Your advice please

Thread: Your advice please

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Your advice please

Hi folks,
    This is my very first thread/post, so, be easy on me. Actually, I have been lurking for a while now.

I have been using the Demo Rhino 4.0 for a while and I love it. I am getting ready to purchase the software very soon. I would also like to purchase a CAM software. I figure, this would be a great place to ask this question, since the majority of you seem to be using Rhino. What CAM software would you recommend that would compliment 4.0? Or, what CAM do you currently use with your Rhino 3D?

Thanks for all your time!

Joe

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by arewehavingfun; 01-22-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Have you looked at RhinoCAM?

It plugs into the Rhino workspace, so you can make minor adjustments to your models and program elements on the fly. It's pretty intuitive, and packs a lot of functionality into the basic package. There's also a Pro package if you need more advanced machining strategies and other features like 4th and 5th axis support.

Unlike with other high-end CAM programs, there's no annual "maintenance" fee, and tech support is free. I use it myself, I like it, and I also sell it, at a discount, and I can bundle it with Rhino 4 for further savings. See the Toolpaths page of my site for more information about it.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Quote Originally Posted by arewehavingfun View Post
    Hi folks,
    This is my very first thread/post, so, be easy on me. Actually, I have been lurking for a while now.

I have been using the Demo Rhino 4.0 for a while and I love it. I am getting ready to purchase the software very soon. I would also like to purchase a CAM software. I figure, this would be a great place to ask this question, since the majority of you seem to be using Rhino. What CAM software would you recommend that would compliment 4.0? Or, what CAM do you currently use with your Rhino 3D?

Thanks for all your time!

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It plugs into the Rhino workspace, so you can make minor adjustments to your models and program elements on the fly. It's pretty intuitive, and packs a lot of functionality into the basic package. There's also a Pro package if you need more advanced machining strategies and other features like 4th and 5th axis support.

Unlike with other high-end CAM programs, there's no annual "maintenance" fee, and tech support is free. I use it myself, I like it, and I also sell it, at a discount, and I can bundle it with Rhino 4 for further savings. See the Toolpaths page of my site for more information about it.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software
    I guess I should of mentioned that I am not interested in using Rhino CAM. But, thank you anyway.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, if you are interested in running inside Rhino, the only alternative to RhinoCAM is MadCAM: madCAM CAM plug-in for Rhino3D

It is also an excellent product and costs less than RhinoCAM.

If you are looking for stand-alone, I guess the question is : how much do you want to pay? There are hundreds of CAM software packages out there in every price range. What are you going to do with your CAM? What kind of machine do you have?
    --ch

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chmillman View Post
    Well, if you are interested in running inside Rhino, the only alternative to RhinoCAM is MadCAM: madCAM CAM plug-in for Rhino3D

It is also an excellent product and costs less than RhinoCAM.

If you are looking for stand-alone, I guess the question is : how much do you want to pay? There are hundreds of CAM software packages out there in every price range. What are you going to do with your CAM? What kind of machine do you have?
    --ch
    Hello,
    Thank you for your reply.

I have done a lot of work using 2D files through Coreldraw X3. I'm very comfortable using the interface within this program. I was hoping to find a similar 3D program, with similar function as the interface is concerned. I was just turned onto Alibre 3D, and I have been working with the demo. I like it, because it reminds me somewhat of the coreldraw as far as the interface is concerned.

As far as Cams, I have some limited experience with Meshcam, coupled with Mach3 as the driver. I really like the simplicity of Meshcam, but, I'm thinking some of my jobs may require more function than it can give me.

My current CNC is somewhat of a "homebuilt", with a working table size of 1'X3'. My new machine will be a working table size of 4'X8', utilizing Candcnc 4-axis.

At the end of the day I will more than likely buy both the Rhino and Alibre software. They both have unique qualities I require for design purposes.

Again, would like to hear some input of anyone using Rhino, and what cam they prefer for it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Before you buy Alibre take a look at SpaceClaim. SpaceClaim and Rhino work very well together. You can start a model in either software, use the supplied plug-in to fire it into the other software, do whatever you need to, then send it back.

As for CAM, we use WorkNC and madCAM. I used to consider WorkNC a high priced software until we bought Esprit for our mill/turn. Now I would say it's priced in the middle of the spectrum. madCAM works right inside Rhino and is a very capable software, and very inexpensive. It does everything from 2 to 5-axis. It's worth a look for sure.

Hope this helps.

Dan

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    Before you buy Alibre take a look at SpaceClaim. SpaceClaim and Rhino work very well together. You can start a model in either software, use the supplied plug-in to fire it into the other software, do whatever you need to, then send it back.

As for CAM, we use WorkNC and madCAM. I used to consider WorkNC a high priced software until we bought Esprit for our mill/turn. Now I would say it's priced in the middle of the spectrum. madCAM works right inside Rhino and is a very capable software, and very inexpensive. It does everything from 2 to 5-axis. It's worth a look for sure.

Hope this helps.

Dan
    Thank you Dan. This is very good information.

I inquired with Spaceclaim, and I'm waiting for them to get back with me.

I will also check out the mentioned software. I will get back with you, about my experience.

Joe