Manipulating meshes in Rhino

Thread: Manipulating meshes in Rhino

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Manipulating meshes in Rhino

I create a pointcloud with my Microscribe in Rhino. The only way I've found inside Rhino to convert it into a model is pointcloud to mesh.

But I'm having a hard time modifying the mesh in Rhino.

Do I need to buy another program? Suggestions?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Manipulating meshes in Rhino

There seems to be many programs... mesh2surf clayoo rhinoresurf.... they're big investments for hobby use... need the best bang for buck

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Instead of creating points, try creating curves. If you're trying to digitize an object, draw two sets of curves around it: one set which goes all around it horizontally, and another set that go vertically and cross the others at right angles, like the latitude and longitude lines on a globe. Make sure all snaps are off, and use the Interpcrv command, clicking on all the intersection points and whichever others are needed to capture the details. When you've got all those curves drawn with the Microscribe, use the NetworkSrf tool to create a surface from the curve network. This will be an editable Rhino NURBS surface, not a mesh, although you can always mesh it if you want.

Andrew Werby
    Website

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My issue with that is i'm doing an inside of a curved tunnel. Very difficult to draw it the way you described.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by williamsmotower View Post
    My issue with that is i'm doing an inside of a curved tunnel. Very difficult to draw it the way you described.
    You may want to look at "PointCloudSection". Depending on how clean the cloud is, it can be pretty easy and quick.

You'll see me turn on "grid snap" attempting to "work quick for video" as to try to maintain a plane pick with a single plane of points (This is important to get good curves. You can see a couple times I crossed point planes and got some wonky curves)

Anyway, good luck!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Instead of creating points, try creating curves. If you're trying to digitize an object, draw two sets of curves around it: one set which goes all around it horizontally, and another set that go vertically and cross the others at right angles, like the latitude and longitude lines on a globe. Make sure all snaps are off, and use the Interpcrv command, clicking on all the intersection points and whichever others are needed to capture the details. When you've got all those curves drawn with the Microscribe, use the NetworkSrf tool to create a surface from the curve network. This will be an editable Rhino NURBS surface, not a mesh, although you can always mesh it if you want.
    @williamsmotower - I agree with Awerby. If you can master the curve game, rest comes pretty easy. I suggest Youtube a video called 'Rhino Curves and Surfaces'. It's pretty solid.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago with a point cloud.I used the patch feature to create surfaces and then had something to refine.It worked and the part we made is now in use.