Beware McMaster Carr - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beware McMaster Carr

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for openning an old thread, but the same ol' situation has just happened to me.
    Kinda wish I knew about this before hand, as I ordered some acme rods from then, then hopped over to dumpsterCNC and ordered some backlash nuts.
    Only to recieve that stinking email from them saying that wont ship to Canada.
    Why do they still have the option to ship to Canada if thier not going to?

Either way, I had to be a joker and send this back:

hmm... Really?
    With all due respect, I find that hard to believe, when a major corporation has a hard time shipping outside their our country when millions of individuals all over the planet are doing it without issue. Sure their are a few bad apples out there, but with all my business I've given around this world, I have not once had a bad transaction.

Thanks anyways, I was able to find what I needed, at a lower price then you offer.
    They have absolutely no issues shipping me the items I requested to Canada. They even
    personally invited me back. It was a very nice experience )

Chris
    up here in good ol' Canada! eh!

I'm surprised there isn't more rants/info about this out there... <shrugs>

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a reply to a now old thread but like many others I have had the "not to Canada" response from McMaster-Carr. Notwithstanding their claims re. US export restrictions their actions may be CONTRARY TO LAW, more specifically a violation of NAFTA. Presently, a class action lawsuit is being considered against McMaster-Carr of Elmhurst Illionois. Express your interest in becoming part of the class by responding to this post.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had the same problem, but I am in Mexico, but still part of the NAFTA.
    I even told them to ship the items to my address in the US and that I would take care of the export, they replied with this:

As stated in our previous e-mail, we will not accept your order due to increased export regulations. Our concern is the final destination of the product. You may visit thomasnet for a list of other available distributors.

Apparently now I am like blacklisted and cant buy from them even if the items will be used in the US.

needless to say, I have found what I was looking for in other sites and they do ship to Mexico. mscdirect.com does ship to Mexico but some items that are not NAFTA protected they take out of the order and dont ship it.

Kind of a Xenophobe attitude if you ask me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default McMaster Carr

These guys operate a closed shop. It has nothing to do with regulations in the wider world community or the US. I placed a PO with them and had to threaten legal action to get the ordered fulfilled. They are a closed shop for export, except that this information is not listed on their site nor does anyone bother to inform a call in customer.
    We're finding another source for the future

Downloads
    Uploads

I've never had a problem ordering or receiving anything from McMaster Carr. Our (small) company setup an account about a year ago with no problems, and like DareBee says, most orders show up the next day. It's unbelievable how fast we get what we ordered. For oddball stuff, they are the best, but if I can find it local, I go that route.

Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Depends where you are and where the materials are going

Like the Canucks, I indicated that the materials were being shipped overseas (i.e. o/s the US) and that is what started the trouble. An "Export Manager" in Atlanta claimed that the complexity of US Export Laws meant that the company would not ship our order. The delivery was in Houston, TX - a part of the Union for just a few years now! The real reason is a closed shop using a few companies for export; probably illegal but I wont be going there again. In any case threats of litigation brought a successful conclusion. I'm glad for the guys that get their orders processed and delivered but basically McMaster Carr sucks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just to add another anecdotal experience to this thread:

I just tried to setup an account with them/place an order for my small company. [I'm located in Vancouver, Canada]

I was told that they do not ship to new customers in Canada; nor was there any way to become a customer that they would ship to. I don't know if this is just because I represent a small business; or if there truely is a reason, but I do know that digikey and mouser seem to have no problem shipping me parts.

--David Carne
    Carne Electronics Ltd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12