Market Research: Bolt On X2 Mini Mill Column Support

View Poll Results: Is there interest in a bolt on, pre-made, X2 Mini Mill column support?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • No thanks. I'm not really interested.

48 60.00%
  • I'm interested. Please tell me more.

27 33.75%
  • I'd buy one for my mill today if it was available.

5 6.25%

Thread: Market Research: Bolt On X2 Mini Mill Column Support

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Market Research: Bolt On X2 Mini Mill Column Support

I'm trying to determine if there is enough interest in a bolt on X2 mini mill column support to push forward with the idea. The support would be solid steel plate, take less than 30 minutes to install, and come with detailed directions and all necessary hardware. Please use the poll and let me know what you all think.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think for many it would hinge on cost. Maybe you could either give a ballpark or ask which price range would people be interested in buying one (e.g. $50 to $100, $100 to $150, etc)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mrcodewiz View Post
    I think for many it would hinge on cost. Maybe you could either give a ballpark or ask which price range would people be interested in buying one (e.g. $50 to $100, $100 to $150, etc)

Cost of material, production time, and development would dictate the price be between $50-$75 including shipping. The center punch, drill bit, and tap necessary for installation would be sold as well in a reasonably priced kit that would ship in the same package/box as the column support. I know that some on this forum would already have the necessary tools for installation and thus not need the install kit. I welcome any thoughts on the above....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd really like to hear anyones thoughts and ideas about this. Not enough demand? Good idea? I'm open to any and all thoughts.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You may have better luck eliciting feedback in the Benchtop forum but the idea seems sound as long as it is designed well. Perhaps you could provide some before and after measurements that show the reduction in deflection with your design.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll try to do that sometime soon. It's still in the prototype stage right now. I'll have one made and on my mill in the following weeks. Very busy right now with work. It tends to take away from my play time in the garage

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would be interested in purchase today. I am interested to know when purchasing a modification kit if it will work with other modifications. I plan to modify the torque arm system, Add DRO syatem and possibly modify to CNC. I am also looking for a solution that will allow using either a starrett or edge technology tramming tool 5" -6" span to tram out the y axis. I am open to recommendations as I am finding precision ground bar and plate of adequate dimensions to be more expensive than the measuring tools.