Lines and Joining them

Thread: Lines and Joining them

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lines and Joining them

I am working to convert an AutoCad file I was given to 3D. The problem I am running into is when I go to join the lines I am having problems getting them to join.

Even after I get them to join when I go to extrude the joined line I run into problem were the extruded edge is jagged and has gaps in it. Making it impossibel to cap and make a solid.

I have run over the line I am extruding from and see no gaps or voids and it shows up as a solid line....Is their an easy fix or command I can run?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You might try this: Project those lines onto a surface. Just creat a surface on a cplane. Project the curves to surface. Hit join. If there are any gaps, sometimes hidden in Z, they will be all on one plane. Hope this helps.

I should have pointed out that you can project entities to a cplane, also. I usually join and hide them immediately, then delete or cut the original and then show.

Last edited by lsfoils; 07-27-2003 at 12:14 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any time I have weird problems I always make sure
    I have no duplicate entities.

PEACE

Downloads
    Uploads

I find the best way to join geometry is to pick join and then start selecting, 1 by 1 (in order), the geometry you want to join. This way, when it comes to overlapping entities or gaps, a warning will pop up saying "the distance between these 2 entities is x.xxxxx". This is where your problems are coming from, I think. You'll need to make sure they are all trimmed up nicely and you wont get gaps/overlaps in the surface(s). If you select all the entities you want to join and then click the join button, this warning doesn't pop up. I also suggest you rebuild the joined curve afterward (with the rebuild command) to get a smoother/simpler (as far as control points go) version of the curve and will have less problems with the surfaces built off of them later on down the road.

HTH

You can't live forever, but can you be dead forever.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I examined the model very closely in both AutoCad and Rhino. One of the big problems was all the duplicate lines. I think what compounded that was they were all Splines. So when I brought them into Rhino the broke up into tiny line segments that were impossible to distinguish from the other.

I found if I selected large segments of the tiny lines and joined them then exploded them that Rhino would seperate the segments back out into larger line segements that were esier to select and get rid of. I still plan try to get the wire frames more simplyfied.

Also has any one tried to creat a large sold block then place the model inside and create a die. Then creating another block the same size combine the die and the solid block and using difference to create a model that way? I was thining that it might simplyfly the curves of the lines etc and give a better model.

Downloads
    Uploads

"Also has any one tried to creat a large sold block then place the model inside and create a die. Then creating another block the same size combine the die and the solid block and using difference to create a model that way?"

This will work, but you must make sure that the model has no naked edges.

As for the duplicate line problems, did you try the SelDup command to find duplicate entities?

Dan