Scary Stuff - Page 15

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Thread: Scary Stuff

Downloads
    Uploads

I have tried using some of these cheap Chinese cutters on steel, just as an experiment, and the corners quickly chipped off. Yes, they are OK on aluminium and plastic. No, they are not OK on steel.
    The harder carbide is, the more brittle it is. And the geometry for cutting wood is much different than for cutting steel. Both of these factor into why your cheap tools chipped when cutting steel.
    Fwiw, I've accidentally cut steel with very high quality woodworking tooling, and it'll chip just about every time.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Scary stuff, oh ya. Saw an accident report once, guy was cut in half when a part came out of a VTL. I hate those things, seems like the parts always come toward you when they come out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Youtube video

I found this video in youtube,
    a boy trying to stop a lathe with bare hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PzPfzLeDa0&feature=related]I fought the Lathe and the lathe won - YouTube

He was lucky

Downloads
    Uploads

Lucky? I'd say stupid.

Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Downloads
    Uploads

No.. i'd say he's lucky.. lucky that i'm not his teacher.. i'd kick 'm in the "familiy jewels" if i'd had seen him doing that..

Downloads
    Uploads

What was the guy doing on that side of the lathe?.....looks like a set-up to "wow" the Utubers.......the camera was waiting for the "accident" to happen.....dumb arse trick.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

If that lathe was a bit bigger he would have been a candidate for a Darwin award...and a well deserved one at that !

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spam?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand43Ang View Post
    dumb arse trick.
    Spam I think. Delete?

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is your sign!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think there are many shops if any that don't have at least one accident under their belts. For me when I first started at my current employer my boss tried to finish the job I was working on with a press. Came back to a bunch of blood and part of his thumb in the die. Then last month there was another accident where one of the guys was on a bridgeport using a vacuum plate to hold down the part he was working on. He was using a 5 in fly cutter making his finish pass on a 1" thick piece of delrin when the part came lose and shot right at his hand. Ended up turning the bone in his index finger to dust and made his finger explode like a crushed grape. Only thing holding it on was a bit of skin on the bottom of his finger. After doing the math we figured the part came flying off the machine at 485mph when it hit him and bounced over a wall. Other than that I've seen the typical cuts from people pulling on chip wrap or slicing something open while used a razor blade. Having drills go through fingers. Boring bars slicing open a hand.

I did smash my thumb once, stupid me put my hand between the headstock and barfeed to see if the pushrod had gone in yet when the machine cycled back to home position. Still cant fill one side of my thumb.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, any machine, any device can be really dangerous when not used correctly or simply lack of common sense. I knew of a guy who cut his own throat with a cardboard cutter. He was opening some boxes and died, while others were driving forklifts for 20 years in the same warehouse without any incident.

Downloads
    Uploads

Scary stuff indeed. I have a fella working with me who is without doubt the most accident prone unfortunate that I have ever met. In 25 years he has had more accidents
    than the entire factory of 30 or so people. The worst one was on an old pin router( Spindle above table ) We used to use a pattern box and with a hand either side you`d follow the pattern by running it around the pin. Now he`s not one to do anything gently or carefully , his philosphy is that the harder I hit something the harder i`m working . He soon found that "haste makes waste" when the pattern box jumped the pin and he cut the knuckle off his index finger ! Craft knives are another favourite of his too. The only bloke I know who can cut the hand that is holing the knife .......... Try and do that, I challenge you ! The best bit of it all is that he`s the company medic !!! If it moves and it`s sharp then he`ll find a way to bleed !!!

Downloads
    Uploads

We always have safety incidents from other company's laying around for people to see. The latest was of a hoodie sweatshirt covered In blood. He was using a angle grinder and the string from the hoodie got wrapped up and pulled the grinder in to his face and neck.

This is really scary. That's why I always tell my team to always be very careful when handling machines. I implement strict safety rules when at the workplace.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Routerfiend View Post
    Scary stuff indeed. I have a fella working with me who is without doubt the most accident prone unfortunate that I have ever met. In 25 years he has had more accidents
    than the entire factory of 30 or so people. The worst one was on an old pin router( Spindle above table ) We used to use a pattern box and with a hand either side you`d follow the pattern by running it around the pin. Now he`s not one to do anything gently or carefully , his philosphy is that the harder I hit something the harder i`m working . He soon found that "haste makes waste" when the pattern box jumped the pin and he cut the knuckle off his index finger ! Craft knives are another favourite of his too. The only bloke I know who can cut the hand that is holing the knife .......... Try and do that, I challenge you ! The best bit of it all is that he`s the company medic !!! If it moves and it`s sharp then he`ll find a way to bleed !!!
    He needs to be fired.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Scary Stuff

Most often it is when a fellow who is green gets on a machine and it can be Lathe, Mill. grinder, saw, CNC machines and oh boy manual. That is what scares me the most. A good Machinist takes things as they come and will endeavor to fit into the processes of the company they work for and also for the traditional values and skill sets of the trade. They never complain (too much) about having to learn from old mossbacks who try to instill traits like determination, Hyper virulence, high attention to detail, punctuality, reliability, dependability, responsibility, observation, and patience. Steadily plodding forward recovering from our mistakes and showing that we can indeed overcome making a project turn back on to track. We are always optimistic that something can be done yet will be careful about jumping in without counting the opportunity cost of either doing something or not. Communicating this to our employer and then doing our best to support whatever decision about taking that job will mean. Safety is Number 1.

Last edited by roundman; 04-10-2014 at 05:45 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Scary Stuff

OK, this thread's a little old, but I had to add my own stories to it.

Band saw - In college I needed to turn something out of aluminum. I didn't have a piece of stock the right size, but thought I'd be clever - I had a block of aluminum big enough to saw a rough circle out of, then turn it down. The block was roughly 4x4x8 , I needed something like a 3"dia piece 6 long.
    So I raise the guard, start pushing with my thumbs on the bottom of the block, and predictably it flipped to the more stable position, right atop my thumbs.
    lesson learned : the cutter isn't the only danger around a saw.

Second accident - I was using alpha cyanoacrylate glue, the hobbyist kind with the separate tube to direct it.
    At the time it was my habit to blow through the tube to clear the AC out before putting it away.... amazingly, I did this for years before I inevitably blew it back into my eye one day.
    Having a spot on my vision for 3 months really, really, really taught me respect for the stuff. Now I always use "chem lab" type safety glasses with the stuff.

Toucan Laser Baked Color https://www.toucancolor.com/

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415