new plasma build 4X10

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: new plasma build 4X10

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default new plasma build 4X10

I have studied alot of nice plasma tables on the site and decided to build my own. I wanted a water table to cut down on smoke and warping. I also wanted to be able to empty the table for cleaning. I made an aluminum box that holds about 90 gallons of water and have a 110 gallon storage tank.Ther is a 3000gph pump in the storage tank. Takes about 2.5 min to fill table. Plasma cutter is hypertherm 1250. Used a g540 geckodrive and 50volt ps. rack and pinion drive with 3.75:1 reduction.
    Have any questions just ask.
    Dave

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new plasma build 4X10-picture-003-jpg   new plasma build 4X10-picture-004-jpg   new plasma build 4X10-picture-006-jpg   new plasma build 4X10-picture-008-jpg  

new plasma build 4X10-picture-010-jpg   new plasma build 4X10-picture-011-jpg   new plasma build 4X10-picture-012-jpg   new plasma build 4X10-picture-013-jpg  

new plasma build 4X10-picture-014-jpg   new plasma build 4X10-picture-015-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice, clean . . . appears to be well thought out . . . I do have a question. On your gear reduction units, I see the motor, large cog wheel & ???? . . . What is the square looking unit on the same axis as the large cog wheel?

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

A great looking project!
    Thanks for posting the pictures.

What motors were used?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCCajun View Post
    . . . What is the square looking unit on the same axis as the large cog wheel?

Steve
    I'm betting on the square housing up 2 bearings to support the large notched pulley & shaft.

Just a guess.

Looks really good. From what of it I see should be a tight table that will hold close tolerance. & be repairable down the road if necessary....

If it works.....Don't fix it!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Millman52,
    You are correct.The shaft is 1/2 and it has tapered bearings on each side of the block and then the small gear. I will take some pics of the first design. It was a pivot design, bushing on one end and spring pulling gear to the rack on the other end. I had some problems with accuracy and teeth skipping on the rack with high rapids. I had to run such a stout spring to keep from skipping I worried about premature rack failure. I also had bending of the pivot shaft that was also causing me grief. This design was alot less parts and machine work and works better. The motors are Keling kl23h284-35-4b.
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Nice!!!!!!!!

dnelso,

I must say it is a beautiful build. Everything looks first class, and looks well thought. Did you cut any parts yet? I would like to know what your tolerances are? Thanks for the post/pics.... Dustin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dustin407,
    The repeatability of the table is very good within a couple of thou. I have about .003 backlash in the x and y axis. I think unless you get hardend and ground rail thats the best you can get. I have cut lots of small parts and a few large pieces. After you get the torch height control and settings worked out you can cut parts that are very close to your drawings. Here are the pics of my first design belt drive.
    Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new plasma build 4X10-dsc01033-jpg   new plasma build 4X10-dsc01034-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Professional man on plasma CNC table

Dave,
    It's a very nice machine.I am thinking to build CNC plasma machine with water table same as you.
    I am little puzzled and have some questions.
    1) It sounds like you use 2 motors on X-axis( left and right).yes or no?
    Hybrid stepping motor? What torque is used for both X and Y axis?
    2) I don't know what raw material is filled in the water to protect rust on steel.
    Could you share this detail?
    3)Do you use THC for your plasma table?

Hope your help
    Mongkol

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dnelso View Post
    Dustin407,
    The repeatability of the table is very good within a couple of thou. I have about .003 backlash in the x and y axis. I think unless you get hardend and ground rail thats the best you can get. I have cut lots of small parts and a few large pieces. After you get the torch height control and settings worked out you can cut parts that are very close to your drawings. Here are the pics of my first design belt drive.
    Dave

It's ashamed to waste that beautiful piece of work running with an old analog THC

Contact me off-line and I will give you a VERY generous trade-in on that THC300 and Port 1 Breakout (whoever it came from) for a new Digital THC and Single Port control (MP3000-DTHC) It will give you the precision and features to match a really nice build!

