CNC foam cutter kit with Linear rails

View Poll Results: Are people interested in a DIY CNC foam cutter.

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm interested in plans.

79 36.92%
  • I would perfer a kit.

25 11.68%
  • I want it ready to run.

8 3.74%
  • I want it Open Source.

26 12.15%
  • I'm more interested in a benchtop CNC Router.

42 19.63%
  • Not interested.

34 15.89%

Thread: CNC foam cutter kit with Linear rails

Downloads
    Uploads

Fifty views but no one voted.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey bgriggs,
    Yes, would be interested in a CNC foam cutter. We use a rigid cellular foam PVC, I think it is called Komacell or Komatex or something like that. We get it from Industrial Plastics in Anaheim, and then we cut pieces with a table mounted router. A DIY CNC would save us a bunch of time. What are you offering? Plans, designs, kit? Thanks, Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingLarry View Post
    Hey bgriggs,
    Yes, would be interested in a CNC foam cutter. We use a rigid cellular foam PVC, I think it is called Komacell or Komatex or something like that. We get it from Industrial Plastics in Anaheim, and then we cut pieces with a table mounted router. A DIY CNC would save us a bunch of time. What are you offering? Plans, designs, kit? Thanks, Larry
    Hi Larry,

I did some checking and found out Komacell can't be cut with a hot wire or a laser. The best way to work with it is a CNC Router or hand tools. Generally, PVC shouldn't be burned.

Now to answer your question about the foam cutter. I have built and been using a CNC foam cutter for about 5 years. I originally intended to market it but was uncertain if folks would be interested in a hotwire foam cutter that is nicer than a drawer slide MDF machine but won't break the bank. I will release it based on the answers I get from this survey. There is no sense making something no one wants.

I also have designed a benchtop CNC router. I am just trying to decide on which project to focus on first.

Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Any Pictures?
    I have been considering making a foam cutter for a long time but just 'never got around to it'
    I have be thinking and torsion box type design based on joes 2006 setup but if some-one had a affordable diy type i might be interested, although I have to finish my current cnc router build then my underwater rov project.... then... you know what I mean lol

Rob

oh, I voted for plans as am over the pond in the UK

I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by robe_uk View Post
    Any Pictures?
    I have been considering making a foam cutter for a long time but just 'never got around to it'
    I have be thinking and torsion box type design based on joes 2006 setup but if some-one had a affordable diy type i might be interested, although I have to finish my current cnc router build then my underwater rov project.... then... you know what I mean lol

Rob

oh, I voted for plans as am over the pond in the UK
    Rob,

I haven't posted any pictures yet of the foam cutter. I want to make sure the prices for the parts haven't changed significantly in the years since I made the original. I also want to make sure that the new stepper and hotwire controller are squared away. There is no sense having plans available if no one can reproduce the machine. I figure another two weeks before I have all the information.

Shoot me a PM with your email and I will send you a link to the thread and blog posts I am working on. I want to have the first few posts written so I am not dragging things out for folks who want to build.

Do you think I should have parts available for folks or let them fend for themselves?

Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bill

Makes sense ensuring parts are still available as you say, I think when it come to providing plans or kits it hard to say yes provide parts or no not to.
    There will always be people who would prefer parts to be provided and then its up to you to make them and sent out etc, with this it put you under pressure to provide a quality part, also you'll have those with two left hands that couldn't join a nut and bolt together who'll try and blame you for their lacking.

I think the best way is to have plans for those that like to diy and provide a basic parts pack that contains any parts which might be troublesome to make by hand for those that have the know how to source that outstanding parts themselves.

Either way if you decide to go full kit or part kit make up a batch, (no idea how many a feasible batch size would be), then sell that batch, this way you'll not have people pre-ordering then having to wait on parts. God knows how many time we've read threads about people how ordered something only to have to wait for a long time due to vendor disappearing for one reason or another.

Am sure you know all this anyway so sorry for waffling on.

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bill

Makes sense ensuring parts are still available as you say, I think when it come to providing plans or kits it hard to say yes provide parts or no not to.
    There will always be people who would prefer parts to be provided and then its up to you to make them and sent out etc, with this it put you under pressure to provide a quality part, also you'll have those with two left hands that couldn't join a nut and bolt together who'll try and blame you for their lacking.

