Struggling with lettering/vcarve

Thread: Struggling with lettering/vcarve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Struggling with lettering/vcarve

I'm new to CNC, and I'm struggling to get the VCarve function to work in RhinoCAM. Here's what I have and what I'm doing:

I'm using a Laguna IQ Pro with Rhino v.5 and RhinoCAM2014.

I design a part that has primarily 2d pocketing/profiling operations. Additionally, I use the TextObject command to create lettering that I put on the surface of the object.

One the lettering is on the surface, I go into Machining Objects, select 2d and vcarve from the drop-down menu.

I go through the options like on the tutorial video, and generate toolpaths. The toolpaths look correct, and everything is good. So I output to gCode on a USB stick and take it to my IQ.

At the IQ, I am able to run all of the other 2d operations using my 1/4" endmill. But when I chuck up the Vbit and tell the machine to run the vcarve program, the machine returns to home and stops. It doesn't run the program.

I've tried this with several parts, and I can get everything to work but vcarving. So I have to be doing something wrong. But I don't know what. How do I figure this out?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Struggling with lettering/vcarve

Laguna helped me solve this. Turns out that RhinoCAM was, by default, defining the v-bit as "Tool 2," and then posting G-Code that called for a tool change. I do not have an automatic tool changer, so the tool change code confused my machine. I re-defined the bit as "Tool 1" and it solved the problem.

I'm new to all of this, and there is a learning curve. However, overall, this is very good software, and I'm very happy with the Laguna IQ Pro. I do believe that the RhinoCAM user guide is not as well-written and organized as it could be in some areas. However, it is good software, and as I work through the kinks, I'm sure I'll be very happy with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Struggling with lettering/vcarve

Just edit the post?