The Tormach PCNC 1100 mill would best be suited for:

View Poll Results: The Tormach PCNC 1100 mill would best be suited for:

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Home Hobby Shop use.

37 32.17%
  • Small Runs in a Large Shop.

3 2.61%
  • Small Light Duty Manufacturing Business.

35 30.43%
  • Serious Modeling & Prototypes Creation

19 16.52%
  • Just Something to Dream About!

14 12.17%
  • What's A PCNC 1100 mill?

7 6.09%

Thread: The Tormach PCNC 1100 mill would best be suited for:

Question The Tormach PCNC 1100 mill would best be suited for:

The Tormach PCNC 1100 mill would best be suited for:

Home Hobby Shop use.
    Small Runs in a Large Shop.
    Small Light Duty Manufacturing Business.
    Serious Modeling & Prototypes Creation
    Just Something to Dream About!
    What's A PCNC 1100 mill?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by widgitmaster; 08-19-2006 at 09:51 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Useful

I have found my PCNC very useful in my small one man shop for doing one or two off special parts, light faceing jobs, multiple hole, and pattern drilling jobs. This mill is not light duty, the only thing light duty might be the tool holding set up (R8), you would not want to put a 4" shell mill in this and expect good results. I would say this machine does exactly what it was designed to do. (Afordable, small production runs, prototype work, etc.) I have had mine running 8 hours a day for the last week not one problem.

Exotic Welder

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i looks like its best at what tormach designed and campagned it for isn't it ??

i guess thats why you wont find m all over ebuy

Downloads
    Uploads

I've taken a good look at this little guy. I like the PC based machining and the over all design of the machine is outstanding . I gone so far as calling. If you look at one all dressed up it less than $13k that not bad for new with a full 4th axis
    I voted in the poll as something to dream about.But you could had voted for "all of the above"

Downloads
    Uploads

The Tormach 1100 seems to be a good machine as far as the advertisment. As a note of personal opinion I would have to see a first hand demonstration of it's advertised capability because seeing is believing. I voted for Home Hobby Shop use mainly do to never seeing one in action. The pricing is excellent and the option to add a 4th axis makes this little mill look very inviting. However, because of it's small work envelope and light construction compared to the average production VMC it doesn't seem to have the capability to be anything other than a Home Hobby Shop Buddy in the Garage.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    ................. doesn't seem to have the capability to be anything other than a Home Hobby Shop Buddy in the Garage.
    I'd like one in my garage

Downloads
    Uploads

it will cut a 1/2 end mill 1/2 deep at 18imp not bad for a little guy

Downloads
    Uploads

I think it is a fantastic choice as a hobby machine. It is a decent, though not spectacular machine for prototyping. It might work for very limited production, but my suspicion is that a used "pro" CNC in the same price range would run circles around the Tormach for production of any volume. Just the "Buy It Now" CNC mills on eBay as I write this include no end of CNC knee mills that are clean and late 90's in that price range. If you want to go mid-80's vintage you can pick up a VMC.

Surprised nobody has tried to improve it much. There are a number of obvious tried and true changes that seem like they would add value:

- Powered Drawbar. Since you don't have a toolchanger, this one would help a lot.

- Servo conversion. This seems obvious. Replace the stepper Geckos with servo Geckos and the stepper motors with servo motors. Performance ought to improve quite a lot if the ballscrew whipping issue doesn't limit the ultimate speed too much.

- Tool Touch Setter. Of course the Tormach gang is probably used to buying their tooling system, but for the price of the starter kit you could hook up a full on touch setter to mach with money left over for a powered drawbar and never worry about it again no matter what holders you buy.

Best,

BW

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im a big fan of the Tormach Mill. Im just about to purchase on myself, and have 2 friends that have them in there shops and love them. I've used the mill quite abit and its got an amazing bang for the buck . And its working envelope is almost the same as a hass mini mill.

Im surprised aswell that I havent seen anyone thats added an automatic collet closer. I plan to put one on my tormach right away. I did talk to Greg at Tormach awhile back though and he suggested that an air ratchet to loosen and tighten the drawbolt up will speed tool changes up. I thougth that was a great idea also.

Hopefully tormach will come out with a nice nc lathe in the next few years.

I do disagree with Bob warfield's post though. Im an ebay hound and you cant get a late 90's nc knee mill for the same price as a Tormach. Most of them go for 10g or more. Sure there bigger machines and theres more cast iron there but come on!! If they dont then there a 2 axis setup which in my opinion is a waste of time. Any machine that Ive seen on ebay for the 6 to 10 grand price point has been an early 90's or 80's machine with an outdated control thats bound to die and need to be replaced for 5 or 6 grand.

Just my thoughts.
    Take care
    Dennis in Vancouver

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ganderboy View Post
    Im a big fan of the Tormach Mill. Im just about to purchase on myself, and have 2 friends that have them in there shops and love them. I've used the mill quite abit and its got an amazing bang for the buck . And its working envelope is almost the same as a hass mini mill.

Im surprised aswell that I havent seen anyone thats added an automatic collet closer. I plan to put one on my tormach right away. I did talk to Greg at Tormach awhile back though and he suggested that an air ratchet to loosen and tighten the drawbolt up will speed tool changes up. I thougth that was a great idea also.

Hopefully tormach will come out with a nice nc lathe in the next few years.

