Please help identify this encoder

Thread: Please help identify this encoder

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Please help identify this encoder

Small servo motor with encoder, bought five of theses several years ago via eBay, seller did know nothing about motors ... about electrics at all,
    Unfortunately these nice motors are useless without encoder data, even socket not met before.
    Have tried to identify this encoder - no way ... up till today no success.
    Hopefully someone has more expertises and eruditions.

For scale: Encoder height 6 mm, shaft 3 mm , distance between fix screws ca 33 mm.

Thanks,

Regards,

Herbert

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help identify this encoder-img_2952-jpg   Please help identify this encoder-img_2955-jpg   Please help identify this encoder-img_2960-jpg   Please help identify this encoder-img_2963-jpg  

Last edited by Herbertkabi; 03-29-2017 at 07:32 AM. Reason: upload images

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Please help identify this encoder

Herbertkabi,
    I think I would draw out the simple schematic for the encoder. There are only a few parts on the encoder assembly and you can google the part number and get the pinouts and draw the schematic. Most encoders are pretty simple there is normally a plastic or glass disc inside that has been etched with lines which is fragile and should not be touched. There there is a photo transistor that registers each pulse, that normally goes to a differential driver so you can get A,A-,B,B-, and sometimes Z,Z- outputs, then you normally have 5V and Ground as power inputs. Looks like there are 10 connection points, they might also carry out an index pulse. The two heavier traces to the good pins are most likely the power pins for the encoder.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi Russ,
    Many thanks for your attention,
    10 connection points you mentioned belongs to motor, three phase inputs and hall sensors, included +/-V.
    Connector for encoder locates just opposite - on the quad part of black plastic encoder body, there four visible conductors like going inside but connector itself has 7 very small female pins, male side itself must to be very thin.
    On the centre of pins there is small damage, just visible.

Regards,

Herbert

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help identify this encoder-img_2967-jpg   Please help identify this encoder-img_2968-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Herbert,
    The LM393 is a differential comparator which is part of the encoder detection circuit. It is hard to tell from the photo but is that a 2x4 set of pins for the encoder connection? I don't see the 7 small female pins? maybe put an arrow in the picture. That is a pretty tiny motor.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You right ... my sight is like it is ... there were no female pins ... just blend-plug was inserted, you can see removed view.
    The only thing I have found out is bit bigger but very similar motor Brushless DC Motor offers high torque to size ratio.
    Looks like nobody able to identify this encoder. OK, so I need to break one motor into pieces to see code wheel to suppose accuracy visually ...is it promising or not.
    30 min later:
    Now I tried to remove encoder, code wheel has fix screw on the side of hub ... I thought I have all screwdrivers but ... 0.93 hex driver is too small, next I have is 1,2mm ... too big ...:
    inch sizes also not fit ... to find the right tool will take time, perhaps to see just the code wheel I need to use some barbarous method :-(

May be this motor is good, may be not, but his encoder is why I am very interested - especially dimensions are suitable for my running project.
    Is this encoder very good (!) or good or not good ... this is reason why ;-)

Regards,

Herbert

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help identify this encoder-img_2969-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Herbert,
    That looks like an eight conductor ribbon cable connector which has four connections on one side and four connections on the other side. Most encoders have the following signals A, A/ ,B ,B/, Z, Z/, and VCC, GND. Some encoders do not provide the index pulse which is Z and Z/

I do that that is your encoder connection, no question. If you can figure out which two points are the power connections you could use a scope to determine the rest of the connections.

Russ