Raptor 30" x 48" purchase

Thread: Raptor 30" x 48" purchase

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Raptor 30" x 48" purchase

Well I have been waiting to post a thread on my purchase of a Raptor from George and here goes..

I started researching CNC's about 2 months ago and I found the CNC forum quickly and spent hrs reading threads on machines and I found myself drawn to the Xzero Raptor as it has all the right stuff for precision cutting. I am a guitar builder and wanted a machine to be able to handle wood ,aluminum,copper and steel. I found a few guys on the threads Dave and Andy who also make instruments and they gave some advice as they own Raptors too. I read alot of stories about the delivery problems with Xzero machine's and I was hesitant to roll the dice . I called George and he was very confident that those problems are in the past and everyone I spoke to about George and Xzero like George very much and I must say he is a man of his word as I ordered my machine mid August and received it just before labor day.

In the weeks before I got the machine I made a table for it..I purchased some heavy duty leveling casters I found on ebay for $16 each..

I received 4 boxes from George and opened them up and put the stuff on the table...

I realized I had no instructions and I had to use the Xzero forum to look at pictures and trial and error the many different screws to put the machine together. I started putting it together on Sun and and had it done by monday..George was available on the phone which I was surprised as it was Labor day weekend. He was a great help and all I was missing were a few screws that I found down at the local Do it center.

I decided to mount the machine to the table with hockey pucks which was George's idea..

I got the machine mounted and I am almost ready to test it out..I am wondering about a dust boot for the machine. After looking at Kentcnc it looks like he has perfected the idea but it seams very pricey to me so I might make my own as I have seem so many other people have. I also am looking into purchasing the Super PID product as that looks like something I will need to cut the aluminum and copper...

I went with V Carve pro software and Mach 3 with the 2010 screenset. I also went with the Geako G540 setup with 380 oz steppers. I must say I have learned so much from this forum and the people on it are great. The forum is such a great resource for information it really helps with the learning curve.

I finally uploaded a drawing of mine into V Carve pro and I was surprised at how easy it was to generate tool paths and convert it to G Code. I am looking forward to testing the machine soon...

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raptor 30" x 48" purchase-img_2329-jpg   Raptor 30" x 48" purchase-img_2354-jpg   Raptor 30" x 48" purchase-img_2353-jpg   Raptor 30" x 48" purchase-img_2356-jpg  

Raptor 30" x 48" purchase-img_2359-jpg   Raptor 30" x 48" purchase-img_2373-jpg   Raptor 30" x 48" purchase-img_2383-jpg   Raptor 30" x 48" purchase-img_2409-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a super-pid. Works really well at low rpms. Its nice to have mach3 control the router. Now comes a big learning curve of what tool to use in what material and speeds/feeds/depths.. This is where I spent the most time learning since every job is different and materials are slightly different batch to batch. Good luck!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I am excited about cutting my parts do you have any suggestions for cutting perforated aluminum Aluminum Type 3003-H14 .032 and .040 thickness? I am also cutting Copper sheet 16 gauge..any help would be great. I have seen video of guys cutting aluminum 1/4" thick using a speed of 13,000 and doing a fine job but I am using such a thin product and it is perforated and it is not the highest quaility aluminum (soft)..Thanks for you help..
    Quote Originally Posted by inventor83 View Post
    I have a super-pid. Works really well at low rpms. Its nice to have mach3 control the router. Now comes a big learning curve of what tool to use in what material and speeds/feeds/depths.. This is where I spent the most time learning since every job is different and materials are slightly different batch to batch. Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dawgwalker View Post
    Yes I am excited about cutting my parts do you have any suggestions for cutting perforated aluminum Aluminum Type 3003-H14 .032 and .040 thickness? I am also cutting Copper sheet 16 gauge..any help would be great. I have seen video of guys cutting aluminum 1/4" thick using a speed of 13,000 and doing a fine job but I am using such a thin product and it is perforated and it is not the highest quaility aluminum (soft)..Thanks for you help..
    This is cutting at 11,000rpm at 200ipm at 1/4 depth almost same machine as your Raptor ,actually with backing bars on backing plate your machine would be stronger than Demon machine in video

XZero cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post
    This is cutting at 11,000rpm at 200ipm at 1/4 depth almost same machine as your Raptor ,actually with backing bars on backing plate your machine would be stronger than Demon machine in video

I highly doubt that is 200ipm. Rapids maybe, but not cutting.