AB Ultra3000 and Kollmorgen servo motor

Thread: AB Ultra3000 and Kollmorgen servo motor

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default AB Ultra3000 and Kollmorgen servo motor

Hi all,

I am a little confused about encoders interfaces.
    I have a AB Ultra3000 servo drive which AB says it can accept multiturn absolute encoders. Kollmorgen has the AKM serie servomotors with multiturn absolute encoders. When I compare the output of the Kollmorgen servomotor output with the Ultra3000 servodrive input I find some mismach in signals names (see the two pictures of the signales). My question can this servo motor with this encoder interface be interfaced to the Ultra3000 drive??. Anyone experience with this combination? please help.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AB Ultra3000 and Kollmorgen servo motor-interfaces-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi tech z

It should work with the AB drive. There are a few differences between the motor and drive, but not enough to prevent them from working. A+, A-, B+, & B- are the Sine and Cosine channels. The connections are the biggest difference I can see as we do not match pin for pin. Also, the AB is looking for the I+ and I- channels [index channel, and output that occurs once per motor rev.] and we generate that and send it out in the DATA stream.

My only concern is the use of the term Commutation Channel by the AB drive. I believe this is what we call the DATA and CLOCK channels, but which DATA and which are CLOCK would need to be determined.

The encoder we use is a Heidenhain sine encoder, which is very recognizable in Europe. I hope this is helpful.

-Kollmorgen