Insight into using Rhino with Sprutcam

Thread: Insight into using Rhino with Sprutcam

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Insight into using Rhino with Sprutcam

Hi Fellow Rhino users,
    How many folks out there using Rhino 3D with Sprutcam?
    I have a Tormach/Rhino 5/Sprutcam 8 setup and am curious what other users have discovered using the same setup.
    How well has Rhino worked for you?
    What tricks have folks picked up in using it with this setup?
    Would you say that Rhino can do just about anything that is ‘CAM-able’ with Sprutcam?
    What has been the best format to import into Sprutcam (i.e. IGES files, STL files)?
    What limitations have you found?
    If anyone has any other insights, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks so much,
    Nathan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Insight into using Rhino with Sprutcam

It doesn't seem like anyone is responding, so I will go a bit off track and comment on Rhino and another CAM system (doesn't matter which one).

We've been using Rhino to create surface files for CAM for 13 years. It will do anything that you need it to do. We do some pretty complex free-form stuff, and it's never let us down. What's nice about it is that there are enough tools provided for Python or Rhinoscript programming that anyone can make new commands to do their custom applications. We run over 230 custom scripts in Rhino!

Sorry, I can't comment on Sprutcam.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I also agree that when it comes to solids and surfaces, you'll have a hard time finding a better CAD application than Rhino. I use it along with a few other applications, but Rhino could do everything a person needs on it's own. The only thing I feel is a bit lacking in Rhino is efficient 2d drawing, but you can get what you need done in it and it's not terribly slow. However, with CAM systems progressing as they are, most are allowing the use of 3d geometry boundaries for performing 2d operations anyways. I don't know much about Sprutcam, but would not be surprised if that's the case there as well.

As for what file to import, I will venture to guess that STEP files will be one of the more compatible. IGES will probably also work well, but the problem there is that there can be quite a few flavors of IGES and not all of them will likely work ideally. You'd have to experiment with the specifics of the IGES format to figure out what works best for you. STEP files are just a bit more universal, at least it seems that way to me.

I would avoid STL files as much as possible. They aren't solid or surface models and don't scale like a solid or surface. When you export an STL, you create a new format that is an approximation of the original, and it has an absolute resolution. It's similar to exporting a scaleable graphics file (which has no specific resolution) as a JPEG image. The JPEG will have a specific resolution (dots per inch), which cannot be undone, while the scaleable vector file has no limit to it's resolution since it's a mathematical expression of a shape. The only time you would want to use an STL is if the CAM software can take nothing else, IMHO.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dan and MMOE, thank you for taking time to answer. You have instilled even more confidence in me to forge ahead with Rhino without feeling limited in what I will be able to do.
    I have had good success with importing IGES files from Rhino into Sprutcam so I will stay the course for now.
    I agree with you on Rhino 5's 2d drafting limitations. I use AutoCAD for 2d and import into Rhino which has worked really well.
    Dan, your custom scripts sound neat. What kinds of stuff are you making? Sound very cool
    Best,
    Nathan

Downloads
    Uploads

I use Rhino 4 and Sprutcam 7, Sprut is a bit challenging at times but I dont have any problem drawing what I need in Rhino, that includes some 3 d parts as well. I havent used any other software except Alibre for a short time, but I dont realize any problems with 2 d drawings. Ignorance is bliss maybe??

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

We build check fixtures for the auto industry. We are the largest dedicated gauge and fixture shop in North America. Rhino has contributed to our success.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

That is great that Rhino has been able to do it for you. I feel more confident that I can wait to get Solid works until I really need the interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    We build check fixtures for the auto industry. We are the largest dedicated gauge and fixture shop in North America. Rhino has contributed to our success.