Uploads
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Edit: Just wondering if I can spend the resources more wisely. Can I buy just one tool which help with wood and metal face milling? If it means more expensive tool, so be it. Will appreciate any input you have.

Much better Gerry. Onsrud you shared before is $350+ :-(

I will do the research but if somebody know why in inventorcam operations/gcode all/generate is grayed out? i do have evaluation copy but i dont think eval have this restriction. must be something to do with my setup. EDIT: inventorcam gcode generation issue is resolved by uninstall/re install; in this process i end up upgrading to inventor2013 as well :-)

George,
    Thanks for sharing the info. I will be careful with the face mill size.

Last edited by azam1959; 08-07-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default slow and steady progress

switched to cad/cam package which i hope will take me to modeling path. i used 1/8 mill for three small holes in cam but 1/8 did not have long enough cutting edge and shank was 1/4 inch and i thought it will interfere with the cutting so i just switched the mill at machining time. guess only hobbyist can afford to do this :-)

i do not use dust shoe yet and keep watching the cuts and use learned efficiency and quality opportunities during next cam cycle. still in the embryonic stage of machining and challenge is keeping me occupied.

also ordered the facemill Gerry pointed out few posts back. there are two type of cutting inserts available depending on type of wood. i will worry about metal facemill after my mill is delivered (i have no insight but i think Novakon is in the process of changing their processes and are introducing QA phase in Canada; lets hope i will see the benefit of this change in better quality mill/lathe).

i am benefiting from experts input about my issues, but i was also hoping that other xzero users will also share their experiences and projects on this thread.

as usual long post ... bye for now

XZero users group-slowandsteadyprogress08102012-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Azam, are these are to be clear circles, then it is either backlash or flex causing this,, how are you making the files,,

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XZero users group-azam-jpg  
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cabnet636 View Post
    Azam, are these are to be clear circles, then it is either backlash or flex causing this,, how are you making the files,,
    I can see that you having a r/p machine that you would think it was backlash , but they are Ballscrews with zero backlash. Any chance to say something about machines you are there.There is no flex in machine. You should know what your talking about before posting info . It is a problem with Mach3 setting for the Motor kit he has .

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

not flex. flex would lead to chatter, not drastic position error. i see no evidence of chatter. the machine is going where its told.

likewise, backlash would lead to a consistent deviation every level of the cut at every direction change. this seems not to be the case as well. seems slightly random and cumulative.

something could be loose. either the work piece, or table or spindle mount.

im still thinking it looks like servo follow error though because its over running corners.

no longer looks like a mach3 specific error to me. if it was flattened circles or an obvious loss of position, it could be mach, but i dont see that.

Downloads
    Uploads

with some settings in mach3 , you can get circles a lot better, i will post some before and after pictures.Here one where machine will start cutting wrong spot as it gets lost and then stall

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XZero users group-toronto-20120810-00063-jpg  
    XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is one, only small holes machine gets lost

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XZero users group-mississauga-20120809-00062-jpg  
    XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately i can not post what the problem is as some person will post back with made up stories. So with nothing good to say, its better to say nothing

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

All machines in different sizes all with same set up have the exact cutting with errors in same spot

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

a rack and pinion has no more or less backlash than the other, i have both types of machines. loose parts flex and backlash can be symtoms of this but i would need the file as it can be a simple as file production and how it is created. just tryin to help the fellow, i am unfamiliar with mach as it is not what i use.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

James,

Thanks for the message. Please do post again if you see anything wrong and I will appreciate it.

I am using inventor/inventorcam combo. I thought major issue was only in three small holes and it is because I used different bit size in cam and in machining. I did not realize any major issue with bigger circle in the center or corners. In previous cuts circles did come out fine but I have not made many cuts either and have zero experience comparing right/correct cuts with my cuts.

I also noticed minor issue with the bigger circle in the center and I thought it was because of the machining strategy I used. In inventorcam there is a pocket machining strategy hatch+finish. I was checking it out and my conclusion is hatch+finish is good for square/rectangle but may not work for pocketing circular shapes. I will continue with different options. In fact there are modules in inventorcam which make newbie life pretty easy by automation but I am going through this rigor to understand bit more. I am negotiating with sales rep and i an afford this nice cam package, i will dig more otherwise i may have to move to Dolphin.

There are other pocketing options in inventorcam and I think I will try them out for circle in the future. I did not even see any issue with the external corners (again showing my ignorance in machining area).

Nofish and George,
    If there is any backlash I think I will see it in other cuts too, right? Machine is also pretty stiff and spindle is also tight (this time :-)). I think my machining skill is culprit instead of machine itself. Once I get the surface cutter it will help me start with the level surface. I am also using four screws instead of two for small work piece. I am also experimenting with different machining strategies. If there is any specific suggestion for this newbie, I will appreciate it.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

making squares and circles large and small,, going thru pocketing, and profileing procedures is a good way to learn !! to make sure 98% of the tim it is not the machine, backlash is more often settings, and that in the photo is fairly large

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Previously, I had suggested that it could present a backlash or stepp lost (so were servos). I think very wise suggestion to check the Mach3 configuration and test, and test ..., until an optimal point of work. Or even tray linux CNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

a rack and pinion has no more or less backlash than the other, i have both types of machines. loose parts flex and backlash can be symtoms of this but i would need the file as it can be a simple as file production and how it is created. just tryin to help the fellow, i am unfamiliar with mach as it is not what i use.
    Your main goal is to promote a different machine company, again any chance for you to post something about machine you are there. Just like you post on other forums sites about machines. By telling someone it is backlash or loose part or flex is making a person have to waste his time with misinformation. THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HELPING THEM. When every machine with same set up has the same problem

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post
    Your main goal is to promote a different machine company, again any chance for you to post something about machine you are there. Just like you post on other forums sites about machines. By telling someone it is backlash or loose part or flex is making a person have to waste his time with misinformation. THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HELPING THEM. When every machine with same set up has the same problem
    in a little while i will post some of our latest work, to anyone who needs i enjoy helping anyone with a cnc get further along thier path, this is one of the largest benefits of forum use as it is how i learned,

Downloads
    Uploads

Even at a snail speed same problem over and over again at fast or slow

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

in a little while i will post some of our latest work, to anyone who needs i enjoy helping anyone with a cnc get further along thier path, this is one of the largest benefits of forum use as it is how i learned,
    Maybe you should post in your own forum, maybe then you will get people there

XZero cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe you should post in your own forum, maybe then you will get people there
    Sorry, it is about helping azam!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

George,

I do not know enough and want to learn and improve. There is absolutely no ego issue here. If you are aware of any opportunity to improve, please do post.

Regards,

Unfortunately i can not post what the problem is as some person will post back with made up stories. So with nothing good to say, its better to say nothing

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast