Wrapping an image aroud flat/radiused edge?

Thread: Wrapping an image aroud flat/radiused edge?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wrapping an image aroud flat/radiused edge?

Hello All,

I'm new to Rhino but am curious if something I had in mind can be done?

I have a 3d model made in Sketchup of a rounded edge box form (i.e - 4 flat surfaces with each corner on a radius). My intention is to wrap a photshop image around the whole of the model (scaled at the actual size of the image) so that words/pictures wrap around the smooth surfaces. The problem with doing this in sketch up is that as soon as the flat surface meets the radius, it treats it as two seperate faces and gets confused when wrapping the image around the two.

So, can this be achieved in Rhino? If so, what is the preferred method?

Thanks in advance..

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it can.

Once you have your box and image, select the box and go into the Properties dialog box. First, click on the upper button (by default says "Object") and select Material, click the "Basic" radio button and then click in the "Texture" check box. You will get a browse dialog, go grab your image and hit OK.

Set your Perspective viewport in Rendered mode to see the image on your object. At this point you will probably have one image on each face. Back in Properties, with the object still selected, click on the Material button and switch to the Texture mapping section. Click on the Custom radio button, you should see all sorts of stuff come up below that.

In Projection, change from "Surface" (default) to "Cylindrical" now your image should look more like what you want (assuming your box is oriented vertically). In the rotation section, you can enter a Z value other than 0 to rotate the image so that you can place it where you want on the box. You can experiment with some of the other settings to see what they do.

The above is for Rhino V4, the entire materials/texture section has been revamped for V5, it's a lot more comprehensive, at the expense of being a bit more complex; however the same basic approach is valid.

HTH, --ch