Analog drives for DC motors that run encoders?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Analog drives for DC motors that run encoders?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Analog drives for DC motors that run encoders?

Hi everyone,

I have decided that I would like to get rid of my old CNCcontroller and go with a Mach3 set up. My milling machine runs three Baldormotors that are all the same. They are 90V DC servo motors that have encodersbuilt into them. I believe they are rated at 90V and 5.4A continuous.

Is there a schematic I can get somewhere online where it canshow me how to wire three servo drivers, the breakout board, the power supply,stop switches and such? I have seen some people on YouTube talk about theirMach3 conversions, but they always run stepper motors. It makes me think thatmy setup will probably not be the same as theirs.

Any ideas on what I should buy and how I should wire it allup? Also, my current controller has fully functioning drivers for the servosalready, but they are just really old and I don’t want to lean on the idea thatI can trust them indefinitely as they were installed on my mill back in 1995.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Analog drives for DC motors that run encoders?

The old drives are most likely ±10vdc and also could have tach feedback.
    Drives for DC motors are fairly common, you can use the A-M-C ±10vdc drives but would need Linux or Kmotion Mach add-on on.
    There is step/dir drives that are out there if you want to just use just Mach alone.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Depending on your budget, the easiest way to do this is with a Galil Motion Control board. Compatible with Mach3, and will run your drives and use your encoders. A bit expensive new, but available used on Ebay at reasonable prices. There are several models that are compatible with Mach3.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am ok with spending up to about a thousand for getting the mill fixed up. I see there are some Galil Motion control boards on eBay. The one I am looking at is called DMC-1040 REV.C PC BOARD. The end of that motion control board that would exit the rear of the computer has what looks to be a long flat ribbon cable connector. Would this be the kind that I should get? My mill has its electronics segregated into two cabinets on either side of the mill. One has what looks to be a Windows 95 based PC in it and has a wire bundle that exits it and runs over to the other cabinet that has all the old drivers to run the servos.

I assume I would need a certain operating system and also software for the computer to actually run that control board?

Last edited by jake2465; 02-01-2017 at 07:07 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Gecko makes a brushed dc servo drive that accepts step and direction.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have used the Galil cards several times and I can vouch for their effectiveness but and and it is a big but you will need an almost impossible to obtain connector
    which is similar to 100 way scsi connector. Galil sell these and the breakout boards but they are pricey. I use a CSMIO/IP/a which work well and much easier and
    arguably cheaper to setup.One drawback is that they only accept differential encoder inputs unlike the Galil card. Some of the older Galil cards are designed to work with ISA slots which are thin on the ground and the cards are full length and need a full size case to accept them.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd also lean towards the CS Labs IP-A

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jake2465 View Post
    I am ok with spending up to about a thousand for getting the mill fixed up. I see there are some Galil Motion control boards on eBay. The one I am looking at is called DMC-1040 REV.C PC BOARD. The end of that motion control board that would exit the rear of the computer has what looks to be a long flat ribbon cable connector. Would this be the kind that I should get? My mill has its electronics segregated into two cabinets on either side of the mill. One has what looks to be a Windows 95 based PC in it and has a wire bundle that exits it and runs over to the other cabinet that has all the old drivers to run the servos.

I assume I would need a certain operating system and also software for the computer to actually run that control board?
    Does the pc have a parallel port? If so, and if the baldor motors are brushed dc, then the simplist (and cheapest ) approach is to go with some gecko G320X drives and Linux CNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

What would you suggest I do? I plan to take plenty of pictures of my current setup so I can be better helped. Would going with the Galil PC card be the best option, or would going with something different and totally new drives be the best bet? I won't be able to tackle this on my own so I would need to take pictures and start to layout what I currently have so people can assist me. As I mentioned earlier, I imagine Centroid is the bomb.com, but I can't afford to toss several thousand into this old mill. It's simply just my hobby mill and I like to use Fusion 360 to post process code for my parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

