Human Porcupine... how not be become Wolverine... metal splinters during cleaning

Thread: Human Porcupine... how not be become Wolverine... metal splinters during cleaning

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Human Porcupine... how not be become Wolverine... metal splinters during cleaning

This is one of the topics that has been bothering me for some ages and I yet have to find a good solution:

Don't get me wrong - I like "Wolverine" as much as the next guy does... but for some reason every time I thoroughly clean the CNC Milling machine (and no it has no chip-conveyor) I end up turning myself into Wolverine-Light - the human porcupine. And will have to spend quality time with a set of surgical tweezers and hypodermic needle to eliminate the metal sticking in my hands.

I've tried about any type of glove I could find (AND NO: I DO NOT wear gloves when OPERATING the machine... it's about cleaning them).... so far the best is a combination of Nitril gloves and a pair of leather gloves over that.
    But depending on the steel - some stuff just makes microscopically sharp "chips" / "Splinters" that will easily penetrate every glove.

The vacuum does a good job to get rid of most, but when I have to basically reach in to get the nozzle into the corners and stuff I most often still end up with a few splinters.

A larger milling machine I've used at different shop has a cleaning power-spray nozzle (basically a water-jet which sprays coolant liquid and can be used to wash the inside of the machine to some extends... but that would require a fully proofed housing I guess..

Magnet in a bag works partially, at least for magnetic materials - but it has it's limits, especially if the stuff is "sticky" (coolant that has dried, oily stuff, etc)...

Any ideas?

The thing is this: it's not lethal, it's not particularly dangerous... but it's annoying as hell.
    I've got a my fair share of scars from working with metal over almost 20 years... and I've learned how to suture as well - I don't consider those splinters a reason to quit the job, I love metal work far too much for that kind of nonsense.
    But if anyone has a working solution to get rid of that annoyance... please by all means, share and I'll be forever grateful.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Human Porcupine... how not be become Wolverine... metal splinters during cleaning

Giraffes have a technique for eating leaves off this tree that is covered in long needle like protrusions without getting poked. Perhaps we can learn something from them?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Human Porcupine... how not be become Wolverine... metal splinters during cleaning

Just remember to wash your hands BEFORE using the toilet, as well as afterwards...

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DavidhCNC View Post
    Giraffes have a technique for eating leaves off this tree that is covered in long needle like protrusions without getting poked. Perhaps we can learn something from them?
    Maybe I should buy one then
    Would certainly be an eye-catcher at the shop.
    Not sure if the giraffe would assist in the cleaning of the mill though...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Just remember to wash your hands BEFORE using the toilet, as well as afterwards...
    Oh my... that made my evening ...

- - - Updated - - -

Is there no such thing as a truly puncture proof glove?

Update:
    A search led me to this:
    https://www.turtleskin.com/webstore/...-needle-gloves
    Anyone gave them a try??
    Sounds like the solution.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ferrumdg View Post
    Maybe I should buy one then
    Would certainly be an eye-catcher at the shop.
    Not sure if the giraffe would assist in the cleaning of the mill though...
    No because you would have to hoist the mill 15 feet up in the air every time you wanted it cleaned.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use an air-blast with an occasional pulse of kero/oil mist. The chips end up dry. I think that may be part of the secret for me.

Then I use a good shop-vac to clean out the interior. That seems to work just about every time - with DRY chips.
    In between I sometimes use a brush from a brush&pan set. That works quite well too, especially for cleaning the surface of the mill table.
    I don't think either approach has turned me into any sort of wolverine.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Stop using your hands. Get a broom and wrap rags around it. Get a small garden rake. Do anything but use your hands where the chips are, because the way you're using your hands isn't working for you. I'm partial to sticks and screwdrivers with rags stuck to the ends. Otherwise, you may just have to force yourself to slow down and pay attention to what your hands are touching as you're working.

Later,
    Charlie