Leetro MPC6515 Frustrations

Thread: Leetro MPC6515 Frustrations

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Leetro MPC6515 Frustrations

I recently inherited a Redsail Mini Laser M500. It was in somewhat rough condition as it has been unused for a while and after some TLC that included a good detailed cleaning, realignment of the the laser-tube and replacement of the optics, I ran a cut and etch test from the last file that had been sent to it, and it worked beautifully.

The owner who donated the machine had long since lost the 5.1 installation CD, but did have the dongle, an item which I found out was necessary for the functioning of the software. After some research, I noted that version 5.3had some improvements that would be advantageous to using the machine.

More research showed that I needed to update the firmware on the Leetro MPC6515 that came with it.

The M500's current status:

Controller Type: MPC6515
    Version of DLL: 4.2.1.5
    Version of firmware: 4.0.0.15
    Version of hardware: 3.0.0.4
    Version of USB firmware: 1.0.0.11

I requested information from Leetro on upgrading the firmware and was sent instructions along with two files for updating it. I also received a link to the 5.3 software.

Leetro sent me two files and a procedure to use for upgrading it. I created a Fat16 formatted flash drive and copied the firmware upgrade files on it and followed the procedure. I checked the version after the installation with the tool that was provided and it showed that nothing had changed.

Some additional research revealed a different method of doing the upgrade which I also followed, and which also failed to upgrade the card. After hours of trying to get this to work, I wrote to Leetro for advice.

What they told me was disappointing. According to them, the card I have is too old to upgrade to the current version. They offered to sell me a new card with shipping for US $550. This is somewhat confusing as the firmware upgrades were specifically made for the MPC6515 V2.0. What I am assuming is that this version of the board simply cannot run the new firmware.

I emailed Redsail then to get their take on the situation. According to them, I need to send the controller back to them so the upgrade can be done. My question is, has anyone else experienced this issue with an M500? This might not be such an issue if I had the send the card to a location in the US, but sending something overseas just for an upgrade seems a bit non-customer focused.

Fortunately this machine is not a production machine at the moment, but if it had been this type of issue would have cost money in the form of lost revenues.

This has brought me to a decision-making situation. Do I continue down this rather frustrating path with the Leetro MPC6515, and its planned or more likely unplanned obsolecense, and keep throwing money at it, or do I purchase a domestically engineered and driver supported controller such as the one Soulstan is working to complete or the one that Full Spectrum Laser offers as a replacement which uses a standard driver instead of the clunky and difficult to deal with Dongle/LaserCut/DLL/Firmware situation.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For me the answer to the last question is straight forward, go for a Laser that has good Service back up. I learnt the hard way-twice. Unfortunately, sometimes the financial circumstances force us for the "cheap" option. But---nothing beats excellent service. I have a GravoGraph M20 , had the option for something that is 1/3 the price--but so glad I went for that machine, Service has been outstanding and sometimes immediate, or very quick. Whereas mt "cheaper" machines have had the exact opposite when it comes to service. Amos

Downloads
    Uploads

Default MPC6515 or other option

I need to add my two cents.
    I think you should upgrade to the new 6515C controller or the new 6535 controller.

Leetro is a good company. They have the leading software and hardware development in the entire country of China.. and their products span around the world.

I have to bang on the other guys products a bit. Solustan frauded Leetro in order to build a driver for the leetro board. I tried working with their company owner.. I never got a good feeling about the guy. It isn't a better product.. and not getting better either.

If you really want locked into a device driver product.. go with the FSE controller. It is just now cioming up to par with other "real" industry products. FSE is also using the customers as the guinea pigs. You don't need a dongle.. because it doesn't work without their specialized hardware. If FSE keeps upsetting their customers, then they are going out of business. Some of their own employees have jumped ship and started another business. Hurricane Laser.

Don't take my word for it... Talk to other customers.. read the reviews about their companies .. not reviews on their company web site.

Red Sail was right.. The 6515 controller with firmware 4.0.0.15 is not able to be upgraded to the newest software. The circuit board is simply a different design and can't take the newest firmware or software commands. It CAN be upgraded to LaserCut 5.2 .. It is rather close to the LaserCut 5.3 .. much better than LaserCut 5.1. Email me if you want the upgrade..FREE! Also make sure to tell me the color of the dongle.. Should be white with blue stripe.

Ray Scott
    Owner / Engineer
    Rabbit Laser USA
    513-217-5707

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tannasgh, the 6515 is being EOL'd by Leetro. As you have found out, more recent software revisions will not work with the older hardware.

As for continuing with Leetro, you have seen that there are upgrade issues related to compatibility. We have designed our current generation of control cards to be upgrade-able and compatible with future versions of our software. Our software is also under constant development, and we incorporate many requests/suggestions from our customers into the latest releases along with bug fixes. We have many customers who participate in Beta testing our software and provide us with invaluable feedback.

One thing to be aware of is that EVERY laser will have some level of software/hardware tie-in. No one in their right mind would expect Epilog's job software to be able to talk to a Leetro controller. You have to weigh the cost and capabilities of each company's controller+software+support and decide which is the best value for you. If you are interested in American software and a US-designed controller, give us a call and we'll see if Retina Engrave is a good replacement for your current setup. Our software is capable of 3D and photo engraving and our PRO controllers can be connected to your LAN.