Newbe question looking for a what controller to use.

Thread: Newbe question looking for a what controller to use.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbe question looking for a what controller to use.

Looking for help. Ihave started a build using twin ballscrews to move the carriage. Using two motors I need a card that can runthese. I am looking recommendations acontroller. One that I can marry the twotogether to run the carriage.

If there is a name to use for this set up please let me know.

The plan is to use it for Plasma cutting and light routerwork.

Photos on the build will be posted soon.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbe question looking for a what controller to use.

Your axis would likely be referenced as "XYYZ" if you're doubling the Y axis. LinuxCNC handles this imperfectly and in a complicated fashion; Mach3 does it simply and elegantly. The generic Chinese "5-axis Mach3 Interface board" handles either Mach3 our LinuxCNC, if you're looking for a PC/parallel port based controller.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by 1stPrototype; 03-29-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you looking for stepper drives? The "controller" is the software/hardware that runs the machine, but it doesn't run motors by itself.

And your talking about a slaved axis.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I know I have the terms wrong.

The two screws that move the gantry will have to move together. (y axis?)
    Being new I spent money on motors and cards to drive them. The Chinese board the is USB to the computer will not work with Mach 3 and the software that came with it will not run two Nemas as needed for my design.
    So I looking so for the card that sends the signals to the cards the control the Nemas.

Thanks for the help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by outlawspeeder View Post
    I know I have the terms wrong.

The two screws that move the gantry will have to move together. (y axis?)
    Being new I spent money on motors and cards to drive them. The Chinese board the is USB to the computer will not work with Mach 3 and the software that came with it will not run two Nemas as needed for my design.
    So I looking so for the card that sends the signals to the cards the control the Nemas.

Thanks for the help.
    The board I was referencing does work with Mach3 -- in fact, it has "Mach3" printed right on the circuit board It's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That board is everywhere, under many different names, but all made in the same factory in China. It will work with Mach3, using a parallel port -- but ONLY on Windows 32-bit installations. There are no Mach3 drivers supported for 64-bit Windows -- I've already barked up that tree...

Mach3 will use the term "slave axis" or XYYZ config. LinuxCNC will only refer to XYYZ config, but does not really implement the "slave" concept. It can have either two independent motors receiving the same Y-axis step and direction signals (ugly, error-prone), or you can earn a degree in computer science by studying and implementing an add-on to LinuxCNC called Gantrykins to approximate the slaving function in Mach3. It's not for the timid.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1stPrototype View Post
    The board I was referencing does work with Mach3 -- in fact, it has "Mach3" printed right on the circuit board It's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That board is everywhere, under many different names, but all made in the same factory in China. It will work with Mach3, using a parallel port -- but ONLY on Windows 32-bit installations. There are no Mach3 drivers supported for 64-bit Windows -- I've already barked up that tree...

Mach3 will use the term "slave axis" or XYYZ config. LinuxCNC will only refer to XYYZ config, but does not really implement the "slave" concept. It can have either two independent motors receiving the same Y-axis step and direction signals (ugly, error-prone), or you can earn a degree in computer science by studying and implementing an add-on to LinuxCNC called Gantrykins to approximate the slaving function in Mach3. It's not for the timid.
    This is not really true anymore, gantrykins is no longed needed with LinuxCNC master.
    LinuxCNC master has merged the joints-axis branch and supports gantry configurations
    with slaved axis and gantry homing natively.