40 x 60 Raptor X Axis Accuracy Issue - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40 x 60 Raptor X Axis Accuracy Issue

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    yes possible we talk about different, so i dont want to go on this way..
    this is the xzero forum, so its going to be about xzero machines. made in canada.

techno is junk. heiz is marginally better junk. :P

Downloads
    Uploads

i need larger monitor :-)

i didnt noticed until now.. i see the poster is Xzero.. and i was thinking if he makes own routers why he trying to push the german stuff :-) he migth reseller :-)

yes i know Xzero i like the way as he going.. sorry i mixed up companies.. i be more careful..

Downloads
    Uploads

i need larger monitor :-)

i didnt noticed until now.. i see the poster is Xzero.. and i was thinking if he makes own routers why he trying to push the german stuff :-) he migth reseller :-)

yes i know Xzero i like the way as he going.. sorry i mixed up companies.. i be more careful..
    No i was not pushing German machines. I was saying to your post that the Isel is a far better machine than other Raptor. It is more like other way around. For the price of them i would expect a lot more . Isel techno having a steel frame the rails are attached to bottom of the aluminum table top. Yes all XZ machines are made in Canada, About 90% of the machine is products from USA

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

im sorry for the mixing..
    and yes very hard to make something because the material already very costly..

i really agree on ballscrew and squarerails... my machine has round rails and they are not so tigth..
    just keep up with your work.. and again sorry i mixed you with the other company..

Downloads
    Uploads

im sorry for the mixing..
    and yes very hard to make something because the material already very costly..

i really agree on ballscrew and squarerails... my machine has round rails and they are not so tigth..
    just keep up with your work.. and again sorry i mixed you with the other company..
    No problem, I wasn't posting to what you said about my machines. I was posting to what is not seen in a machine and people just look at machine from a far and why so much money.
    As for my machines, say the Viper machines,
    I could use china rails , they lot cheaper than Thomson precision Rails.
    I could like most, not machine Z axis or Y axis rails ends and tapped to exact size . Just through hole with set screw could save a ton of money
    Machined rails keeps frame straight and square. No need to adjust or anything.
    Rails also become part of frame and Z axis for maximum strength. Without people seeing the cost of that
    I could use china bearing blocks instead of my own, be a lot cheaper.
    I could stop pocketing blocks into uprights and use china bearing housing and not worry about being out of line. Could save a lot of money
    I could use Acme screw or china ballscrews to save a lot of money , but I don’t
    I could like most kits just saw cut all profiles and not machine the ends,
    I could with a lot of parts just use low grade stuff and get almost same amount of money.

On Raptors, Demon or Predator.
    A lot of the same as above.
    Pocketing blocks and rails would be a lot cheap to just flat mount.
    Use thinner aluminum. Not fly cut all joining parts.
    Not machine my own ballscrew end bearing houses. Just use cheap imports.

Now getting back into the 4x4 and 4x8 , after looking at others , I thinking I am doing too much to the machine and make sort of easy cheap fixes instead of what I want to make them.
    On steel frame I want to mount rails the right way on the sides, but so many mount underneath bottom or on top and would cut cost in half to do it that way
    I could use R/P and do complete machine for half the price of one ballscrew. Actually I can get R/P complete machine for less than what I pay just to machined in Canada one ballscrews . Or even using V groove bearing ,all complete machine for less than one profile block
    Point being all machines look same in pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 40 x 60 Raptor X Axis Accuracy Issue-vaughan-20120822-00009-jpg  
    XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

to mountung underneath will keep clean your rails..
    square rails are the best.. as i wrote i have round rails and they are not so stiff.. i also would like 2 screw on the x axis.. migth be next machine..

chinese working on a very economic way.. not everyone likes that..

the v rollers in my meaning are the worst of all option.. sure dust going under - between roller and rail.. and it get loose..

what i like in chinese machine, the bellows that cover Y and Z axis.. some already started to put on the X axis too

i always looking for a practical view for machines.. i like very mouch the clean design in your work..
    the pockets that align railblocks that is the rigth way no need explain..

rails are so stiff that they reinforce even keep starigth the aluextrusions..

Downloads
    Uploads

ok . but mounting rails underneath gas almost nothing to do with keeping rails clean. Profile rails as used largely in mining and factories, the are covered complete with dust and other things. they can sit in complete dust without any problem if wipers and caps are on

XZero cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Problem solved. The linear bearings were causing the problem or at least they were the last thing that needed to be cleaned. There wasn't that much gunk to clean out, the ball bearings themselves were OK but there was a build up of dust / grease on the housing in the area that passes over the outside of the rails. My rail caps are now installed properly and hopefully that will mitigate the problem in the future.

I believe that I was also having some slippage problems with the motor side of the X axis coupler. There was very little clearance on the inside of the motor standoff/spacer and head of the cap screw that tightens the coupler had to be ground down to fit. As a result of the grinding, the walls surrounding the hex key pocket were thin and the pocket was stripping and couldn't be tightened properly. A new cap screw and shop made standoff with a larger inside diameter solved that problem.

Now I can get back to cutting!

Downloads
    Uploads

can you explain the standoff? pics?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pretty simple, I made a version of the original part with the centre opening milled out to 1.5". It still fits the end of the motor. The part is on the router which I don't want to take apart (again!) but I've included a picture of the old part showing the area that I removed. It still fits properly over the end of the motor and now there is plenty of room for the head of the cap screw on the coupler to spin without it having to be ground down

40 x 60 Raptor X Axis Accuracy Issue-standoff-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

That was old motor mount when your machine was first designed for 20mm coupling. but some bolts stick out more than other. This is new motor mounts

XZero cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exactly what mine looks like now!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlander View Post
    Exactly what mine looks like now!
    Yes there will be no problem using it that way

XZero cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlander View Post
    Does anyone know where to get the proper end for a grease gun to mate with the grease zerks on the the bearings? They appear to be 5mm. I have been using a needle type fitting because I haven't been able to find a proper end locally but I think that I am not getting enough grease into the bearing.
    Did you find out what size end you need for the grease gun to fit those rail bearings? I cant find anything local.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No, I didn't find an end for the grease gun that would fit the small nipples on the X and Y linear bearings. I wound up using one of those hollow needle ends and the needle was small enough that it fit through the hole in the nipple. Not perfect but better than nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12