Started cutting! so excited! Small problem, torch lights WAY above material

Thread: Started cutting! so excited! Small problem, torch lights WAY above material

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Started cutting! so excited! Small problem, torch lights WAY above material

I have made some test cuts, and am starting to dial in the settings. Sheetcam is still a little over my head, and I seem to be just getting lucky with it. Made a complex set of cuts today, spelled out a name with 2" high letters, on 3/16" plate. The dross is pretty bad, beveled a few degrees, but decent. Cut lines are relatively smooth, and all are about equal quality. Somewhat uniform.

Using Mach3 to cut, and sheectam to produce the Gcode.

The plasma is firing initially about 1.5" above the material, then slowly lowering to the material, piercing and cutting at the correct rate.

That doesn't seem normal for the torch height to raise and lower so much. Where does this problem occur? I don't know whether it is a Gcode problem not setup correctly in sheetcam, or a mach 3 setting that is incorrect.

A little guidance would be very much appreciated!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by FOCOZJ; 05-23-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Started cutting! so excited! Small problem, torch lights WAY above material

Well, as I am getting more adept with sheetcam, the problems are just changing. Lately, all seems well, but the tip drags for the first inch after a pierce, then the THC adjusts and lifts to the correct height, and finishes the cut flawlessly.

I am wondering if this problem is again, a sheetcam post issue, or a Mach3 setting that is wrong.

PLEASE, just a quick nudge in the right direction.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Started cutting! so excited! Small problem, torch lights WAY above material

Don't know what you torch is but typically you'll set the pierce height about .130-.150 then your cut height(again, depends on your torch), typically .060. This is done in sheetcam under your tool parameters.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you cannot touch off and start a cut at the right height the DTHC won't save you at first. The other parameter to use is the DTHC Delay. If you are using the POSTS that have the DCC options where the tooltable has settings for the DTHC (like Preset volts and DTHC DELAY) then you increase the time there. IF you are still "manual" then you set it on the screen int he Cut Profile. That controls the length of time from when the torch fires unitlthe DTHC actually takes over control. It needs to be enough time that allof the pierce cycle is complete and you are cutting horz at the right height.. The DTHC manual covers this along with setting up your Z touch off on the PPLLC table. You can get direct help from us at CandCNC or after hours and weekends via our very active support forum (link to the forum is on the home page of the website) Bottom line is if you cannot setup and cut a flat piece of material with the DTHC off it probably won't work to well with it on!
    TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, having the wrong post processor didn't help. After selecting something with "DTHC300" or whatever, it works a LOT better.

Have another couple of small problems I would LOVE some help with. The first leads to the second.

I had a sheet on the table, doing many small holes, and all is cutting well, then randomly after a cut, the Z axis starts lifting and wont stop. I press stop in Mach, and the Z stops physically, but the DRO keeps climbing, nothing I can do stops this unless I turn of power to the AIO box.I repeated the EXACT same g code, and it didn't have the problem again in the same place. It successfully cut it all. Then later, on another sheet, it lifted the Z again for no discernible reason.

Now that this has been stopped, I REF Z, and it acts normal, I then cannot continue the Gcode. I am looking for a "run from here" type of button, but dont see anything like that on this screen in Mach3

Started cutting! so excited! Small problem, torch lights WAY above material-unnamed-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

After selecting something with "DTHC300" or whatever,
    Ah, a man not fettered with details

That is because "run from here" ripples back through all of the code and can cause problems with plasma cutting Note the line you stopped on and scroll to that or an earlier line and hit "set next line" that forces it to run from that point when you hit RUN.

The DTHC does not lift for no reason. Either the voltage dropped , the DTHC UP down calibration is wrong or the voltage from the divider got lost but you would get a "Voltage out of range" error if it lost arc and went to zero volts. The key is the Torch Volts and the UP DOWN indicators on the screen .

CNCZONE is not my forum for support. I only happen by on occasion. The CandCNC Support Forum has about 800 active members (most have our equipment but membership is not limited to just our customers) and is monitored a lot more

TOMcaudle
    www.candcnc.com