New Machine Build Looking to pull the CNC conversion trigger - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Looking to pull the CNC conversion trigger

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking to pull the CNC conversion trigger

Some good and bad of an update. I was able to get the axis all moving again and even made a part with the machine about 2 weeks ago. Thinking things were good to go, I attempted another part yesterday where the Y axis stalled at times and seemed jumpy. The gib on the Y axis didn't have a square shoulder for the adjustment screw to push against so I figured when the table hung out too far that it was popping out of place and binding. After grinding a better notched shoulder on it and replacing it, things worked better but only briefly. I was loosing Y axis steps and was seeing that during my adaptive roughing routine taking too large of a stepover after coming back around. So basically there's still electrical gremlins to sort out. I'm going to blame the connections at the rear of the controller box and try to bypass them next going straight from the drivers to the motors.

Here's the machine the other weekend making a sample part to weld just to see how it turns out.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BttsWuwDUdM/

Downloads
    Uploads

Odd you're having issues, unless you have some corrosion/solder connections that have vibrated loose. But I also understand putting it off. You've put a ton of work into it! Looks great!

Downloads
    Uploads

The solder connections and questioning of the plug connection quality where things pass out of the control box is what I'm questioning. These hybrid motors have a vga style 15 pin connector coming off the encoder so im thinking of getting extensions for them, then a panel mount connector for the box, and run another short extension to the drivers. This would allow me to get rid of the solder connections and have screw mounted plugs at each connection.

Example of panel mount:
    Elite Core Panel-Mount Connector | Seetronic SVGA15FF VGA Pass Through https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LANHQWU..._MUxDCbSRH8T8F

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

So the machine is actually working well for once so I'm rolling with it. I replaced the encoder cables with 15 pin cables that hook up directly to the motors and my problems of the y axis faulting out are gone.

I modeled up a battery tie down for the wife's Subaru and after that fit decided to make some money with the mill for a chance. (13 more made)

I'm at the next upgrade point, and that's a power drawbar of some design. Trying to innovate and keep costs down, I'm wondering if anyone designed something around a short hydraulic ram like the following. I have a port-a-power kit laying around doing nothing and this could hook up to it. With my upgraded fat motor, I can't fit a Tormach style square pneumatic cylinder above the spindle. Maybe something 3, 3.5" around however

Short ram
    https://m.harborfreight.com/10-ton-h...ram-95979.html

Downloads
    Uploads

I made a slight upgrade to the enclosure drains tonight. The perforated cover was getting full of chips, blocking drain back, and letting too many chips get through so I made some screen inserts to limit the debris issues. I first tried the spot welder to tack the screen but it blew a huge hole in it. (Fun fact, I learned through work that using a variac will make these H.F. welders a lot more versatile) I then turned to my tig welder, flipped the tungsten around to the blunt end, and while pushing the two layers of screen together with the tungsten against an aluminum backer was able to do my own make-shift resistance welding.

Pics below for reference.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567