I do disagree with Bob warfield's post though. Im an ebay hound and you cant get a late 90's nc knee mill for the same price as a Tormach. Most of them go for 10g or more. Sure there bigger machines and theres more cast iron there but come on!! If they dont then there a 2 axis setup which in my opinion is a waste of time. Any machine that Ive seen on ebay for the 6 to 10 grand price point has been an early 90's or 80's machine with an outdated control thats bound to die and need to be replaced for 5 or 6 grand.

Just my thoughts.
    Take care
    Dennis in Vancouver

Dennis, you want one with the control already dead because that lowers the price considerably. To refit with Geckos or Uhus and a PC running Mach 3 will not cost anything like $5K, and then you know just what you've got. Plenty of other fellas on these boards have done exactly that. Seek out their threads and take a look.

In terms of what has sold on eBay just in the last 30 days (you can't see completed auction going back very far) so you know what they actually sold for, consider these:

190238524995: 1984 Alliant CNC Knee Mill, newly retrofited, low hours. Kurt vise, misting system, and other tooling. $7600.

140250710449: 1993 Bridgeport VMC 100. $7100. Tooling for $250 more. That's a working VMC with toolchanger.

250268450223: Bridgeport Series I with Anilam control. $7090.

370069818090: Kondia CNC Knee mill. $4250.

140251675459: Lagun 2-axis. $3001.

160263611404: 1981 Matsura VMC. I've heard lots of recommendations for these over on PM. Toolchanger and the whole nine yards sold for $2750.

360071982494: Shizuoka CNC knee mill, $2950.

This list goes on, those are just the most expensive machines. CNC knee mills aren't worth that much to industry because they aren't nearly as productive as a VMC. No toolchanger for one.

Craigslist has more of the same, similar prices.

Tormach makes a good home hobby machine, but you can do better for production, and the deals are out there on eBay if you look carefully.

Cheers,

BW

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

If you have time to go to auctions you might save even more money.

We have purchased several nice CNC machines for less than $3,000

Right now there are a pair (2) Bridgeport CNC machines for sale for $4,500

Thats $2,250.00 each!

Doing a retrofit on each of them has never cost us over $1,500 and thats alot.

Jeff...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default STAY AWAY FROM THIS MACHINE

We have owned the PCNC 1100 for 11 months. We gave it a solid shot, working on it continuously for 4 months, then we mostly gave up.

For the hobbyist operating from his garage, maybe this thing could work. But any company doing prototyping or short runs (even like 100 parts), the lack of automatic tool changing just makes this machine much too labor intensive.

Also, the open design is a disaster. I had to build an enclosure all around it because it splashed all over.

The screws holding the motor cabinet keep getting lose, the accessories break down (jogger, probes), the paint is mostly gone after a few months, and today I think the thing just died on us (spindle motor)

My opinion of the PCNC 1100: if you are a small or mid-size business: stay away from it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy You know there is a old saying...

Gabe,

Why not fix the Tormach and sell it to a hobby machinist on eBay.

Then start saving some extra money maybe an additional $20K-30K for a Haas with a tool changer.

You know there is a old saying, never take a pea shooter to a gun fight.

Jeff...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Gabe,

Why not fix the Tormach and sell it to a hobby machinist on eBay.

Then start saving some extra money maybe an additional $20K-30K for a Haas with a tool changer.

You know there is a old saying, never take a pea shooter to a gun fight.

Jeff...
    yes, you are absolutely right! my next door neighbor has a Haas, and he is delighted with it. I should have bought this in the first place, but failed doing enough homework. I noticed my neighbors Haas maybe three month adfter I got the Tormach.. the worse part is that I went all out on this rig, and bought all the options. Ended up spending about $20k on it. I could have put $10k more and gotten the Haas. To add insult to injury, Haas happens to be no more than 100 miles away from us, whereas Tormach is accross the contry, so I'm sh*t out of luck fixing the darn thing......

Live and learn :-(

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Where are you located, they should be able to ship you the few parts you need to get it back up in top shape.

Overall the Tormach is a pretty stout machine, for sure its worth repairing

A little TLC and some loctite would not cost very much, you might be better off keeping it for secondary repetitive jobs that don't require lots of tool changes.

Jeff...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Where are you located, they should be able to ship you the few parts you need to get it back up in top shape.

Overall the Tormach is a pretty stout machine, for sure its worth repairing

A little TLC and some loctite would not cost very much, you might be better off keeping it for secondary repetitive jobs that don't require lots of tool changes.

Jeff...
    Loctite? I used galore but to no avail..

and how about that Junky knob to lock the spindle motor cabinet? I had to make a handle in replacement. Now the thing locks up properly; before it used to open in the middle of a job, and guess what happens? the spindle stops, but the table keeps moving.. what happens to the tools -and the part, then ? I leave it to your imagination.

TLC? this piece of equipment feels like my ex-wife to me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I own a tornach now for the past 4 years... and honestly, if your using it for the business, stay away, it will cause you more grief than joy. I spend most of my time repairing the mistakes the damn thing makes. I get precision from it when I don't need it and no precision when I do. This machine is good for making brackets and light stuff. When will I learn that chinese equipement is not for the person who wants to make something precise. You get what you pay for... I just find that I paid alot for what I got.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    I'd like one in my garage
    Plus 1
    I just set one in my garage stoked ..fit good for me

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The Tormach PCNC 1100 mill would best be suited for:

norman are you going for novakon or are you getting bigger ,..?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk