The G201X will be available in early January. The G201 successor works to my satisfaction. We ordered boards and cans in quantity; both have a 30-day turn time. Here are the new features:
1) The G201X is 100% backwards compatible with the G201.
2) Recirculating mode while stopped. The motor is as much as 3-times cooler.
3) DIP-switch current set. No need to remove the cover to change settings.
4) Universal STP/DIR COMMON. Take it to GND, +3.3V, +5VDC.
5) 2.5mA STP/DIR input current. Anything can drive it.
6) Standby current is 50% (30% in the G201).
7) Power-on reset. The motor always always has holding torque on power-up.
8) No funny STP/DIR timing restrictions. DIR is clocked in on the STP edge.
9) Bronze color anodized can, white lettering.
10) 300kHz max STP frequency.
11) No external 470uF capacitor is needed.
12) Same price as the G201.