Import image into Rhino

Thread: Import image into Rhino

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Import image into Rhino

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to import JPG file into RhinoCad 4.0. for trace. Also when I try to import (ai or pdf) files I get error that says no object found

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I cannot figure out how to start a new post

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

View->Background Bitmap->Place
    Locate your file and select. If you have to have a specific size to the image, first create a Rectangle that is the exact size of your image, then use the snap features to size your image by clicking on opposite corners of the rectangle... hth

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks that realy helped, I would have never guessed. once the skech is completed can I turn the background image off ?

Thanks Again
    Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default yes

go back to View-> Background Bitmap-> then choose Hide or Remove. Hiding it will allow you to Show it later... Remove will take it off permanently. I find it nice to Hide while tracing to see how smooth, complete or such while generating my lines. Don't forget: you can turn on edit points to make adjustments and if you go to Edit-> Control Points-> you can Insert Points and all sorts of edits to your lines to enhance their accuracy...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again I saw the option to hide when I went into the view>background selection.

Much Appreciated

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can also try the PictureFrame command. This puts your image on a rectangular Rhino surface. The advantages are that you can more easily manipulate the image (including rotation, distortion, etc. - as all Rhino geometry editing commands work on this surface); you can put it on a layer, turn it off, etc... It's a real object.

The disadvantage is that the PictureFrame image isn't stored in the Rhino file (a background bitmap is), all that it is is a link to an external image. If you move the image file or put the Rhino file on another computer, the link doesn't work and the image will be unavailable.

To your other question, if you try to import a .ai or.pdf and nothing comes in, it is likely that the file does not contain any vector information - perhaps there are just bitmap images in the file. --ch

Nono

I like to use the trace feature in Illustrator (automatic) and export to DXF.. Takes about a minute or less including the export time.. Image resolution is key and so is line size of the original image otherwise you can spend hours cleaning up the dxf