The MP3000-DTHC displays and is controlled 100% from the MACH console (screens) so you can simplify and clean up your Operator Controller and UI

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com
    www.CandCNC.com/MP3000-DTHC.htm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mongkol,
    1. The x axis left to right has one motor and the y front to back has two motors .The other motor in the pic is the z axis. The motors are from keling 387 oz-in KL23H284-35-4B.
    www.kelinginc.net/SMotorstock.html
    2.The table has an .100 thick aluminum tray that holds the water so it cant rust.
    3. Yes i do run torch height control.
    Dave

Last edited by dnelso; 05-31-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: mistake

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,
    Thanks for the information. Here's the first machine of your or not.

Mongkol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mongkol.
    This is my first plasma table.I have converted a mill to cnc using mach and servos and built an engraving machine using stepper motors. I try to build machines that i need and study other machines before i build them. I enjoy building them and saving a few dollars.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice machine!

Do you have any drawings or details on how you made the water table?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Steve,
    The table was drawn in solidworks. It would take some time to convert the model to DXF drawings. I would have paid for a design that i thought looked good and included all the part numbers. It takes alot of time to design and source parts.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice build, any chance of a video?

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Your table . . .

Again, your table is very nice. I realize that you have a considerable amount of experience in building something like this.

But, I do have a few questions . . .

1. Are your drives gear or belt reduction. If gear, did you buy them? If belt, how are they setup. A picture would be really nice.

2. As to the linear rails you have on each side. Did you have to mill the square tube they are mounted to, or is that type of rail rigid enough to be able to ignore irregularities in stock square tube?

3. The most puzzling to me is how did you get the rails parallel in both planes. I could see if the rails were top mounted, but the side looks very hard to do.

If anyone can answer or add to, I sure would appreciate it . . .

Thanks,
    Steve

Last edited by CNCCajun; 06-08-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Steve,
    It is belt drive reduction. I will take some better pics of the motors and the gears.The dust sheild cover makes it hard to see. The square tubing does not need to be machined. I welded the frame first then made a stand with a digital caliper on it for checking the height of the linear rail on both sides off the ground. It is very hard to drill the holes for the rails first because when you weld the tubing there is always some warping. Once the rails were mounted i machined a 1inch spacer 3 feet long to go under the rail then clamped the rack to it then drilled and tapped the holes. Because i use no spring to pull the motors to the rack the spacing is critical. If the spacing is off you would have tight spots and loose spots along the travel. Keeping the rail clean was another reason for mounting on the side. Plasma cutting is very dirty.
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Thank you . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dnelso View Post
    Steve,
    It is belt drive reduction. I will take some better pics of the motors and the gears.The dust sheild cover makes it hard to see. The square tubing does not need to be machined. I welded the frame first then made a stand with a digital caliper on it for checking the height of the linear rail on both sides off the ground. It is very hard to drill the holes for the rails first because when you weld the tubing there is always some warping. Once the rails were mounted i machined a 1inch spacer 3 feet long to go under the rail then clamped the rack to it then drilled and tapped the holes. Because i use no spring to pull the motors to the rack the spacing is critical. If the spacing is off you would have tight spots and loose spots along the travel. Keeping the rail clean was another reason for mounting on the side. Plasma cutting is very dirty.
    Dave
    The only part that was confusing was, "I welded the frame first then made a stand with a digital caliper on it for checking the height of the linear rail on both sides off the ground. " . . . Did you use the floor as a reference to level the rails . . . .???

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dnels View Post
    Steve,
    The table was drawn in solidworks. It would take some time to convert the model to DXF drawings. I would have paid for a design that i thought looked good and included all the part numbers. It takes alot of time to design and source parts.
    Dave
    Oh I totally understand Your machine looks good enough to market the plans... I would be interested if you decide to produce them...

I was mainly interested in how you made the water table water tight... Sealant or did you wield the joints...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Steve,
    The table is one piece and it has 3 welds on each end. One in the center and then the corners.
    Dave

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast