Newbie CNCdrive DG4s-08020 Configuration help

Thread: CNCdrive DG4s-08020 Configuration help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNCdrive DG4s-08020 Configuration help

Hello,

I have a CNCdrive DG4S-08020 driver that I am trying to get to work with a servo motor off of a Bridgeport, without much luck.

I am able to load the Servoconfigurator3 software, get it to talk to the CNCdrive, tweak and download the PID tuning parameters, and analyse the drive, but no matter what values I try, the output always looks like the following (an immediate spike with no waveform there after):

Attachment 253166

When running these tests, the motor runs for 0.5 to 1 seconds before going into fault mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to diagnose and debug this arrangement?

I am also uncertain where to start my PID tuning Ap, Ad, and Ai settings.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNCdrive DG4s-08020 Configuration help-capture-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNCdrive DG4s-08020 Configuration help

phf43,

Have you tried inverting the motor wire connections?

The motor may be running opposite the encoder direction.

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

looks like you are at the same point that I am with my bridgeport. were you able to resolve your problem?

Downloads
    Uploads

bump, I am having the same problem with my bridgeport retrofit, the config on the left (brown) is just like yours, and not matter what changes I make in the settings, I get the same results. The servo will run for half a second, then stop. If I try to turn it by hand, it will spin as if I clicked the analize button.

The config on the right (grey) is where I swapped the ARM wires on the servo, but the shaft got pretty hot and it oscillated like crazy, and will keep oscillating until I kill power to the cabinet.
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...pskjvs3txb.png
    Did either of you guys figure this out?

Downloads
    Uploads

Bill,

I was over at bhouin (Bob's) shop troubleshooting his setup. The main problem he was having ended up being caused by the placement of the DG6 Differential line drivers.

Where are the differential line drivers mounted? Are they mounted near the servo motors?

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I have them about five inches from the encoders as this was to be a temporary setup until I got things to actually work as intended. What ended up working for him?

Downloads
    Uploads

update:
    I contacted Balazs at cncdrive and he was right on the money with everything, GREAT customer service!!! I did have the ARM wires backwards, but when I tried that last night it oscilated like crazy and got my servo smoking! I hope I didn't do any major damage.....

Anyways, sent him screen shots of the PID tuning, and he said it was correct wave signals, just needed to do some different base settings, AND he guessed it right that I was using amt103 encoders and the resolution was too high.

Now my servo is acting better during tuning, but when I try to get it to move using Mach3, nothing happens. I get the led's on my c32 to light up for step and direction, I checked with my ohm meter about checking the pins vs pinout, everything looks like it should, but no movement. It holds it's position, but no movement..... Green led flashing on the drive......I assume straight through pinout for the c34 board since it does not have one in the manual. I am relying on the 12vdc from the c34 to power the drivers logic circuit and did not hook up the 5vdc from the c32.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I tried using one of the other servos, and still no luck. Holding power, but no movement with axis jogging. I might need to have the first servo repaired though, when I spin it by hand it goes pretty smooth except for one spot that is pretty hard to turn. Probably where it was oscillating and overheated....bummer. Might try hooking it up to another driver, but other than that, I have no idea......

Downloads
    Uploads

looks like I am finding the problem, just not sure why it is happening. I checked for voltage at the c32 BOB when the step and direction led's light up at the end of the eithernet cable that plugs into the c34. I have 5vdc for the direction, and 2.5vdc for step. Now the end of the ethernet cable that plugs into the driver is not showing ANY voltage for step/direction, but is showing voltage for the 12vdc that comes from the c34 to power the logic circuit in the driver. So, it seems the problem is either in the wiring to/from the c34, or the c34 is bad? The manual for the c34 says nothing about pin in or pin out, so I assumed it was straight through? I wired it so the pin out of the c32 matches up with the pin in of the driver.

edit:
    Nevermind, thought I had to reaarange the pinout according to the c32 to dg4s pinout, did not know to use a straight through cable, the c34dg rearranged the pins....

Last edited by billsnogo; 05-25-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am also trying to get my DS4G drivers and Fanuc servos tuned.

I am also using the Fanuc 2500 Count resolvers.

I am getting a fairly good looking plot when running the analyzer but the servos when they’re sitting idol make a fairly loud humming noise that doesn’t sound normal.

I cannot figure out how to add a photo showing the PID parameters
    Thanks
    Chuck