I think the best way is to have plans for those that like to diy and provide a basic parts pack that contains any parts which might be troublesome to make by hand for those that have the know how to source that outstanding parts themselves.

Either way if you decide to go full kit or part kit make up a batch, (no idea how many a feasible batch size would be), then sell that batch, this way you'll not have people pre-ordering then having to wait on parts. God knows how many time we've read threads about people how ordered something only to have to wait for a long time due to vendor disappearing for one reason or another.

Am sure you know all this anyway so sorry for waffling on.

Rob
    Rob,

Thanks for the informative response. I am trying to figure out a way to share this information on foam cutter with as many people as I can. I have been trying to determine what format folks wanted. I did this poll on cnczone to help me figure out what folks think. Based on the result I get from the pole I will provide what the most people said they were interested in.

Bill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would like to know more about it.

Do you mean a foam cutter that can cut the pink foam you can buy from Home Depot/ Lowes / Menards?

I want to cut some angles on some and a handy cnc cutter would be nice.

But at what cost?

Downloads
    Uploads

Powerglider,

I mean a foam cutter that will cut Pink (Foamular), Blue (Dow), White (EPS)and gray (Dow) foam. It is a 4 axis CNC hotwire cutter taht you can control using your PC.

I hadn't thought about people asking for information yet...... Probably the easiest way would be for you to send me a PM with you email. I will make a folder inm my email program so I can contact everyone when I release the plans.

What is you opinion on parts? I was thinking about getting some of the harder to make parts made up but wasn't certain if I should get involved with that. Opinions are appreciated.

This is a picture of a sample part that was cut on a previous machine. I will take some pictures from the current machine.

Bill

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC foam cutter kit with Linear rails-ld19-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd be interested in the plans for one...now that I think about it I can think of about 300,000 projects that I could use one for. :-)

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Metalbender View Post
    I'd be interested in the plans for one...now that I think about it I can think of about 300,000 projects that I could use one for. :-)

Greg
    300,00 projects!!! WOW! That will keep you busy for a while ;-) I'll add you to the email list if you like. PM me the info.

Bill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bgriggs View Post
    Hi Larry,

I did some checking and found out Komacell can't be cut with a hot wire or a laser. The best way to work with it is a CNC Router or hand tools. Generally, PVC shouldn't be burned.

Now to answer your question about the foam cutter. I have built and been using a CNC foam cutter for about 5 years. I originally intended to market it but was uncertain if folks would be interested in a hotwire foam cutter that is nicer than a drawer slide MDF machine but won't break the bank. I will release it based on the answers I get from this survey. There is no sense making something no one wants.

I also have designed a benchtop CNC router. I am just trying to decide on which project to focus on first.

Bill
    Thanks for checking it out. We used to use a foamier foam, but have changed to this foamed PVC and it works better for us. I really appreciate the time to check and then to let me know.
    Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd take a kit or plans.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I saw these guys at the Toledo Weak Signals Show. They have a 4 axis hotwire / 3 axis router kit. Everything included - $2250.00. I though it was a pretty good deal for being able to do both jobs. Precision Routers CNC Machines

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like most folk would rather see pons than a kit.
    If anyone would like to receive more information send me. Private message with an email address.

One last question: Then machine can cut pretty much any length you have the power for. Is a 24" chord enough? Maximum chord is actually closer to 36", but larger costs more.

Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

what about posting a picture here so people know what they are voting on?

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

what about posting a picture here so people know what they are voting on?

Rob
    Hi Rob,

I have been busy working on a special table to mount the machine. It will allow you to quickly adjustable span of your cut. Pictures soon.

Further good news is the rails used are available in both the US and the UK.

Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bill
    How is things with you? I was just dropping in to see how you were getting on with your plans? Don't worry am not putting pressure on or anything as I for one know how life gets in the way of our projects, my hobbycnc foam cutting board has been sitting for maybe about 5years and I still haven't build a cutter, although I have the major part of my new cnc router build complete and just have to get some finishing done, home/limit switches etc so I 'should' be able to turn some time to the foam cutter now
    I do have an outline for a cutting in my head but am interested to see your design.

Cheers Rob