Metex 45 oneshot oiler

Thread: Metex 45 oneshot oiler

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Metex 45 oneshot oiler

Hi guys,
    I bought this Metex DM45 Mill about 2 years ago and thought I would add a one shot oil system to it to keep it in good nick for a bit longer than it originally would have lasted.
    I purchased a 6 outlet oil distributor and some fittings for 4mm pipe/plastic tubing and one 6mm 90deg for the distributor inlet all purchased from eBay.
    Below are some photos of what I have done and how I have run the pipework.
    I must say it took me about 1 day of just looking at it and placing the parts all over it to come up with, what I think, was the best place to put the parts that I had ordered. I didn't measure anything before I ordered them and just thought I would find a place to put them when the time comes. It actually turned out OK in the end.
    I had a Sino DRO system that I wanted to put on it too so I am still in the midst of fitting that as well as you can see in the photos. It may look a bit flimsy but all in all it just has to hold the read head and linear scales in place while it slides back and forth with minimal force and it works pretty well and isn't too "bendy".
    The oiler 2nd from the LHS is run through a hole drilled through the casting with the edges rounded off for a smoother run of the tubing and the tube is held flat with P clamps to the underside of the casting. I should take a photo of that too but I will have to disassemble the thing to do that so I may not but you can see I also ground a pathway through the rear of the casting to run the tubing out and into the leadscrew nut. If you are going to attempt this you will see how it would run anyway as there is minimal clearance under the casting and between the bed surface.
    If you want anymore info then drop me a line but the photos should be self explanatory.
    The inlet tubing is 6mm and the rest of the orange tubing is 4mm. All the oil fittings are 6mm thread as well. I also carved some oil pathways along the bearing surfaces to distribute the oil a bit better but if you do this then keep about 12mm in from the edges with them as the oil tends to leak out of the oilways closest to the edges a bit easier.
    Richard.