Scary Stuff

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Scary Stuff

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Scary Stuff

OK, to start the "safety" juices flowing, what is the scariest tool (or stuff) in your shop?
    The tool that gets my highest level of attention is the one that spins a ten inch piece of steel at 3450 rpm in open air - my table saw. I always use push sticks and wear safety glasses. If I had a meat-cutters chain mail glove I would probably wear that too .
    The stuff that raised my hackles the highest was the quart mason jar I found tucked away in a corner of my garage when I moved in. It is labeled cyanide! Holy S--T! Cyanide! What in the world was the previous guy doing with that?

robotic regards,

Tom
    = = = = =
    "Invention is the mother of necessity."
    - - Thorstein Veblen

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tom,
    I have read that most serious wood working injuries occur as a result of table saws. These are probably the most prevelant free standing machines in use except maybe the drill press. I am familiar with an individual who is single handedly trying to make table saws (among other machines) safe. Check out this site:

http://www.sawstop.com/video.htm

I think there are a lot of people out there that would use his device if they were aware of it.

Cyanide?! Hardening steel? Man.

As far as the most dangerous tools go, I can't think of a specific (they have all scared the cr*p out of me from time to time) But what sticks in my mind are the older tools we scrounge or inherit. A lot of these never had proper guards or the guards have been removed. Lost a heart shape chunck of scalp (it grew back) about the size of a dime to an old drill press. The spindle was exposed in a couple of places up through the the head casting and I leaned in a little too close to look down the hole. More embarassing than painful but that machine has a clear plastic guard on it, now. -Doug

Downloads
    Uploads

My phone! I always makes blunders on jobs or even scrapping them after a conversation with a difficult client, now seriously the cut off machine & the bench grinder.....

Klox

*** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine is a 3" fly cutter spinning at 2000 RPM on my mill!

Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My father has a 14" radial arm saw, with a 2' cross cut, 4HP motor. Scares the hell out of me every time!
    I find his Planer/thicknesser rather scary too, pushing that wood over the rotating blades, hmm, what if the wood has a knot through it and snaps?!
    edit, just realised you guys are gonna tell me to use a push stick aren't you!

Downloads
    Uploads

That is unreal! I watched a couple of those videos on the web page and was shocked how quick that works! They should have that on all saw sold! Just unreal, I have never seen anything like that before!

My little piece of the web!
    http://users.adelphia.net/~wjdupont

Downloads
    Uploads

That is amazing. I suppose the legal implications are huge, if the sensor system ever fails from old age or something.

Did anyone ever see that spoof on MAD tv about the "titanium work gloves"? The guy demonstrates how tough these gloves are by trying to cut his hand with a power saw, except, it does cut him. After the fact, then he realizes "These are my gardening gloves, my titanium gloves are over there on my toolbox".

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by HuFlungDung
    That is amazing. I suppose the legal implications are huge, if the sensor system ever fails from old age or something.

Yeah, I hope your cell fone doesn't ring.

Pretty interesting stuff.

'Rekd

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Toymaker if you look down in my sig line you will now understand why it's there. I had a serious injury back in Jan. because of the absence of my mind. I think complacency is the most dangerous thing in the shop and I have the scars to prove it.

Isfoils thank you for that link. That is the most impressive piece of safty equip I have ever seen. I am in the wood business and I use push sticks but I would sure like to have those on my bandsaw and table saw, and if applicable the jointer.

I wonder if that thing would work on a router bit??

turmite

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, don't forget to factor in the cost of hot dogs for testing every once in a while. Or maybe Brat's on the BBQ and cycle the stock before it gets too old.

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I worked several years ago in a fab shop that had this huge drill press with two smaller ones on each side. One day I'm drilling on a small one and the guy next to me on the huge one makes the mistake of wearing gloves while using the drill press. He instinctivly reached in to brush some chips off while the drill was still running with his gloved hand. He now only has four fingers on that hand, the bit caught his glove thumb, wrapped it up around the bit with his thumb inside. The drill never even slowed down as it pulled his thumb off. Very serious injury. I NEVER wear gloves around a drill press, or anything else that spins for that matter. Ron

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by cbcnc
    Hey, don't forget to factor in the cost of hot dogs for testing every once in a while. Or maybe Brat's on the BBQ and cycle the stock before it gets too old.

