New DHC2, 45xp, have ohmic question

Thread: New DHC2, 45xp, have ohmic question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New DHC2, 45xp, have ohmic question

Hi everyone, I just purchase a new Plasmacam 4x4 and a Powermax 45xp with both torches with cpc. I also ordered an interface cable from PJ metal fab. I didnt get any type of ohmic clip with the pm45 kit. Im wondering if I need the external clip, or does it work through the internals of the machine torch and run through the interface cable from the 45xp to the plasmacam control box. Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by adown; 01-10-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New DHC2, 45xp, have ohmic question

If you have plasmacam's advanced height control then you will most certainly need a retaining cap with an ohmic sensing tab on it.Plasmcam's video manual actually shows you how to make one that you can fit it to a regular retaining cap. It is pretty easy to do. However, the legitimate off the shelf part is fairly inexpensive from a hypertherm dealer. Just make sure to get the "ohmic retaining cap" that is specific for the 45xp, since it is different for the regular 45. The hypertherm powermax 45xp part # is 220953, and the one needed for the regular powermax 45 (older non XP version) is 220719.

If you do not have the advanced height control, then there is no need for the ohmic retaining cap until you upgrade your height control to the advanced version.

Good Luck,

JAG

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi PlasmaMac, thanks for replying. I do have the advanced height control. I decided to go with all the upgrades right from the get go. I also purchase an interface cable from PJ Metal Fab. I was hoping the ohmic sensing worked through the torch and wired back to the machine. Do you (or maybe Jim) know why they wouldn't incorporate that into the machine torch on the new CPC equipped units. Thanks again, adown

Last edited by adown; 01-12-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's best not to overthink this simple little part that is just part of the torch configuration. All it is a specific type of retaining cap that has a little metal clip on it.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of cnc plasma cutting system that are in the price range of a plasmacam system do not have the superior level of level of height control that utilizes an ohmic sensing mechanism like the plasmacam does. The ohmic sensing height control is absolutely fabulous and is a completely hands off type of height control. It is extremely automated and very accurate. It has great features like collision avoidance. Again, most machines operated with a vastly inferior type of height control and typically would not require this part.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My machine arrived yesterday and after starting to put it together and seeing the parts and cables, it makes more sense. What I was seeing in my mind was completely off. I guess I really didn't understand. Thanks, adown