Why do you visit CNCZone.com? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Why do you visit CNCZone.com?

Voters
643. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wish to learn about how to make my own CNC machine.

397 61.74%
  • I already have access to a machine and wish to learn how to use it better.

232 36.08%
  • I have a general interest in CNC, but won't be ever using or building one.

12 1.87%
  • I come here as a social outlet with other like minded people.

116 18.04%
  • I come here for mechanical interests other than CNC

77 11.98%
  • Other reasons ( Please state below)

51 7.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do you visit CNCZone.com?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

I want to start my own workshop and the depth and variety of knowledge and information on the site is great. Everyone here is willing to help us total noobs through their know-how and hopefully I'll be able to give something back aswell.

Id like to thank everyone who advised me so far, Al the Man, Geof, sidi steve, martinw, and so so many others. Cant list everyone here!

Ok Ok, corney I know, but cheers anyway!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by diarmaid
    ......Id like to thank everyone who advised me so far, Al the Man, Geof, sidi steve, martinw, and so so many others. Cant list everyone here! Ok Ok, corney I know, but cheers anyway!
    diarmaid I am offended (joke) you put me second.

I had not posted in this thread yet and none of the poll choices fit very well; why am I here? These are listed alphabetically not according to the importance I attach.

Amusement; taking the mickey out of the pompous prigs who think they know everything, especially the ones who think a couple of college degrees confer exalted status. On the other hand sometimes being a pompous prig to see the result.

Corney reason; to possibly help someone who is trying to learn. Nothing wrong with corney.

Relaxation and education; it is more fun than watching TV and I have picked up some good points.

Last edited by Geof; 05-22-2006 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally Posted by automizer
    I come here because this has to be the best forum online no bikering no fighting and everyone is welcome with open arms I love it.
    I've noticed this as well. Maybe its because us machinist/machinery guys are realistic and reasonable. To bad we don't run the governemnt. Of course, then we would be the arogant pricks just after another dollar. (did i actually type that? oops)

At least your mentioned Geof! sniffle sniffle.. of course that just means I am hording my knowledge right?

I do know stuff!

really!

ok maybe just usless stuff! but its still stuff!

thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    At least your mentioned Geof! sniffle sniffle.. of course that just means I am hording my knowledge right?
    I do know stuff!
    really!
    ok maybe just usless stuff! but its still stuff!
    lol...I dont know about you hoarding your knowledge but according to the other thread it sounds like your certainly hoarding a lot of something.....ref: "Are You a Packrat" !!

Downloads
    Uploads

its human nature man!

thanks
    Michael T.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I come here (very recent visitor) because I am entering a 2 year CNC Technology program next fall. I want to be a little familiar with the vocab and as I already have ideas to start on my own - learn the good and bad on various machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

No man thats not the reason!

Your name says it all!

welcome aboard!

thanks
    Michael T.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    No man thats not the reason!

Your name says it all!

welcome aboard!
    Be nice to him, he lives in San Antonio and might invite you down there someday. Ever been to the River Walk in San Antonio or knocked back a big glass of stout in the parliament bar at the Menger?

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been to Disney a few times, does that count?

Are there other places to visit in the USA? !!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am in San Antonio but I will be moving back to Michigan soon. Loonie is a name I have used on other boards -- I must say tho I can watch those videos on the Haas web site for hours. (not pluging or knocking haas - just that I can dig the work).

I hope to open my own business with machined parts -- part of the reason I am taking the schooling.

Downloads
    Uploads

I started looking to make a the control panel, soon it will be running the CNC mill and learning how to use it.
    Frank

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm pretty isolated from other Machinist. If I talk about machines to my friends their eyes quickly glaze over and they walk away mumbling something having to go have a root canel or something like that. So this is a good place to learn and communicate with like minded people.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How did I come to be here?
    The short version: I was trying to figure out how to use my tiny mill better, and build a larger router.

The long version:
    It all started a long time ago.
    I had an interest in building things, and took engineering in college. I didn't end up working in that field. I wound up working in well let's say, a special kind of social work. I always built little stuff, and one day I had a hard drive ripped apart, and an old magnet from it wound up on my fridge. I had a coil of wire near it and wound up connecting an led to it and wouldn't you know, it lit up when I moved it fast past the magnet. I wound up building a very poor alternator from scratch and put some fins on it.
    I ran across some folks building similar, but better, devices at www.otherpower.com, and got hooked into building stuff.
    There was this fellow, Jaques Mathei, a Canadian, who with the help of this other fellow from Texas mounted a router on his CNC plasma table, and set about carving some wind turbine blades. I was fascinated by the process. I wound up getting a small Taig Mill with steppers to play with, as I could fit it in the budget, I used MS Excell to generate the surface coordinates, and exported it to a report in MS Access to generate the G-code scripts. After a few tries, I got good results on small blades.
    Here are my first ones from my post at OtherPower: http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/2/22/111119/599
    During the process of trying to build bigger and better blades, and a bigger machine to carve them, I ran across this site.
    Here are some more recent ones from earlier this year:
    http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/1/9/181658/3402
    Automation fascinates me. I hope to learn a lot more about it than I currently know. I have been trying to build a larger cnc router from available materials to carve several blades at once. I am new to this, but am amazed by the things I have seen made by folks here from browsing the site. It is a wonderful resource. Rich

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I chose the "other" option.

I currently earn a living as a hard flooring Contractor in AZ. I have done this for a dozen years or so and while i do better than just getting by, I really hate the business. It is one of those things where I want to do something different and i really have found CNC machining peaks my attention. I would like to open a job shop locally, but as anyone who owns a business understands you must completely research any new start up before you start dumping cash, otherwise you will fail.
    So I come here as a sort of research tool, trying to learn every thing and anything so I can make an "educated" decision as to if this is the right thing for me. so far I just love it and can't wait to get started, but i need to learn more first.
    Everyone here seems to be great and I have learned so much so far, I think that even if I do not pursue the business end (though i very likely will) I have just found a new hobby.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, I have worked on cnc lathes over 28 yrs. & run manual mills etc. . . I purchased Aarons v-3 photo mill and have been doing the set-up alignment & mach, WHAT a differance this is ! There will be lots to learn here for sure, But my hopes are to start a small busyness in order to break away from my day job and It may sound wierd but i'm hoping it'll be my retirement pkg. I come here in order to soften the learning curve some by absorbing whats available. I have many questions brewing too !

Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I been readn & watchn slide for a short time, finding it very enlightening. i just got D&M4 mill and D&M5 lathe today. Im in need of drivers and manuals. drivercards i think i canfind but manuals Icould use some help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Rum&Coke

Hey someone said something about Rum & Coke, where is it?

I come here to learn and share Info. Plus there is a lot of humor in this forum. Someone should be marketing the funny stuff in here.
    Cheers to All, I found the Rum, but there is no Coke. Oh well straight is better than nothing at all

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you to everyone who makes this site possible.

It is a real joy to read the posts, share information, and have a few laughs too.

The collected wisdom of the members of CNCzone simply amazes me.

I really struggled trying to find a username that is worthy of this fine site.

I chose Eurisko, a computer program that actually learned from experience.

Eurisko, from the Greek ( I discover )

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool names and such

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    I chose Eurisko, a computer program that actually learned from experience.
    Eurisko, from the Greek ( I discover )

Well that is a whole lot more orginial than "40fordcoupe" which I chose because A. I could not think of anything appropiate and B. I still like the old fat fender Fords. Anybody know where I can find a 41 Ford convertable for maybe $200??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Actually,

It was a toss-up between 'Eurisko' and '91FordF150' .

Computers and Fords.

How could we live without 'em ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast