Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Plywood cutting, Climb or conventional

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Plywood cutting, Climb or conventional

Me personally i use climb as i think its better to remove not enough material and compensate than too much, But i cant help but notice that the waste material has a better finish than the actual part.

Downloads
    Uploads

When you don't ask why, then the question is irrelevant.

You chose climb because of a machine deficiency.
    I chose conventional for better cut quality.

A lot of people do a climb rough cut, followed by a conventional finish cut. The deflection on the climb cut leaves a little extra material that's removed by the finish cut. If you don't have too much flex, you end up with accurately sized parts.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A local bus company bought a very large mill to manufacture bus floor boards in Albany,GA.
    I went there to train the guys and we used single flute tools do do almost all operations.
    We climb cut all operations, very fast and with no problems at all, around the part, cutouts, everything.
    We only used 1 drilling size for all hole sizes, we first drilled, then used subprograms for milling different circle sizes.
    I have trained shops in CNC metal cutting for many years and I loved the wood cutting, the faster, the better.
    Examples are on youtube, put in my name: Heinz Putz to see it.
    Good luck: Heinz.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    When you don't ask why, then the question is irrelevant.

You chose climb because of a machine deficiency.
    I chose conventional for better cut quality.

A lot of people do a climb rough cut, followed by a conventional finish cut. The deflection on the climb cut leaves a little extra material that's removed by the finish cut. If you don't have too much flex, you end up with accurately sized parts.
    This is what I'm thinking. My machine is very rigid, it more how I'm still using method from the older machine and it's how I've always done things. Think I'm going to give conventional a go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jon, when you say: "This is what I'm thinking. My machine is very rigid", this is easy to test. Using a sharp new 3/8 compression bit, cut 12" squares both climb and conventional outside profiles, full depth. Increase speeds (and rpm) from your norm until the cut pieces are no longer the same size, i.e., the climb cut pieces will be noticeably larger than the conventional. That amount in hundreds will let you know how rigid your machine is.

Gary Campbell GCnC Control
    Servo Control & ATC Retrofits

Downloads
    Uploads

When i install machines into cabinet makers & shop fitters... I always do conventional for mdf, plywood, chipboard...

Quick setup for plywood is 9000mm/min feed, 1250mm/min plunge, if its over 6mm but under 17mm i use a 2 pass strategy... leaving around 1mm in depth and .5mm for the final pass on the width. This is what we call onion skining. Awesome cutter is 9.5mm (3/8) Onsrud 60-123mc 2 flute compression cutter (good for getting out the dust) or you can us a 60-126mc (3 flute better for speed)

Cheers Ryan

Downloads
    Uploads

With you all the way there mate. Those onsrud compression cutter are pretty awesome. Just an "as well as" though I find that a first cut with a 2mm upcut to pierce the surface gives a nice clean edge even on the cheapest conti board.