Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3

Thread: Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3

Hello all,

after a very very long period of being undecided and some approaches to design and build my own CNC router ( one is here ... http://www.cnczone.com/forums/t-slot...70963-cnc.html) I had to admit that I have not enough time to go through all the trial and error of a DIY build. Therefore I checked lots of companies here in the US and in Europe. The US based companies have some nice machines but unfortunately more often than not they are subject to a very strong Chinese influence.
    The European companies have also some very interesting machines (CNC-Fr and Sorotec - CNC-Mills) but I had to find out that almost none of these companies shipping to the US because of liability reasons. One guy told me that his insurance company would double or triple the premium if he would ship his machines to the US or Canada.

Finally I looked at the XZero CNC again and while the design is pretty close to what I was thinking about I pulled the trigger on one of those. I chose the Raptor 36 x 48 because I need minimum 40 cutting area lengthwise.

The ordering process was very smooth. I payed via PayPal on 10/27 and the main portion of the machine arrived yesterday. One shipment via FedEx is still enroute and expected to arrive next Tuesday. The ball screws and the rails coming from Taiwan and also expected to arrive next week.

I tried to use the wait time to setup the electronic components. Initially on my list was the Gecko drive and Triple Beast, the latter is more common in Europe but well documented. George mentioned the MX3660 from Leadshine as a good option and since I couldn't get the Triple Beast from Europe I decided to go with Leadshine, but with the MX4660 which can drive four motors.
    The wiring is extremely easy and since I don't have a Windows PC with a parallel port I followed Georges recommendation and got the UC100 USB CNC drive. While the setup could be done in almost no time I struggled a little bit with Mach3 but finally could figure it out and everything works nice while bench testing.

I already unpacked all the parts for inspection, unfortunately there is no parts list, which makes it almost impossible to check if everything is complete. I guess I will figure this out during the buildup.

Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-2015-11-14-08-32-43-jpg

And last not least I still need to buy some stuff, like cable and plugs for the engines, a housing for the electronic, E-Stop, machine feet etc.

Is there a good online shop out there where I can buy these things?

More to come
    Thanks

Chris

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3

Hi Chris

I am still researching machines at present but Xzreo is on the list so will follow yor progress with interest.

During my research the company comes up a supplier http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com can't recommend as I have no personal experience. Take look and see what you think.

Can anyone clarify the differences between Raptor & Mini Raptor.

Good luck with your project.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3

Hello all,

work holds me back to make some progress on this machine. A couple of days ago the linear motion stuff arrived. Pretty good packed.
    Two 16 mm and a 20 mm ball screw for the long axis, kinda impressive.
    So far everything came in time except the proximity switches and the backing bars, they got stuck in customs, anyhow I don't need them to build the machine, I can put them on later.

@West60
    Thanks!
    I researched machines for an awful long time and wasted a lot of time only to figure out that there is a lot of expensive crap on the market. I was willing to pay a lot of money for a good machine, but almost 6K for a machine with flimsy gantry sides, ACME lead screws and round linear guide rails is in my mind just a joke, assembled or not, doesn't matter.

Being through the design process of a machine myself with a lot of help from people in this forum but also in a couple of European boards like CNC Ecke, I gained a little knowledge about how to build such a machine. Finally Georges machine is closest to what I think is almost ideal. It is not perfect (what is ever perfect...) and I could tell some things I would have done different, but it will be OK and I already have ideas to improve stability a little bit if this is necessary. Looking at the parts they seem to be sophisticated and well made and very important, they are pretty beefy.
    The dimensional stability and quality of the workpiece surface, working on non ferrous metals like aluminum, depends, next to others, also on stability and vibration resistenz, weight helps a good bit in this aspect, so beefy parts are good.
    However, we will see how everything comes together.

I am going to fill the aluminum profiles half way with dried sand or lead shot or a mix of those, that adds weight and works as a vibration damping system.

More to come

Thanks
    Chris

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-untitled-1-4-jpg   Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-untitled-3-4-jpg   Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-untitled-4-4-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Chris
    Can't really tell from the pictures but it appears that the ends of the screws are threaded? Can u confirm?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

all ends of the ball screws are machined and threaded except for the end of the Z axis ball screw, basically you don't need a floating bearing on the Z axis, saves you some room and money.

Thanks
    Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

OK

I hope I can make some progress today. I got some "play sand" from the home depot, advantage ... the sand is dried, I also got some construction spray foam.
    As you can see on the pictures, I sealed on end of the 80X80 extrusion, as soon as this stuff is dried I will fill the extrusion half way with sand and seal the other side too. As I mentioned above the sand will give additional weight and also will dampen vibrations.
    I ordered some nice metric hex wrenches with a handle, unfortunately they did not arrive yet, hence I have been at Harbor Freight in the morning and bought this set of hex wrenches with T handle for a little more than 6 bucks. They only need to last until Monday .. There are a lot of screws to put in, probably not funny with simple hex key without a handle.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-xzero-raptor-cnc-build-2-jpg   Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-xzero-raptor-cnc-build-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I started with the Y Axis assembly after filling the 80X80 extrusion halfway with dry Sand and now waiting the construction foam, which seals the openings, to dry.
    The Y axis plate had a significant dent at one of the corners, I had to file this down to get a flat surface.
    With a Starrett straight edge I checked the milled surfaces of the Y axis plate for evenness. One was nicely even, the other on accepted the 0.08 mm blade from a thickness gauge.
    The rails fit tight into the milled notch, there is basically nothing else to do than screwing them on. I did tighten the screws from one rail, then installed the Y carriage. I pushed the Y carriage back and forth to make sure there is no friction and then tighten the screws from the other rail. No problem everything runs very smooth and easy, IMO no friction.

Downloads
    Uploads

More work on the long axis. I cut of the dried foam protrusion, then deburred the cut surface on either end to make sure it will fit flush against the base plate. Then installed the rails which was pretty straight forward. I tighten the screws from the middle to either end and used gentle taps with a rubber mallet to make sure the rail sits tight against the ledge.
    Installing the base plate on both ends is not really a challenge, however I used extra caution not to mess up a thread while screwing the M8 bolts. The clamp is tighten very gentle only, just to make sure that profile sits tight against the inner ledge. Some gentle taps with the malet on the profile to make sure it also sits tight against the lower ledge and is flush with the upper edge of the base plate.

Working on this I realized that these pieces are already very heavy and it will be difficult to move the table once the machine is completed, hence I added some wheels to the table base, they carry up to 400 pounds which should be OK.

As the base was completed I started with the ball screw assembly. The 30mm bearing doesn't go easy on the screw so I used this piece of brass not to jam it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-xzero-raptor-cnc-build-3-2-jpg   Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-xzero-raptor-cnc-build-2-2-jpg   Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-xzero-raptor-cnc-build-5-2-jpg   Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-xzero-raptor-cnc-build-6-2-jpg  

Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-xzero-raptor-cnc-build-8-2-jpg   Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-xzero-raptor-cnc-build-10-jpg   Xzero Raptor 30X48 build - Leadshine MX4660 and UC100 USB CNC drive - Mach3-xzero-raptor-cnc-build-11-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How did the remainder of your build go? Is the machine up and running?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any more comments on your build and/or use of the system? Looking at getting a Mini Raptor...