machining operations in Rhino

Thread: machining operations in Rhino

Downloads
    Uploads

Default machining operations in Rhino

Hi.

I have been watching videos mainly about guitar parts - and the same situation arises from time to time.

eg when marking the holes eg for the control pots or the tuners and indeed for the fret slots - the remark is made " mark the positions with a dot because it's a drilling operation" or for the frets a cutting operation.

OK everything's marked - but how is that info 'exported' and signified for tool pathing?

I'm in the position where the fret lines for the slots don't get exported either by themselves or with the model as a whole.

Can someone enlighten please?

Thanks,
    Rob.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: machining operations in Rhino

What CAM software are you exporting too?

The lines and points usually need to be selected in the CAM program and a tool path generating command run on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you're exporting your models as STL, which only recognizes meshes. If you want linear and point data exported, you'll need to use another format, like IGS or DXF.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    What CAM software are you exporting too?

The lines and points usually need to be selected in the CAM program and a tool path generating command run on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm exporting to Aspire - if I have a small bit eg the diameter of the fret slot i should just be able to 'tell' it to cut a straight line. Is that right?

Thanks, Rob.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It sounds like you're exporting your models as STL, which only recognizes meshes. If you want linear and point data exported, you'll need to use another format, like IGS or DXF.

Hi.
    For some reason Aspire doesn't see igs files.

Will a DXF file accommodate the curvature of the slots on the fingerboard surface?

Thanks,
    Rob.

Downloads
    Uploads

It should (although I thought fret slots were straight), but whether Aspire recognizes them is another question. Why don't you try it and let us know?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It should (although I thought fret slots were straight), but whether Aspire recognizes them is another question. Why don't you try it and let us know?
    well...I've been trying lots of stuff ) Here's where my blundering about has lead me - projecting the fret lines onto the surface of the fretboard results in curves which I sort of extruded to give little curved bottom slots. I didn't know rhino would go so low as to do a .023" 'recess'.
    There's an argument about flatbottomed fret slots as opposed to curved ones - without getting in to it i figure the curved bottom would be less work for a fine bit since the imperative is to have a set depth at the ends.

So ASpire recognised them but I was always cutting the negatives ie leaving little bits of wood sticking up rather than producing cutouts - when my wife said - 'are you sure you're cutting between the lines?' - which i wasn't - so after all the effort spent cleaning up 22 extrusions to produce beautifully modelled open slots in the fretboard surface i went back and enclosed the ends and exported them by themselves and that seems to work as a separate job.

But I feel there must be a way to simply draw a line and say cut that with a .125" bit (say) to a depth of .1" like i'd do with a router.

Man this modelling is good for the neural networking!!

I think I found a tute on drilling & grouping on the aspire web site.

Probably the neck is more 3d than the guitar body the simpler ones being outlines, and pockets cut to a depth. (Not thinking Arched tops atm) )

Thanks,
    Rob.