About to buy RedSail X900 60W... looking for feedback - good and bad...

Thread: About to buy RedSail X900 60W... looking for feedback - good and bad...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default About to buy RedSail X900 60W... looking for feedback - good and bad...

Hey all,

New here on the forum, and sort-of new to CNC machines. i currently am running a SoliDoodle 3-D Printer, and I am making the jump into more CNC machines.

Just ordered a Shapeoko2 and I'm pretty fired up about that.

I have been talking with Lucy @ CNCCheap - a distro for Redsail. She's been very prompt with responses, but I am trying to get her prices down just a bit, so I can go bigger and stay within budget. I also spoke with their importer/customs guy here in the US. What a good dude.

here's my questions:

For a third the price of an Epilog, I am expecting a somewhat lesser product, but I still have good expectations. For all you that have Redsail product, what do you think? Has your Redsail met your expectations?

How much did all the importing, duties, customs, and broker fees add up to? I surely understand the value a broker can bring to the table, and considering this particular broker has imoprted dozens of redsail's lasers, I expect it should go fairly smoothly. Were there any items or documents that could have sped up the process? Anything that will slow the process down that I should try to avoid?

Are there any other companies that would compete with Redsail? I am pretty comfortable with my decision, but hey, a guy can change his mind, can't he?

Trying to get the X900 @ 60W to come it at $3900 with all the accy's Right now it's at $4150 - still a good price, but with the fees, it goes over my $5k budget for a laser cutter.

I could step down to a X700 @ 50W... but seriously... Who'd want to do that over $250...

Anyone got a nice trick to get them to shed a few bucks on the price? Mention their competitors? Mention that if I take the step down to an X700 they're losing about $1000 on my purchase, instead of $250? I don't want to be insulting, and from what I know, that is easy to do when dealing with China.

I am hoping I can get Lucy to drop about $250 on the total price (including spare tube & mirrors/lens, rotary, honeycomb, Red-Dot, chiller, and shipping).I know 250 isn't much, but it's about 200 over my proposed budget, and it seems the importing fees and such are going to be higher than I expected, by about double...

Thanks in advance and I am sure I'll be floating around this site pretty regularly...

Paul

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: About to buy RedSail X900 60W... looking for feedback - good and bad...

I'm almost in the same position as you. any updates?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: About to buy RedSail X900 60W... looking for feedback - good and bad...

Yes. I got it this past August, after a month in shipping. Well packed, it arrived it perfect shape.

Love it! Exceeded my expectations, except the included software, but I knew that was gonna be the case.

Well built, easy to use, and VERY accurate.

Highly recommended. Also, use their customs expediter. They got it thru without a second glance.

Go for it, and enjoy!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for answering, that is good to know. Im totaly new to laser, I've only 6 months of experience with CNC router, I've been using autocad/sheetcam/mach3. did you have to get new software for that machine? what was your total cost?

thanks a lot. I'm all excited to start cutting acrylic with laser.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use the supplied software, but set everything up as a .DXF file for importing to their software.

I use sketchup, OpenSCAD, and Inkscape for design work.

Including shipping, import/custom fees, taxes, and highly recommended spare tube and mirrors, I am into it about $6000. I saved abut $15 by picking it up at the port, rather than haVing it delivered to my door. If that is an option for you, do it.

As for what I do with it, my new favorite is to burn the mirror backing off mirrors, and spray paint the back of the mirror. I'm up to 6 colors so far and it's very cool.

I am about to order the rotary attachment, which I should have done when I bought it...

Have fun, and if you have any questions feel free to email me: makers at umakelabs dot com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tomorrow I will tell you the truth, i'm waiting for the response of the supplier. I'm having a big problem with a Red Sail Machine.

I have 2 weeks with a machine and still I cannot make it Work. The aftersale service is not as "fine" as they say in their sales catalogs.

So far I can say,

Regards.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Diego,

What sort fo issue are you having. I've been having great results. A few quick questions about your issues:

1)Which model do you have?
    2) you providing the machine 220V? I know it has a standard 110V-looking power cable, but it NEEDS 220V Did yours come with a 110V to 220V convertor? Mine did..
    3) are you powering the exhaust fan separately? I blew out fuses trying to plug the exhaust fan into the outlets on the machine.
    4) is there communication to the host PC?

I don't know much about their after-sales support, but I can tell you that they're in China, so if you need to talk to them, you will be staying up late or getting up early in the morning.

My machine has run well since day 1, I've haven't reached out for their support, but I did reach out to a friend who is far more familiar with Lasers than I am, while I was getting set-up - not really for a problem, but just to make sure I was doing making any errors.

If you reply here, I will try to help you with your issues, you just might be missing one simple little thing that can prevent operation. Post as much info as you can, so I can help you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Litleboy,

As you should have see my other posts in problems with Redsail Machines I will make the followring comments:

1.- Redsail Machines are Cheap, that means not only low cost components but NO aftersales support and maybe more hours to Set Up the Machine.

2.- The Packaging is very good, china has improved this, now they know we like better packaging.

3.- If you have a business and the opportunity to invest 9 to 16 grand then go for the epilog as I prefer epilog than Trotec or Rolland and dont waste your money with a redsail Machine.

Know my machine works after 2 weeks of test and error, maybe in your city there is a sales representative, maybe you will receive more help than I've received,

From now, 2 weeks with the machine I can't tell you how long will it last, but I can tell you that the belts of my machine seems a liltle weak, I will arrange to buy a couple to have them as spare parts.

So, do not beileve chinese aftersales service and be confident with your mechanic and electric Skills. This forum helped a lot with the solution to my problem.

Diego

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HIya

I have had a redsail E5 60w for 7 years the only problem I have with it is controller errors and tubes dont last lonh when you are using for cutting. If you are using as an engraver its fine for 3 or 4 years but cutting only 3mm laser ply I use a tube every 4-6 months.
    Also the controller has a weird intermittant tendency to stop the movement on x+y axis but keep firing the laser so any debris in the bottom can catch fire, I have 7 machines altogether all different makes and the best by far is THUNDERLASER, better control system, all servo not stepper check them out its worth it.
    Once you go upto 80w you can get a RECI tube which has a 10000 hour like, I have 3 reci powered machines going well into their 4th year using the same tube and Im cutting 14 hours a day on every machine.

my advice would be go for the mars90 900x600 80w--$4500, autofocus, motorised table, 10000hour tube life, lasergrav software, all in all a far superior machine.......

I even have a synrad 80w powered CTR machine which cost me $48k and the thunder laser outclasses this machine every day.

Email Ken he is the manager

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default thunderlaser

just found this price list sorry its bad quality but server restrictions limit size

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought a M700 about 2 months ago...

Service is HORRIBLE.

If I had to do it again I would NOT buy a Red Sail....

Communication was excellent until I received my machine. Then it went from OK, to bad to horrible.....

My issues are still unresolved. For more info, I have a post about my whole story !