What would you suggest I do? I plan to take plenty of pictures of my current setup so I can be better helped. Would going with the Galil PC card be the best option, or would going with something different and totally new drives be the best bet? I won't be able to tackle this on my own so I would need to take pictures and start to layout what I currently have so people can assist me. As I mentioned earlier, I imagine Centroid is the bomb.com, but I can't afford to toss several thousand into this old mill. It's simply just my hobby mill and I like to use Fusion 360 to post process code for my parts.
    Post pictures of your motors and the back of your pc, plus model number of motors.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can double check to see if the PC has a parallel port. But, I believe I would want to get another more modern PC. I can probably buy the cheapest PC around and it would far outclass what I am currently running. Like, this thing is currently boasting a sizzling 1.1 Megs of available space. When I load a program, it takes three minutes for it to process it before it pops up on the auto screen for a cycle start... I usually have coffee ready before I do this.

I do like the Gecko idea as I imagine it would be easier for me to get helped because those are being used all the time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I will do that. You will have some pictures by this evening.

Downloads
    Uploads

The CS Labs IP-A may let you use your existing motors, and uses an ethernet connection. If you can use the existing drives, it should save quite a bit of money.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I see there are some Galil Motion control boards on eBay. The one I am looking at is called DMC-1040 REV.C PC BOARD.
    I have used many DMC-1040 boards, they are great at motion control and simple CNC applications, but the software is just about non-existant for a CNC fron end for these, they are now dated and Galil Legacy products, the Mach plug in does NOT work with these older boards.
    You need the current models.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

As far as Galil/Mach3 compatibility, a DMC-18x0, DMC-18x6, DMC-41x3, DMC-40x0, DMC-21x0 or DMC-22x0 would be my choice. ( x = number of axis)

For the DMC-18xx and the 2xx0, the 100 pin cable can normally only be purchased from Galil, 1 meter $175. I have seen some cards from Ebay include the cable

With the 100 pin cable you also need a breakout board, ICM-2900, or a Phoenix Contact p/n 5602077 (recommend) Around $300 new from various vendors, or available on Ebay for much less.

Using Galil is not the least cost, but they are pretty much bullet proof and work well. I have installed about 75 of them over the years and have had only one failure, which I think was from a lightning strike. They will run just about any motor/drive combination, AC & DC servos, and steppers in open or closed loop in any combination. So if you want to change out the motors/drives down the road, then this is a good choice.

On my mill with a DMC-1846, I am running DC servos on the X & Y, a closed loop stepper on my Z, and an open loop stepper on the 4th axis. On my router with a DMC-1846, I'm running all closed loop steppers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some picture of my current setup.Analog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0273-jpgAnalog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0272-jpgAnalog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0273-jpgAnalog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0271-jpgAnalog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0277-jpgAnalog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0278-jpgAnalog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0279-jpgAnalog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0287-jpgAnalog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0302-jpgAnalog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0292-jpgAnalog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0299-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

The electronics are divided into two different cabinets. One contains the computer and the other has the various cards with drives and such. The cabinet with the computer has two main loomed wire bundles that exit it. One being for the controller / monitor and the other that goes to the other cabinet and connects to that large card that sits above the X Y and Z axis driver cards. I am pretty sure that this whole system was built by Anilam as a retrofit. Many of the wires are labeled and all of the drivers are labeled with Anilam as well.

The PC is a kind I have not seen before. It has no hard drive. I think the "motherboard" may be the one with the ribbon cable coming off of the 3.5" floppy drive.

Downloads
    Uploads

Analog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0270-jpgAnalog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0283-jpgAnalog drives for DC motors that run encoders?-img_0284-jpg

Here is a picture of the PC from a slightly different angle. Also there are a couple pictures of where the cannon plugs for the X Y and Z axis enter the cabinet.

Downloads
    Uploads

The drives look like Servo Dynamics SD-1525's Same as in my mill. They do take a +/- 10 V analog command signal It looks like the motors have a built in encoder, as well as the tach that the drives require for feedback.

Is that an Anilam control on your machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    The drives look like Servo Dynamics SD-1525's Same as in my mill. They do take a +/- 10 V analog command signal It looks like the motors have a built in encoder, as well as the tach that the drives require for feedback.

Is that an Anilam control on your machine?
    Yes, it is a Anilam 1100m control.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast