Newbie Looking to buy a plasma cutting system, need advice

Thread: Looking to buy a plasma cutting system, need advice

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking to buy a plasma cutting system, need advice

My name is (Gabriella) Gabi. I am interested in metal art but have never made anything. I want to purchase a plasma cutting system. After doing some research on my own, I am looking specifically at the Plasma Cam and Hypertherm Powermax 45. I have never worked with any tool in my life other than a hammer and screwdriver. When watching the demo video for the PlasmaCam, it looks super easy, yet when I go into forums and read posts about "height issues" and other problems, I'm like - wow. What does all that mean? It looks like I would have to do and check a million things leading up to the machine doing the actual cut. ? I was envisioning - unpack it, hook it up to my computer, slap the metal down, turn the machine on and GO. But the more I read about it, that doesn't seem to be the case. Also, does anyone have any input on these particular machines? Thanks !

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking to buy a plasma cutting system, need advice

Have you done any CAD drawing? That's one learning curve. Coding is another curve, running the machine is another. You also have to allow for dirty air, exhaust fan and or water table.
    Hypertherm is the best plasma inmho.
    It's never as easy as unpack and go, no matter what the salesman says.
    That being said, it's not that hard, just a lot of new info, mere mortals do it all the time. Once you learn it you will never look back, very rewarding.
    And this site has a lot of helpful people to get advice from.
    I would start by getting familiar with CAD first.
    Good luck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, thanks so much for the info. Wow, no. I've never heard of CAD. Is CAD like the software that comes with the PlasmaCam? Do I have to purchase it in addition to the software ? Please forgive me if I sound clueless - but I am. I literally looked at some metal art in a magazine and said "Hmmm. Love these things. But expensive. Wonder if I can make it?" And that's how I got here. I have zero related knowledge or experience. My first action was researching the machines and deciding which ones to buy - and my second was here.

Downloads
    Uploads

For an enjoyable and learning experience watch Keith Fenner's PlasmaCam videos.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...acam&FORM=VDRE
    Larry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

While researching, there is no doubt that there are a ton of different machines out there to look at. Some are very admirable for the way that they are engineered, however one thing that they most have in common is that for a normal person, the learning curve can be a problem. I am not saying that you have a genius to run some of these machines. But you definitely have to be motivated to deal with things that are that are not very intuitive to most.

Personally, I needed a machine that would be not only easy to use, but also would get my ideas on to metal as quickly as possible (rather…going from Design to finished product without having to spend a huge amount of time screwing around a gang of different software programs). Time for me is extremely important and I imagine it is for most people.

Finding a system that had a proven history of success with other was also important to me.

As much as I could, I really found it to be very helpful to find people that were very successful with their systems (no matter which brand ) Getting advice from those who are successful people is far better than getting advice from those that where unsuccessful.

And in all honesty, If anyone out there can’t figure out how to run a plasmacam system, there would be no way you’d be able to effectivly use any of the other competing options that exist either. There just isn’t much out there (that I have found anyways) that is as user friendly as a plasmacam.

To this day, I have not found any plasma cutting system that is as intuitive and as user friendly as the plasmacam system is especially in combination with their designedge software.

The plasmacam is something that can be dropped off on your doorstepand ready be to use within hours (that is unless you have trouble using a ratchet wretch!)

On any given day, I could have a ton of different projects that seem like they are all going on at once. So the fact of the mater is, like most people, I just don’t have a whole lot of spare time to deal with things that are more complicated than they need to be.

The plasmacam was exactly what I was looking for. No other machine had anything close to what they offered for the price (totally my opinion). Indeed, I was most impressed with the ability to be able to go from design to finished product without having to spend a huge amount of time screwing around 4 or 5 different softwareprograms. No other machine out there had what plasmacam had in terms of a software program that was as flawless as their designedge software.

A few of the other things that Plasmacam offered that were definitely favorable were:

1. Plasmacam’s warranty was 3 years (1 year seemed to be pretty common among the machines out there)

2. Uses Servo motors (I really hope that I don’t start a big pissing match over my love of servo motors over steppers. I apologize if I offend anyone, …lets just say that they give me the extra torque that I need, and corner acceleration …definitely way nicer on intricate parts, not to mention higher rates of cut speeds without missing a step!

3. Support is free (it has become pretty standard for most companies to offer free support and some machines probably require more intensive levels of support that others), And in all honesty, depending on how motivated folks are, after you get the machine going, there really hasn’t been a whole lot of reason’s to call

But the big kicker overall was their software, which consists of one software program that is very straight forward, and simple enough that anyone can use irregardless of their experience with CAD.

Most other machines have software that have you stare at thousands of lines of g-code……and most would prefer to avoid it they had a choice. This was by far the biggest factor that I considered prior to making a purchase.

