HELP: STEP & DIR to A+ A- B+ B-

Thread: HELP: STEP & DIR to A+ A- B+ B-

Downloads
    Uploads

Default HELP: STEP & DIR to A+ A- B+ B-

HELP,

I have AC servos that have option for encoder equivelent input.
    Anyone know what is needed to connect and operate these devices?

Mach3, Ethernet Smooth Stepper, PMDX-126
    need to connect to Kollmorgen S600 with A+ A- B+ B- inputs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP: STEP & DIR  to  A+ A- B+ B--wiring-4-21-15-bmp  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HELP: STEP & DIR to A+ A- B+ B-

Quote Originally Posted by jxdxwx View Post
    HELP,

I have AC servos that have option for encoder equivelent input.
    Anyone know what is needed to connect and operate these devices?

Mach3, Ethernet Smooth Stepper, PMDX-126
    need to connect to Kollmorgen S600 with A+ A- B+ B- inputs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I don't know the specs on your servos/drives..
    But servos don't have encoder inputs. They output only. The encoders needs to be connected to the servo drives inputs.
    Connect the pulse/dir signals to the servo drives. The manufacturers usually have cables with the right connectors btw motor & drive.

Can't tell more without manuals or more info.

Hub

:) Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

first post and an answer.

The Servostar 600 has a Step/Dir Interface. If you look in the instruction manual (downloadable at kollmorgen.com), there is an example on how to connect +5V Step/Dir signals.In my english manual from 07/2010 it's on pages 61/62 at point 8.12.5. The max. frequency is maybe 1,5 MHz. There is no info in the manual. Only frequency given for SSI Interface. I asked a Kollmorgen Technician and he thought this should be ok. But if you drive them with Mach3 and a normal PC with parallel port, this should not be a problem.

In the setup software you have to choose electrical gearing for this to work. Settings for gearing are 4096 I think. Found this somewhere but do not remember where.

I for myself never tested this and never found any more information, but wanted to know how this works, cause we use Servostar 400/600/700 in our company (but with CAN-BUS) and maybe some time I can get some of them if customer don't request the repairs.

Edit: seen that you use SmoothStepper, so you can use higher frequency.
    The Port you posted is for connecting an external rotary encoder Wikipedia or Signals from another Servodrive for Master/Slave. But when you use Kollmorgen servo drives, they have a resolver and so this is never needed.

Greetings

AlexRu

Downloads
    Uploads

Alex,

I have since been helped and wired this according to same as what you advised. It absolutely does work.
    Not sure what the 4096 number represents. Would like to know more about that as it may be something I need to look into. I got mine geared where it appears to be correct because of mach3 accuracy. But having a problem that may possibly be related to gearing.

Although I am still trying to get my machine up and running, it is currently working but sometimes I am having a flashing 'o' error message and drives fault when my spindle starts up and the machine tries to rapid to ZERO when starting a program. The 'over current' error I am seeing is said to be possibly from ramping down too fast???

Do you have any input on that? Or what my velocity etc settings should be in Mach3 tuning?

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Alex,

Attached is picture how I wired the drives using the resistors. (didn't work without them)

Do you know anything about spindle drives? I am lost in setting up my GE/Fuji AF-300E$ drive with 10hp 24k rpm Colombo spindle. I don't even know if it is a PWM, VFD VSD or what.
    My machine is a retrofit, not a scratch build so most of the wiring was already done except the communication wires. Got those connected to where the spindle at least comes on when it should. But feel that my settings are WAY out of whack.

What kind of machines do you work on at work?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP: STEP & DIR  to  A+ A- B+ B--attachment-jpeg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

we build machines for food industry and I'm building my portal cnc with stepper drives at the moment. Hardware is done but electrical needs some work. So I only can tell you what I read till now about Mach3 and the rest. I only know about the servo drives a bit, cause I check them when we get them delivered or when we do some testing.

What type of Servostar 600 (601/603/606/620/640) and what type of motor do you have? Is the right motor set in the amplifier?

For the 4096 I checked the settings in the drive software. It means, you need 4096 impulses to do one turn. If you set it to 2048 or 1024 you can drive faster with the same frequency given by the SmoothStepper for the Step signals but also loosing accuracy.

For the overcurrent you should get n01 message at the display. It's current over time. When it reaches 100% you get the error and the motor stops or is slowing down. When reaching a lower value, it goes on with full speed. This could happen with wrong settings or the motor is not strong enough and you need a gear. You can look in the software at monitor how much current (I²t) the motor needs when running. What is shown when you run it at normal speed? We say that 50-60% in continous run is ok. If higher then the motor get hot and maybe burns over time.

Tuning of the whole system is not that easy, but you can use the oscilloscope function in the drive software to check the tuning. If you have somebody who knows a bit about the software, it is easier. With the oscilloscope you have to look what the amplifier / motor is doing when you ZERO. Maybe the ramps too high or the speed is too fast.

I don't know how Kollmorgen is setting the standard parameters for the motors. They can work, but most of the time you have to tweak the settings.

Greets

Alex

Downloads
    Uploads

My machine is a retrofit of an industrial router.
    All drives, motors, spindle etc are original to the machine.
    Below are my gearing parameters, Servo and motors.

GEARMODE=4 GEARI=400 GEARO=127

Drive Model #: SR03200-2G203B
    Motor Model #: M-203-B

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a problem to start my AC servo Kollmorgen from a step dir on the X5 connector, you can tell me how you connected your servo because I can not do it for you.
    greeting

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Blog.txpto.com here there are a step/dir converter to encoder A and B and works perfectly

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

http://blog.txpto.com - CNC, Wood, Art, Clay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

por favor envíeme los detalles de este producto, lep job,
    Gracias saludos

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

En mi blog puedes encontrar los esquemas , la placa y la lista de materiales.
    No tengo más información, más que la que puedes descargar gratuitamente de la web
    Yo tengo 3 montados y van perfectos.
    Saludos

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Me disculpo pero no entendí el principio de trabajo si hay un boceto, un diagrama de bloques, cualquier entrada / salida de un paso / dir qué señal obtienes. Trabajé con step / dir a + -10v. Pero no entendí esta variante.
    saludo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pasame tu email y te mando esquemas

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads