Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining - Page 9

View Poll Results: Who works in manufacturing, machinist or programer, both

Voters
1442. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do it all, program, setup and run a CNC machine daily.

964 66.85%
  • I setup & run a machine, but I dont do much/any programming.

98 6.80%
  • All I do is program CNC machines.

151 10.47%
  • Im into CNC as hobby right now. It is not how I earn a living.

261 18.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining

Downloads
    Uploads

If you can run manual machines as good as you can program a cnc then you can call yourself the best. then you know what all the real machinist think of you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We are looking for a Mastercam programmer who has set up and operated either Hurco, MoriSeiki or Mazak Mills. Do you qualify. Job is in Kansas City.
    Dwight Stoneburner
    sacareers@aol.com
    913-248-0066

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by WATERJET71 View Post
    If you can run manual machines as good as you can program a cnc then you can call yourself the best. then you know what all the real machinist think of you.
    YES!!!!

My challenge to myself has always been to program the CNC to run like I'd like to have the physical ability to operate a manual machine...mill or lathe. Just spitting out code with the CAM isn't really programming, it's just pushing buttons.

I've never been a great machinist, or a great programmer, but I do love trying!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    YES!!!!

My challenge to myself has always been to program the CNC to run like I'd like to have the physical ability to operate a manual machine...mill or lathe. Just spitting out code with the CAM isn't really programming, it's just pushing buttons.

I've never been a great machinist, or a great programmer, but I do love trying!
    "just spitting out GCODE with CAM" really is programming..
    its not just pushing buttons...alot of people believe that us CNC guys are button pushers.. which is far from the truth..
    one.. you have to know the software and make it generate the path you want it to..
    two..there is so much you can do with CAM that you will NEVER be able to program manually..
    three...the data(part) you are trying to program has to be drawn out or modeling in
    either that CAM package or another CAD system
    dont get me wrong..sometimes i do still program manually at the machine..
    but i can draw and program is faster in Surfcam than i can at the machine..
    not to mention..there is room for the human error with typing a number in wrong..etc..
    my first programming ever done ..was manually..but not much need for it anymore...just know what the machine is doing..when you read the code
    and all is well and faster..
    I use surfcam for programming and some drawing..but most of my modeling is done with Solidworks and Autocad..
    I ran manual machines..before i got into CNC and still do run them from time to time..as i have one at home..in my own shop..but id never turn back on becoming a CNC programmer/machinist, etc.
    not wanting to start a programming war...lol...
    IMO CAM is no where close to "just pushing buttons"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

started in 1995 on a Bullard, ran for 2yrs then started training in shop on mori seiki cnc's fanuc robodrills started own setups after training for about a week.Now in charge of training cnc operators, keeping 17 cnc lathes/mills running and doing spot qc checks throughout shift. Also do on the floor program modifications, and am familiar with programming on both lathes and mills.The shop I'm in is running 6-sl-300,4-sl-400 mori lathes,3-fanuc robos,1-haas vf3 mil,2-johnford-sv-32 mill, and 1-johnford bt-40 lathe and that is just what I'm responsible for. I also make tables, fixtures, and parts for other machines that our plant rebuilds.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm working since I was 14. I went from just a simple worker to tech. manager in a polyurethane injection company, worked some years as mechanical design engineer, swiched to project management for a mold and tool making company, studied a bit of automation and other stuff..
    Finaly a got fed up with working for others and 8 months ago I started my own company, a WEDM shop. I operate the machine, make the programs, Cad design if needed and manage the bussines. The plan is to start a PHD in september (EDM of course).
    I'm just 32 so .. I still got time..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys - although not new to this forum just never found the time to write about myself.

got my first taste of cnc & computers back in 1980 while at tech and after 2yr military service I started my toolmaking apprenticeship in the plastic injection & blow molding industry.

back then we had to do everything by hand including carving the patterns for the blow molds. One model I'm particularly pride of is the shell helix 500ml oil bottle which I personally machined up the pattern, later I cast the pattern and used that on our "high tech" twin head copy mill with digital 3d stylus.

begining of the 90's I got offered a job on a new Hermle 1001 cnc and a Sun Vision SparcStation computer running Cadds 4x software and never looked back!

over the years I've worked on various cnc mills, lathes eg. Deckel Maho's / Mazak / mega mills / Perfect Jet / Haas / Kia. my personal favourite and latest the Deckel Maho HSC 75 Linear 5 axis.

Software has also come along way and I have used a few packages like Cadds 4x / personal designer / cimatron / EzCam / edgecam / rhino, but my favourite is PowerMill, been using it since 1998.

I mostly program these days which I prefer - it's like sculpturing in steel / aluminium.

maching parts / molds these days is piss easy with the technolgy we have and I look forward to the day when rapid prototyping can "print" out a complete mold - in steel!

anyway back to work!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Myself... started on Cnc's in 82,,, Everything from Tool and Die, mold Making, Job Shops Stuff. now I contract to the shipyard in Va. Mostly Torpedo stuff and flight decks.. I use Mastercam ........... and as far as reading post from people who say they are the best,,, I personally don't believe there is a best,, and if there is ,, when was the Contest,,, l lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Generating the Programs with DXF files and then checking the codes correct or not, and plotting to the machine for manufacturing work, normally i am in mfg of softmaterials like wood.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i too works on cnc machines

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by anilam View Post
    ... I look forward to the day when rapid prototyping can "print" out a complete mold - in steel!

I encourage you to check out a local company in the Cincinnati area that is doing exactly that:
    Morris Technologies : Aerospace - DMLS,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW-2xaIDtMk]DMLS in action by Morris Technologies - YouTube

We do some one-off and development work with them... their process for Direct laser metal sintering is amazing to watch.
    It is reminiscent of the original stereolithography process, only instead of a plastic part made in a bath of goop, it is a functional part made from powdered metal.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Press components manufacturers

Press Tool Manufacturers design and fabricate press components that find extensive use in automobile and other related sectors. Press component manufacturers are adapting computer aided design technologies to provide highly sophisticated and precision bound Press Tools.

Press Tool Manufacturers also referred as Tools and Dies Manufacturers engage qualified people who have extensive manufacturing experience and also software knowledge to use CAD and CAM services to produce high quality Press Tools.

[url=http://www.udtindia.com/press-component.php] Press components manufacturers
    [/url] Press Tool Manufacturers also referred as Tools and Dies Manufacturers

wklaserliu

Default laser cutting mahcine manufactuer

I ,Quiven,also work in laser cutting manufactuer factory
    Laser engraving machine|Laser cutting machine|CNC router-G.Weike Laser
    chloe@wklaser.com

I do everything from write programs to sweeping the floor.

www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do everything from service tech to housekeeping I run the machine shop by myself most of the time

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining

First known CNC machines 5years ago, at that time I just know little about it, but now I don't know why have great interest in it again, maybe mostly cnc has some relations with my work now.

ISweek(http://www.isweek.com/)- Industry sourcing & Wholesale industrial products

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All day I am doing analysys and programming on mainframes/unix boxes/windows networks and everything else the CNC is a hobby bit of a busmans holiday for me but building, upgrading, repairing and converting the machines does make a change from building, upgrading, repairing and converting computer systems not a lot but enough! started with a few 3d printer repairs for friends and family then a built a few 3d printers a couple of Laser cutter engravers, 3d printed CNC (Mostly Printed CNC), then converted a mill to build the Router gonna have to sell up and move soon these machines are getting bigger each time.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The software I have used for programming is Merrymech SMP, Alpha Cam, & Microvellum.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I setup & run a machine, but I dont do much/any programming.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been a machinist for 22 years, now moved into programming with smart cam for two years

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast