Need Help! Yaskawa drives and motors

Thread: Yaskawa drives and motors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Yaskawa drives and motors

I have a problem with my cnc machine z-axis. It is 20 years old and equipped with Yaskawa cacr-sr03be12g-e and USAGED-03A21 motor with UTOPI-81AUS encoder (8192 p/r)

The driver is now broken, and unrepairable. Would you know if I can use any other Yaskawa drive with this motor?
    I understood if the voltage 200V and the power 300w are the same, it should work?
    The encoder has 3 parallel channels, unlike the modern serial encoders. This should be matched also as I understood.

I have been searching for second hand Yaskawa drives , and for me it seems that Yaskawa sigma DR2 drive could work
    Does anyone have any experience with this kind of replacements?

The system is controlled with num750 controller, analog +-10v, encoder feedback.

Thank you very much for any further information,
    Joe

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Yaskawa drives and motors

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie-cnc View Post
    I have a problem with my cnc machine z-axis. It is 20 years old and equipped with Yaskawa cacr-sr03be12g-e and USAGED-03A21 motor with UTOPI-81AUS encoder (8192 p/r)

The driver is now broken, and unrepairable. Would you know if I can use any other Yaskawa drive with this motor?
    I understood if the voltage 200V and the power 300w are the same, it should work?
    The encoder has 3 parallel channels, unlike the modern serial encoders. This should be matched also as I understood.

I have been searching for second hand Yaskawa drives , and for me it seems that Yaskawa sigma DR2 drive could work
    Does anyone have any experience with this kind of replacements?

The system is controlled with num750 controller, analog +-10v, encoder feedback.

Thank you very much for any further information,
    Joe
    The SGM also may work if they support the 8Bit Encoder, is your machine using speed control, you may have these manuals

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yaskawa drives and motors-yaskawa-servo-dr2-sigma-servo-user-manual   Yaskawa drives and motors-usaged-pdf  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much!
    My contrioller uses indeed the speed control. About encoder, I am a little bit confused with them.
    In the USAGED-manual it is stated that my motor is equipped with encoder with 8192p/r. does this mean that there are 8192 lines in the encoder disk, and as a quadrature encoder the actual resulution will be 4 x 8192 = 32 768, or is there 2048 lines, and the actual resolution 4 x 2048 = 8192 ?
    is this encoder therefor 11bit = 2048, 13 bit =8192, or 15 bit=32768 ?
    Or has there been many ways to express the resolution?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie-cnc View Post
    Thank you very much!
    My contrioller uses indeed the speed control. About encoder, I am a little bit confused with them.
    In the USAGED-manual it is stated that my motor is equipped with encoder with 8192p/r. does this mean that there are 8192 lines in the encoder disk, and as a quadrature encoder the actual resulution will be 4 x 8192 = 32 768, or is there 2048 lines, and the actual resolution 4 x 2048 = 8192 ?
    is this encoder therefor 11bit = 2048, 13 bit =8192, or 15 bit=32768 ?
    Or has there been many ways to express the resolution?
    If you have an Absolute Encoder it's resolution is 13 Bit or 8192 CPR

If you have a Incremental Encoder and 13 Bit or 8192 CPR then the quadrature count would be 4 x 8192= 32768

1024 is 10 Bit

2048 is 11 Bit,

8192 is 13Bit

32768 is 15 Bit

65536 is 16 Bit

1048576 is 20 Bit

Some of the Yaskawa Encoders can be configured in the Drive to be Absolute or Incremental, I don't think this was available in these older Drives

So how do you calculate how many Bits 2^10=1024

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

As far as I see..
    8192 pulses per rev.
    The controller does not know where these come from. No ?

Mactec ?

It outputs 0-10V.
    Has no idea what motor it runs.
    No ?

Mactec ?

I think you could put any modern clone import ac servo drive on it, with a 8192 encoder and it would work fine.
    I used to do lots of "custom" stuff like this, 20 years ago, and it always worked.

But use a drive with enough torque and power.
    Myself, I would swap the drive and motor as a unit.
    Cheaper, easier, will definitely work, 95-99% ++.

It is usually very much cheaper to put in modern, better, components with specs, than fix old stuff of much lower mechanical capacity.
    I charge by the hour and by the project, these days.

I think/feel it is silly to debug/tune an old system, 5-10-20 hours with maybe some electronic filters/settings needed for good results.
    And then there is zero reliability longer term, due to unforeseen stuff.
    And 20 hours cost 3000€.
    Much better, imho, a new 700€ drive or motor, set it up, done.