New Machine Build Charter I.H. Clone build - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Charter I.H. Clone build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Charter I.H. Clone build

Ordered this today:
    US SHIP Wantai 1AXIS Nema34 Stepper Motor Dual Shaft 1600oz 3 5A 151mm CNC | eBay
    Looks the same as Roadster used.

I emailed Chai last week but no response yet? Tempted to buy this on ebay:
    Ballscrew 2005 1200mm Diameter 20mm Pitch 5mm L 1200mm ballnut BK BF15 | eBay

Longer than 45" and 20mm dia. I'm starting with the X.

I am so impressed with this 12Z mill and Charter Oak Co. I have modified Z with an adapter to the HF "Hole Hawg" drill clone which works great to save my arm. I built an air powered draw bar with the HF butterfly air wrench. Had to just sit and change tooling several times to
    make sure I wasn't dreaming. Wound up doing what I said I wouldn't and just milled a couple of logs into a "Lincoln Log" (12 X 12 X24) two on each level crossed, stand since I would rather spend money on the conversion.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by buddydog View Post
    Ordered this today:
    US SHIP Wantai 1AXIS Nema34 Stepper Motor Dual Shaft 1600oz 3 5A 151mm CNC | eBay
    Looks the same as Roadster used.

I emailed Chai last week but no response yet? Tempted to buy this on ebay:
    Ballscrew 2005 1200mm Diameter 20mm Pitch 5mm L 1200mm ballnut BK BF15 | eBay

Longer than 45" and 20mm dia. I'm starting with the X.

I am so impressed with this 12Z mill and Charter Oak Co. I have modified Z with an adapter to the HF "Hole Hawg" drill clone which works great to save my arm. I built an air powered draw bar with the HF butterfly air wrench. Had to just sit and change tooling several times to
    make sure I wasn't dreaming. Wound up doing what I said I wouldn't and just milled a couple of logs into a "Lincoln Log" (12 X 12 X24) two on each level crossed, stand since I would rather spend money on the conversion.
    Labor day weekend over in China, you may hear from him in the next day or so.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ahh! That probably explains it. I'll cool my jets for a bit then ;-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello again. Roadster could I ask for the information on the x axis pulleys? I did see the belt spec in the picture (600-5M-15, fits some e scooter) and found one of those belts on ebay and ordered it from China for 7$. I have my stepper hooked up through a 3D printed ABS coupler (stolen off thingiverse and scaled up to the nema34) just to test with but I want to go with the front mount as you used for the real "aluminum" thing. I couldn't find where you described the pulleys? I'm guessing they had to be bored to fit? Anyway I'll have to do that for now as I'm just powering the stock acme screw to start with. That 1600 oz nema does not take "no" for an answer! I'm running it off the arduino for now as a power feed only but am now planning Mach3 for CNC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone, I have not been here in awhile because of being so busy. I ended up selling my Charter Oak CNC build to a neighbor that needed one for his shop. So I am going to build another one out of the brand new Charter Oak I have sitting here.
    It looks like I am going to do an identical build since mine worked so well. The only change I may do is go down on the X and Y from 1600 Oz to possibly 900 to 1200 depending on inductance ratings. I just ordered the ball screws and 4 ball nuts to build the double ball nut setup again, it works great so it's OK. I couldn't seem to find anyone local to sell the screws without nuts so no manufactured double nuts again. I'm not waiting a Chinese month or so for parts. Us warehouse for motors and Automation technologies for in stock and in Country parts. The Chinese waiting game drives me bonkers, I can have a machine done by the time I get my stuff from the showboat from China. I wish someone in the USA would jump on the band wagon and start competing with them. I know it may cost more but a Mom and Pop machine shop could do it. OK, off my soap box. I won"t bore anyone with the next build since it will be identical, but if I build a 4th axis setup from scratch I may post it. It would be a knock off of those small Chinese ones we are seeing but with a bigger stepper and a 6 or 8 inch chuck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by buddydog View Post
    Hello again. Roadster could I ask for the information on the x axis pulleys? I did see the belt spec in the picture (600-5M-15, fits some e scooter) and found one of those belts on ebay and ordered it from China for 7$. I have my stepper hooked up through a 3D printed ABS coupler (stolen off thingiverse and scaled up to the nema34) just to test with but I want to go with the front mount as you used for the real "aluminum" thing. I couldn't find where you described the pulleys? I'm guessing they had to be bored to fit? Anyway I'll have to do that for now as I'm just powering the stock acme screw to start with. That 1600 oz nema does not take "no" for an answer! I'm running it off the arduino for now as a power feed only but am now planning Mach3 for CNC.

