PrecisionPlasma 4x8 iPlasma table w/ router. gun stock make -4th axis option?

Thread: PrecisionPlasma 4x8 iPlasma table w/ router. gun stock make -4th axis option?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PrecisionPlasma 4x8 iPlasma table w/ router. gun stock make -4th axis option?

Hello everyone,
    Goal: We are trying to take our iPlasma table from PrecisionPlasma LLC and put in the router option to mill out rough cut gun stocks from Wood or plastics. ...and frankly I'm not sure where to start on the overall setup I should take. We run the CandCNC bladerunner setup. sheetcam and the usual Mach3. Note: I also have a 6" rotary table CNC ready from my CNC milling machine. We use dolpincam mill pro w/ 4 axis option in the shop portion.

Material: say a 3ft long block of wood. 3" wide. 5 or 6" tall .

The main Question is am I over-thinking this? should I simply use the 2.5D setup and see how it goes? Forget the rotary table? Or put it in and increase the range and capability? I know it will take some tinkering and setup work. Possibly even some gantry changes.

I think I am going to have issues trying to get the stock done unless we flip the material manually and run a 2nd half program maybe even 3rd? Thus I wondered about making a bolt up for the rotary table and putting it into action here? ( Like the tube cutting setups).

any good vids or site- Pass em' along. I'm not finding much.
    thanks CG.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PrecisionPlasma 4x8 iPlasma table w/ router. gun stock make -4th axis option?

This is largely up to the CAM program The setup you have is a full 3 axis machine (4 if you have the optional 5th driver and motor )
    It runs what ever g-code you can generate. SheetCAM is not a 3D or even quasi 3D program. It won't let you do sculpted tops , V carving or 3D to a watermark. For those things you need a program like Vcarve Pro or Aspire
    Your milling program might work but you need a MACH3 POST for it. To get a Gun stock you cannot cut with just a 2.5 D unless you want to just get a really rough cut version and finish it by hand
    Ther eis nothing wrong with doing the quasi 3D and cutting to a watermark and rotating it 180 degs and cutting the other side but you cannot do that with SheetCAM and you cannot get any cut that has to be made with the tool not at 90 degrees
    A full 3 D 4 axis software would let you design the object with cuts on the sides as well .
    TOMcaudle
    Home

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PrecisionPlasma 4x8 iPlasma table w/ router. gun stock make -4th axis option?

We have the 4 axis control via Dolphin and includes a MAch3 processor. Thanks. Sounds like we are heading that way. I did forget that we consume a 4th axis on the slave x motor.... So I'll call for a new 5th on Monday to put on for the rotary !

This is a vid I found that show exactly what we'll attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    This is largely up to the CAM program The setup you have is a full 3 axis machine (4 if you have the optional 5th driver and motor )
    It runs what ever g-code you can generate. SheetCAM is not a 3D or even quasi 3D program. It won't let you do sculpted tops , V carving or 3D to a watermark. For those things you need a program like Vcarve Pro or Aspire
    Your milling program might work but you need a MACH3 POST for it. To get a Gun stock you cannot cut with just a 2.5 D unless you want to just get a really rough cut version and finish it by hand
    Ther eis nothing wrong with doing the quasi 3D and cutting to a watermark and rotating it 180 degs and cutting the other side but you cannot do that with SheetCAM and you cannot get any cut that has to be made with the tool not at 90 degrees
    A full 3 D 4 axis software would let you design the object with cuts on the sides as well .
    TOMcaudle
    Home