Need Help! Dead Y output on stepperworld fet 4 board and stepper motor failures

Thread: Dead Y output on stepperworld fet 4 board and stepper motor failures

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dead Y output on stepperworld fet 4 board and stepper motor failures

My HF30 round column conversion has been a protracted one................I suppose that's why they call them "projects".

I bought a Stepperworld FET 4 kit with Sanyo Denki motors (50 oz) a few years ago and have, recently, took the conversion a lot more seriously.

The problem I that I've got no response from the Y axis output (tested with motors that work in the X,Z,W outputs).

A further problem is that a couple of the stepper motors will hum, or not, and make no attempt to spin when connected to a proven port.

Autopsy of these motors reveals ligh corrosion but they still will not respond when the corrosion is removed with a brass brush.

The shafts will turn freely after autopsy and freeing up.

Can anyone suggest a plan of remedy ??

Alternatively can someone advise how big I can go when replacing the motors as I have had no success in sourcing replacement Sanyo Denki 103-77-18 steppers and do not feel that they will be adequate for my purposes.

My power source (supplied with kit) is a SYN Electronics SYS2030-80-2 (Input 100-240VAC 47-63 HZ, Output +5V @ 1.5V, +24V @ 3.0A).

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dead Y output on stepperworld fet 4 board and stepper motor failures

This is posted in the RF-45 Benchtop mill section but you mention a HF30 round column conversion. In any case, I assume you mean a RF30 conversion or a harbor freight equivalent. If that is the case, the FET4 board is nowhere near sufficient for a conversion of that size machine, nor are the motors. I had the FET3 board and it was pretty much a waste of money. For an RF30 size machine you are really looking at motors around 400- 600 oz-in, not 50 oz-in. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dead Y output on stepperworld fet 4 board and stepper motor failures

Aaah spontaneity is often a problem. Perhaps a moderator can shift this post to the correct place..............if the location of my post is causing issues.

Yes my mill is a Harbour Freight 30. I think it's branded Emco (?) but it has similarities to most of the round column mills.

At the moment the HF30 and the Stepperworld gear are what I've got and therefore will give it a go and see if they'll work.

I've built motor mounts (which have a Nema 23 format/bolt pattern so the motors can be upgraded later), it is geared 3 to 1 via timing gears/belts (so that may make up for the lack of horsepower in the motors - to some extent), I've got ballscrews (too be mounted) and I've got the Stepperworld gear.

As per your advice, and my suspicions, the steppers may prove to be too small hence my inquiry as to how big I can upgrade on my steppers given my controller equipment. If the biggest motors that the Stepperworld gear will support are insufficient then I'll buy more motors and control gear. But in the mean time I'll have my motor mounts and timing belts and timing gears that I can re-use.............and I'll have my "toe wet" in cnc.

Having no "electronics" background I deferred to those who have by enquiring about the larger motors. As I've got a couple of dud motors an upgrade might happen sooner rather than later if the controller will support worthwhile stepper motors. I agree with what you say about the motor size that I require however I'm endeavouring to find out if my controller will support steppers of that size.

This is an effort to reinvigorate a longstanding project without spending more money than necessary until I can see that I can operate the whole CAD/CAM/CNC "technogeewizzery".................then I'll throw more money at it where necessary. If I can make this work I'll upgrade to a dovetail column mill and bigger electronics..............but first things first.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm running my X2 with these 3pcs Nema 23 Dual Shaft Stepper Motors 382 Oz-in Rated Current At 3A using the Stepperworld FET 4 board, a 600W PC power supply and a set of power resistors mounted on a fan cooled heat sink as the motors are supposed to run at 6 volts. It's not the most efficient set up, but it's operating without a hitch so far.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I take that back. (I don't know how to edit what was previously posted). My setup is woefully under powered. It's fine for no load running with the gibs set to loose. After a bit of research I'm definitely switching to a better driver board and power supply that can handle at least 60 volts and 10-12 amps. (either some gecko drive or automation solutions or kelingink) More research in my future... So far the only one really providing any substantial info on their systems is the gecko company. It's likely I will go with them just because they are not stingy with data.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

damianpoirier,

thanks for your comments.

A local "techspert" checked the board (with a multimeter) and found that the dead port is due to a dead stepper motor on/off switch chip and I am waiting on a new one. This may well activate the port.

Sorry to hear about the inadequacy of your setup.

As I've got a couple of dud motors I'll chase upgrades on them. I'm looking to upgrade to as big a motor set as the controller and power source will support.

My Power source is a SYN Electronics SYS2030-80-2 (Input 100-240VAC 47-63HZ , Output +5v @ 1.5A +24v @ 3.0A).

The stepperworld board will support 5,6 or 8 wire unipolar stepper motors so I'm looking to buy the biggest motors that this combination will handle.

109jb,

You may be the bearer of bad news but I appreciate the information.

It may be that when this combination is working it will be inadequate but it will be working ..................... and seeing the axis' moving will get me in deeper.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I've now replaced the dead stepper motor on/off switch but the results are the same...............a dead Y axis output port.

I am now chasing the likelihood of it being a pin allocation for that port in the computer settings.