Hi Buddydog, I'm sorry that I missed your question I did not get a message from CNC Zone that you posted one. Anyway I bought my sprockets from here. Drive Components - Timing Belts, Timing Belt Pulleys, Clamps, Sprockets, Replacemnt Belts, Synchromesh, TruMotion, Ladder & Roller Chains and Shaftloc from SDP/SI
    and my belts from Mcmaster Carr because they take returns and I needed to return both first guesses for the correct ones. I did have to bore the sprockets and drill and tap for the handle mounts etc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
    Hi Buddydog, I'm sorry that I missed your question I did not get a message from CNC Zone that you posted one. Anyway I bought my sprockets from here. Drive Components - Timing Belts, Timing Belt Pulleys, Clamps, Sprockets, Replacemnt Belts, Synchromesh, TruMotion, Ladder & Roller Chains and Shaftloc from SDP/SI
    and my belts from Mcmaster Carr because they take returns and I needed to return both first guesses for the correct ones. I did have to bore the sprockets and drill and tap for the handle mounts etc.
    Thank you for the reply Roadstercycle. Can I get the tooth count on those sprockets? I assume they were both the same (drive and driven). Do you think the smaller motors will be better on the x and y? I have not done any more on mine as I bought a boat project (Marlin 300) and that has distracted me. Thanks. buddydog

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really have no idea on the tooth count and can't take it apart to check it. I was not worried about tooth count when I did it, it was about diameter not the tooth count. They are both the same though 1 to 1 and 1/4" bores to start with and then I had to bore them. The only reason I'm going smaller motors is to try motors with less inductance which Arizonavideo suggested. Just going to give it a shot. I may have to go back to 1600 we'll see.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again for the reply Roadstercycle. I bought one 30 tooth and it looked about right from what I could find counting partial teeth in one of your pictures so I'll just order a second one and adjust the spacing to fit. It was only 10 dollars shipped. I'm just going to do the x as a power feed for now (using the acme lead screw). I can sell the old powerfeed with the RF30. Be watching this thread to see how the smaller motors work. I'm sure this 1600 should power the Z just fine. I wouldn't want my fingers on the business end of it!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am still going to use a Nena 42 motor for the Z., 4120 OZ this time as it has a little better inductance number.

Downloads
    Uploads

I was curious if you remember what length of scales you ordered for the dro? I have a MD001 which is the same size. Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bfnt77 View Post
    I was curious if you remember what length of scales you ordered for the dro? I have a MD001 which is the same size. Thanks.
    Hi, I'll measure tomorrow and give you the numbers. I can't remember off hand. I did order the Sinpo Model though. I just ordered another Sinpo last night for my YCL-1236 Lathe I'm converting to CNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just for comparison My Z servo quit on my IH mill so I went to what I had laying around which was a 900 OZ stepper and a Gecko drive.

It works fine. I can stall it sometimes if I get into the range where the slide does not move easy so I would go to the 1200 OZ steppers if I started from scratch.

4000 oz is going to be slow.

youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, My second I.H. with the 4000 in oz stepper on the Z has been done for a few months now. I don't know what slow means but my Z is fast. I did put 900 in oz on the X and Y like you suggested a while ago and they work fine. Both the I.H. mills are working great and have no lost a step on either.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys,
    I would like to thank Roadstercycle, Arizonavideo, Jumps4 (Hobby-Machinist) and all the other guys who have added to the RU-45 theme. You guys have given me hours of enjoyment and excitement watching the projects unfold and evolve.

I have a RU-45 mill and have gotten the CNC bug which drove me completely crazy trying to understand all the terminology, technology and engineering, but you guys have settle me down and help me learn this new field to a manageable frustration.

I have loved seeing how many heads make difficult problems easy to solve and it is with true sense of fellowship that you have willingly share that knowledge in a genuine friendly environment.
    Thank you all and please keep it up as this is what life is all about.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456