After figuring out how important software was to any CNC operation, I decided that MACH3 and I were not going to be compatible partners. There are a lot of systems that interface Mach 3 with a Torch Height Control. I have never seen this set up work very well on any machine that I was able to actually put my hands on. On top of this I still have also never met anyone who is huge fan of Mach 3.

My pals system used Mach3, sheetcam, combined with a software program called gimp and then also used another one called inkscape. That is 5 different software programs! I only use one program with my machine that allows me to do everything from design work, covert any image to cut out, even trace directly over them on the screen, and cut all with one very simple to use software program (plasmacam’s designedge). One program that I have to deal with to the five that he had to import and export out of in order to cut anything out. For example, I was able to put his name on a sign and have it cut as if I were printing a MS Word document on a piece of paper all while he was sitting inform of me.

This is pretty good way of explaining what I'm talking about:

I can't guarantee that what works for me is going to be ideal for you, however I will tell you that my decision to go with one outfit over another was pretty simple based on facts. I find it pretty important to actually find out for yourself. I know that if I would have listened to the opinion of one my friend and took his opinion as the gospel, I’d wouldn’t have even come close to being as happy as I am not with what I have. If you ask ten people their opinions, you’ll get 10 different answers most of the time. I can’t stress this enough: Do the legwork & if you stick to the facts, you’re less likely to get something that you’ll regret later. If you haven't talked to more than one person about their machine, do it. One of these machines is not chump change for most (it wasn't for me anyways).

I wish you luck,

JAG

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Larry !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jag,
    I sincerely thank you and everyone else for taking the time to help me with your knowledge and advice. All have been extremely helpful. After reading here and other places, I feel confident that I have chosen what would work best for me with my zero experience. As I keep researching and asking questions, I am leaning more toward the PlasmaCam and Hypertherm Powermax 45. I've read mostly good things about both. Thanks again! Great site !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jag, could I bother you for one more question ? What size and model is your PlasmaCAM? It looks like there are at least two - ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gabi,
    Our shop has a 5' X 10' Sampson510, also made by PlasmaCam. There is also a smaller version called the GoTorch, also a PlasmaCam product.
    The PlasmaCam usually is a 4' X 4' or 4' X 8' .
    Jag provided a well written description of the operation and function of the machine.
    But now the rest of the story, which will affect your health and relationship with your neighbors.
    I have been CNC plasma cutting for over 15 years, and here is a list of some things you should be aware of.
    Plasma cutting produces smoke and particles that have to be controlled with an exhaust and containment system.
    Plasma cutting is loud, the machine itself and the air compressor.
    Expensive, you will need the cutter, air compressor, air filter and drier.
    It's all worth it though, it's fun and rewarding.
    Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

Gabi:
    You have a lot to learn,( that's a good thing), and with the internet, resources and help is unlimited. Go slow, one step at a time, and don't get intimidated. From what I have seen, Plasmacam looks ok. I built a 5x10 CNC gantry table from scratch, 15 years ago, and use it almost every day to Router wood, aluminum, plastic (including 3D patterns for sandcasting aluminum), mill with a milling head ( I can cut male/female dies from 3/4" plate steel with accuracy within a few thousandths of an inch) , knife cut vinyl for signs and rubber for masks to sandblast art on glass, cut glass with a glass cutter, draw with a pen to create big drawings or proof a design, digitize items with a camera mounted to create a CAD drawing of it, and plasmacut on a water table with an outrigger arm off the end of the table. I tell you this to raise a point, a CNC table is a motion machine, it doesn't care what it moves, a torch, router, ...
    A Plasma torch has no tool load ( doesn't have to push a cutting bit through metal) so a light machine will work, and the light weight is a bit of an advantage for plasma, if your going to do more than plasma, the machine needs to be stronger. You will be told that a stronger machine will be slower due to weight ( inertia), that's true, but it is still viable and you have to do a LOT of plasma cutting for it to really matter. You seem like you may be creative, and you might not want to be restricted once you see what CNC can do.
    I think you could benefit from some hands on experience before throwing money at a salesman. I am not selling anything and not connected to anyone who is.
    The reason some use 4 programs, is they are free, I have used some of them and they work. I now use 2 more expensive programs because after I became familiar I wanted a bit more efficiency and flexibility, it gives me more options than a plasma only program.
    Check out:
    Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers |
    It looks at first like it focuses on electronics, but dig deeper, there is much more.
    I have limited knowledge of this but I think it looks like it could help many. I don't know where you live, but many cities now have "maker spaces" where you can join and go use tools and equipment. I was on vacation in Honolulu and googled it, sure enough there was a maker shop I could join and go do CNC stuff. You may find a cnc machine you can learn on for very little money and cut your own stuff on it, and then buy later once you are more familiar. You could also ask around to see if there is anyone near you with a hobby cnc machine, I know I have no problem spending an hour with interested people showing them the machine, how to draw in CAD, how to do a simple program, and cut something. You need to find a mentor.
    You are entering a new world with unlimited possibilities!