Chris
    Mmmm, how 'bout some Louisiana Hot Links..

I was working at a shop where a manual mill guy got the sleeve of his smok wrapped around the spindle of a knee mill and twisted the smock sleeve so tight around his fore-arm that it seperated the mussle tissue. Several skin grafts later he had limited use of his arm.

Another guy in the same shop inserted a pem nut precicesly in the middle of his thumb. (Imagine the x-ray). He almost refused to go to the doctor, wanted to stay and work the rest of his shift.

'Rekd

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Downloads
    Uploads

"I think complacency is the most dangerous thing in the shop and I have the scars to prove it."

I agree,and here is another in a single word.

FAMILIARTY, which quickly leads to the above.

We should run machines like we drive cars, defensively!

Downloads
    Uploads

My friend is half the man he used to be, because of his table saw.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

honestly our cnc scares me the most because of the student programmers.....you never now if somethings going to come flying or break a bit (its an old knee mill style unenclosed table)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

the story about a smock getting caught in the spindle scares me.. i am often working with my lathe\mill when i have no business being around heavy equipment.. 4am, with a beer in 1 hand, a manual control in the other, etc.

my lathe really scares me. i can imagine my tool getting caught in the 3-jaw chuch and the whole mess flying right at me.

i also cant help but imagine the 10" radial blade on my mitre saw comming loose and comming right at me...

these visions actually plague me. ive gotten to the point where i wear my goggles even when drilling 1/8" holes in plexiglass....

Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

spinning end mills scare the crap out of me, they like to grab things like nothing. that and my lathe with some horribly mounted steel or really big peices scare me the most. bandsaw, lol, well no probs there. at school the carbide chop saw scares the crap out of me, especially after I broke that bran new blade cutting some steel:O

Jon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bandsaw
    Drill Press
    Table Saw

Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well.
    The scaryist pice of spinning hardware i use on a comment bases would have to be my drimmels.
    Ever sice i broke a bit cutting through the side of a case the thing makes me cringh when i here it baug down for whatever reson.

The bit broke rickeshade off the desk flew straight up grased my forhead leaving a scratch and imbeded itself in my celing about half way. It's still there stuck in a 2x4 or somthing i cant seem to get it loos with pliers.

All tho nowadays im scard of ANYTHING with a belt.
    A few years back i was helping my stepfather move ans set up a large genorator. (were not talking one of those lawnmore moter deals) This thang used a desil engen called a and i quote "Screaming jimmy"
    it's loude!

I digress.
    When we had moved the thing into place and wor starting to try and fire it up i was moving around it to stere clear of the exaust line. As i had reached the front of the engen my foot got cought on a root or somthing and i lost my balance. i found my self falling face first into the busnes end of a flywheel. i grabed for and cought the safty rails or so i thought right as i stood up my stepfather who was on the other side of the genorator and oblivious to my posision tried to crank it up. (And the dam thing sucked my left hand into the gering for the waterpump.)

I'ts amazing how time slows down when somthing like that hapens
    i destinkly remember exaclty how many turns that thing made befor i got my hand free. i remember thinking to my self "It might be a good idea to scream about now" <-That is exacly the words that whent through my mind.

When he herd me scream he puld the ignition wires loos emeditly. i got my hand free only to realise a few seconds later that i was missing half my left index finger.

Wonce the emergincy trip was over and all was sed and done i am half a finger short and have a frozen joint on the finger next to it. a second more and id be missing 2 fingers

When we got back from the hospital i MADE my step dad go out and hit the starting on that thing one more time. would you belve it hadn't made one full revolution befor it roard to life.... that think could have taken off every finger on my left hand if it had done that!

So now whenever i'm around anything with a belt i subconchesly hold my hands behind my back
    Bad eyeballs is one thing (yes im leagily blind) but loosing use of your hands and bad eyeballs is one hell of a nightmare.

put me into one hell of a funk for over a year that did. i had to lern how to type all over again.

my right hand still out runs my left most of the time.

Downloads
    Uploads

This isn't shop related, but it's scary/stupid/funny..

'Rekd teh stupidity may end up being painful after all...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scary Stuff-pod1-jpg  
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast