Raptor XZ 30x48: (soon to be) New owner and uber noob!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raptor XZ 30x48: (soon to be) New owner and uber noob!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Raptor XZ 30x48: (soon to be) New owner and uber noob!

Hi All,
    Long time lurker, Going to be a proud owner of a Raptor XZ. I am really new to all of this, but have been intrigued with cnc machining for years. I build motorcycles for a hobby, and I occasionally out source parts to be made. Mostly by water jet. I am getting tied of waiting of vendors and not able to make test pieces before I commit to a final part. Having such flexibility will be invaluable. I was looking to make the purchase last year but things feel through, George had given me quotes and technical advice on components. So fast forward a year later, I contact George and he is still as helpful and patient as ever. I promised George a year ago I will be buying one of his masterpieces. I am both excited and nervous. Excited for the wonderful things I can make. Nervous for what can go wrong. But from all the years I have been lurking here I can see members been helpful and respectful. Not may forums can claim both.
    I am looking forward to picking everyone's brains!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Once you start the learning curve , things will get easier and easier . I am trying to get some people into online training classes for beginners.So might have all that soon. I get asked lots even down to is it drill bits used for cutting.
    Setting up machine yourself, you learn so much faster as you know what every part does and function , and name of every part.
    I have been told many of times people are happy they put everything together themselves as there is nothing they don't know from set up .
    I get lots of calls daily , some 5 mins some a couple of hours about the machine. How to do this or that .
    Even though i have turnkeys coming out, you would not believe how much faster you learn doing it yourself

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

Online class will be awesome. That will certainly add value to the product!
    I cant wait to get this beast.
    Hurry up George!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would definitely like a class!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a few people going to do videos on first cutting on MINI Raptors first.
    Program spindle and cutting speed for end mills that come with it.
    How to set up part on first day and make part.
    Machine comes with 3 choices of spindles.
    But set up would be the same for any machine.
    RaptorX mini will come with Guitar file and cut first day and finish. Also info on fast change fixture.

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

Received the packages this past Saturday. Boy were they heavy! I opened 2 packages just to check on a few questionable issues (fedex related). Aside for one of the boxes being dragged on its corner. That box eventually wore out and the beam is now has grind down edge. I talk to George and he says it will not affect the machine. I will break it down hopefully this week and post a few picks. I will attempt to down more of step by steps for those are interested in cnc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

excited to see someone else getting theirs!! maybe mine is not far behind!! George, about your table etc.... let me know!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kevinvandeusen View Post
    excited to see someone else getting theirs!! maybe mine is not far behind!! George, about your table etc.... let me know!!
    Yes i have the stands, ill send you email on price.
    Your would have been on same shipment, but you got yours anodized. Most shipped with in 5 days. anodize 3 to 5 days extra

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

Eh? whats this about a table? By any chance there is one with the dimensions of 30x48?

Downloads
    Uploads

They are the Stand corner sets, you get steel from depot near you.Shipping steel would not be worth it

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

Any more info on the stand cornor sets?
    Price?

Downloads
    Uploads

Info on forum

Raptor XZ 30x48: (soon to be) New owner and uber noob!-stand-jpg Raptor XZ 30x48: (soon to be) New owner and uber noob!-stand1-jpg

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

Stand is rated for 4000 pounds

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

It has been a while since I received the machine from Xzero. As of now still in its boxes! But as the summer draws near so does the time to assemble the beast and do some serious milling!
    Members on the forum as well as George has been a great help in assisting me fill my knowledge gap.
    Been going over what I need:
    Electronics:
    VFD: was leaning towards a Lenze, but after talking to Adrian at American Spindle my go with a fuji VFD with a built in line reactor. Waiting on a quote from him.
    Stepper motor Drive: Going to with a gecko g540. Future expansion to 4th axis, break out board and 3x drive in one unit, wiring looks easier/better with the serial cables.
    Stepper motors: Nema 23 380 oz-in stepper motors.

Hopefully I can keep on schedule and have most of it built by summer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by naspc View Post
    It has been a while since I received the machine from Xzero. As of now still in its boxes! But as the summer draws near so does the time to assemble the beast and do some serious milling!
    Members on the forum as well as George has been a great help in assisting me fill my knowledge gap.
    Been going over what I need:
    Electronics:
    VFD: was leaning towards a Lenze, but after talking to Adrian at American Spindle my go with a fuji VFD with a built in line reactor. Waiting on a quote from him.
    Stepper motor Drive: Going to with a gecko g540. Future expansion to 4th axis, break out board and 3x drive in one unit, wiring looks easier/better with the serial cables.
    Stepper motors: Nema 23 380 oz-in stepper motors.

Hopefully I can keep on schedule and have most of it built by summer.
    The Fuji are good inverter. Tekno motor will not cover spindle with low quality inverter, some people learn the hard way .

For drive system I would go with Leadshine MX3660 hands down . Smooth running at high speed, up to 60v and 6amp to get maximum pull out of the motors and high micro stepping, Most machine I see run the best at 1/16 step , gecko only 1/10 . 50v and 3.5 amp.

Leadshine will have 4th axis driver in a couple months, it will have 5 amp

Hooking up cant get much simpler , no soldering , just run 4 motor wire to plug

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

I saw the Leadshine MX3660 and nema 23 kits for the venom in the other one of your posts. Are you offering this for the raptor as well?

Downloads
    Uploads

I saw the Leadshine MX3660 and nema 23 kits for the venom in the other one of your posts. Are you offering this for the raptor as well?
    That machine was Raptor same as yours. but they had easy servo set up on machine. ill email price on the leadshime

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

Sweet!
    I was leaning on the G540, mostly because I didnt really want to do wiring. But after looking around the web I found some good wiring documentation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sweet!
    I was leaning on the G540, mostly because I didnt really want to do wiring. But after looking around the web I found some good wiring documentation.
    Yes wiring on MX3660 is a lot easier, even I can wire that one up lol

XZero cnc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast