how to safely use 3000mw laser head mounted on cnc

Thread: how to safely use 3000mw laser head mounted on cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default how to safely use 3000mw laser head mounted on cnc

Hi,
    first of all, this is my first post here, thank to you all that make this cummunity a great source of information for diy hobbyist like me.
    I am new to cnc, I have built a DIY cnc milling machine and it is working great, exept that I have to get a better grisp on the software and programming side of thing, but that is another subjet, the machine is worling well on the 3 axis.
    Then I tough, I will mount a cheap chinese laser side by side with the mill to be able to burn thing and make some cool looking thing I don't know what , but laser are cool.
    So I bought a cheap 3000mw 450nm laser diode on ebay, exactly this one:
    Focusable 450nm 3W Blue Laser Module TTL Carving/Burning/Engraning Gift Goggles | eBay

It come with a pair a safety glasses, that I totally don't trust! anyway.
    Then I begin to have safety concern about operating, calibrating and playing with this laser, This is not a cheap 5mw laser pointer laser, from what I read, its a class 4 laser ( output greater than 500mw) and the more I read about it, the more I am aware of all the possible hazard and danger of this thing,
    I will shop for a safety glasse for 450nm laser, but I don't know wich one to buy, there is a parameter on glasse called 'OD' that make the laser dimmer of a certain factor, but on the laser I am buying, it say nothing about what "OD" glasses I should buy, anyone have a tip on this? If I buy with "OD" too low, the laser will not be dimmed enought to be safe, and if I buy with the "OD" too high, I will not be able to see the laser at all, is that correct?
    Also, another concern I have: If I can't look directly at the laser ( obviously) and I can't look at the reflection, how can I perform a good focusing of the laser beam , knowing that the focusing system is done by rotating the lens by hand? I have to see the dot?

I have read enought about all the potential danger of this type of laser, now that I know it and I am aware, I want to know how can I operate it safely, and that is where I am lacking information, I see everywhere danger, warning and hazard, but no where documentation about how to perform calibration and operation once you know the danger.

Anyone using this king of cheap laser ( this is not co2 , and the machine is not in a enclosure), can descripe to me how it operate it safely, and what glasses he is using to pretoect there eyes, I don't trust the 3$ one on ebay,

thank you very much,
    Martin