Power requirement for closed loop system.

Thread: Power requirement for closed loop system.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Power requirement for closed loop system.

Hello everyone,
    that's my first post on CNCZone and as I was not able to find an adequate answer within the forum
    to solve my doubts, I'm posting the following, in the hope I'm writing on the correct area.

I'm trying to build my first 3 axis cnc router and I'll employ 3 closed-loop motor+driver to move the machine.
    Precisely, I'm thinking to use a kit as of the one in the following picture for each axis:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=354318&stc=1

The motor should have the fallowing features:

Rated voltage/current 4.52V/4A
    resistance 1.13ohm
    Inductance 3.6mH
    Hold torque 3NM

Now, I'm really in trouble trying to figure out what should be the requirements to correctly power these 3 motors.
    As stated in this article: Power Supplies – CNC 4 Everyone I should consider the following formula to estimate the correct absorption of current:

Current = Amps needed per drive * Number of drives *0,7

which leads me to a power supply able to provide at least: 8,4A.
    As I've found that some users suggests to use at least one power supply of 48V - 7,5A for each motor/driver unit, thus 3 separate power supply, it will be really appreciated if someone with more experience with closed loop systems can bring me on the right path.

Thank you very much for reading my post and eventually for the info You'll provide.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power requirement for closed loop system.-closed_loop_nema23-jpg  
    Last edited by rebeldevil; 03-10-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Power requirement for close loop system.

One single 10 amp power supply should be fine.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Power requirement for closed loop system.

Thank you very much for your answer. You've provided a link to a 15V power supply. Don't you think this is too low voltage?

Last edited by rebeldevil; 03-10-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't provide any links.
    It was probably an auto generated link from the forum...

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

You mention closed loop, are those steppers or servo's, the voltage appears too low for typical servo?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry ger21, anyway thank you for your answer.

Last edited by rebeldevil; 03-10-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    You mention closed loop, are those steppers or servo's, the voltage appears too low for typical servo?
    Al.
    Thank you for the answer, the kit is selled as "Servo Motor & Hybrid HSS57H" driver. Can that help to make some suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you need a stepper motor instead of a servo motor, servo motors are best for laser/plasma CNC applications that doesnt require hold torque on the shaft, on the other hand on a 3 axis CNC mill the stepper motors are the best for the milling applications because it can steadily hold it`s postion when in Z motion, closed loop motors tend to mis allign the X and the Y axis during the Z down motion because when at rest the motors have more likely have lesser hold torque on the shaft itself compared to the steppers that completely hold it`s position during the Z axis operation, I may be wrong but that`s what I observed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    I think you need a stepper motor instead of a servo motor, servo motors are best for laser/plasma CNC applications that doesnt require hold torque on the shaft, on the other hand on a 3 axis CNC mill the stepper motors are the best for the milling applications because it can steadily hold it`s postion when in Z motion, closed loop motors tend to mis allign the X and the Y axis during the Z down motion because when at rest the motors have more likely have lesser hold torque on the shaft itself compared to the steppers that completely hold it`s position during the Z axis operation, I may be wrong but that`s what I observed.
    Thank you for your reply. As far I've understand this is an hybrid type of motor, both stepper and servo. Thats absolutely not my field and if someone can explain with some concise tech info about what this does mean, it will be really appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rebeldevil View Post
    Thank you for your reply. As far I've understand this is an hybrid type of motor, both stepper and servo. Thats absolutely not my field and if someone can explain with some concise tech info about what this does mean, it will be really appreciated.
    Can I ask a question sir? if you rotate the shaft on that motor does it have steps? or no? because if it does it`s a stepper type, but if it`s smooth it`s a closed loop type, either way if the rated voltage on that motor type is 5V then I guess you can use a computer power supply on that one and it`s safer too because a typical PS unit on a PC can just shutdown if over current occurs, most PC power supplies nowadays have a rated 30-50 amp on the 5V side depending on the model, and yes I encountered low voltage stepper motors back in the days when I was still in high school, and I find them a bit laggish when turning compared to the 48VDC type that is more snappier and quicker to react on the codes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can I ask a question sir? if you rotate the shaft on that motor does it have steps? or no? because if it does it`s a stepper type, but if it`s smooth it`s a closed loop type, either way if the rated voltage on that motor type is 5V then I guess you can use a computer power supply on that one and it`s safer too because a typical PS unit on a PC can just shutdown if over current occurs, most PC power supplies nowadays have a rated 30-50 amp on the 5V side depending on the model, and yes I encountered low voltage stepper motors back in the days when I was still in high school, and I find them a bit laggish when turning compared to the 48VDC type that is more snappier and quicker to react on the codes.
    Hi Sir., I was able to ask the seller and He says that the motor is a simple stepper one but, obviously, with encoder on the back side.
    I've found a similar model from another seller which reports on the driver case an input voltage between 24-50 V.
    I've haven't got one in my hand actually, anyway thank you for sharing your experience.

Downloads
    Uploads

You must have been used the wrong system and or drives!
    All industrial CNC systems use servo's and any kind of poor positioning would not be tolerated.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.