It has been several months, but I am finally able to do a write up for my retrofit.

Originally I had my R2E3 milling machine coupled to an Anilam 1100m controller. The biggest problem I encountered was a lack of available memory for programs and also a lack of processing speed for commands given in g-code. This was even more of a problem if I wanted to use a modern CAD/CAM software package such as Fusion 360. My Anilam controller had a very hard time processing any programs fast enough or with enough available memory to be usable. This really limited what I could do on the machine to the point where I was not far away from having a 3,000-pound paper weight.

I did my research and found a couple companies that could offer some kind of replacement retrofit for the Anilam system. Both were pretty cost prohibitive for me because I had not purchased the machine for business use, but rather for hobby use. I just could not justify spending upwards of $6,000 - $10,000 or possibly even more for a retrofit package.

I wanted to see if there were any other options out there for my machine. This led me to CNC zone where I posted a thread about this kind of thing. Jim Dawson was one of the members that replied, had believed I would be able to continue to use some of the electronics, servos and power systems that I already possessed and use them for a custom retrofit along with a software package that he offered me. This would allow me to save a considerable amount of money and ultimately have a machine that would go from nearly useless to fully operable with higher MB g-code files.

This project was done through long distance phone calls and emailing of schematics and pictures. Jim guided me through the various steps that I needed to take in order to make the retrofit happen. This included buying parts such as an office computer, contactors, switches, a special break out board, etc.

Here is a link showing the milling machine in running condition using Jim's software package. All in all, I am very pleased with how it turned out.