Aussie Plasma Build - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aussie Plasma Build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Aussie Plasma Build

That sounds interesting I'll read up on it.

Today progress has been attaching permanent bracing and removing temporary bracing also made a start on the perimeter of the the water tray.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks really good Will. I've spent the day on software and have pretty much completed the LinuxCNC configuration. I had surgery on my finger on Good Friday after I stuck a milling cutter into it, so I am still avoiding the hands on stuff. I have just found an obscure feature in LinuxCNC that will allow me to read variables from the screen (pins in linuxcnc speak) in gcode. It stumped me for a while until I worked out the gcode interpreter does not like upper case characters in pin names.

I'd like to squeeze in one more variable on this screen if I can!

You can see this GUI is designed for a touch screen. I've modified it pretty heavily from one of the LinuxCNC standard interfaces.

Sorry for the Hijack.

Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's ok mate I don't mind at all. Have you considered putting a feedhold and stop button on your main screen so that if you have issues with the tip contacting the scrap or dirt in tip that you can stop, clean tip, rewind gcode and continue on?

Had a lazy Sunday. Lazy as in worked on it all day and looked back and saw hardly and progress lol. I'm up to the water tray. I'm a structural welder not a sheet metal worker, so it seems no matter what I do to manage the heat it still buckles a bit on me. I've decided to weld the tray up completely first then come back to grind and smooth out last. If I was to offer advice it would be to have tray bent up and then only weld the corner shut.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Willpower View Post
    That's ok mate I don't mind at all. Have you considered putting a feedhold and stop button on your main screen so that if you have issues with the tip contacting the scrap or dirt in tip that you can stop, clean tip, rewind gcode and continue on?
    WIll, yes, thats all on another tab you get to by the buttons on the right hand side. The current tab is for jogging, then there is another MDI tab for entering manual gcode and below that is the run tab where you load gcode etc It has the controls you mention. I've also got external buttons for Run/Step and Pause/Resume together with some cool warning lights. I've got a traffic light mast to go on top of the machine that will mirror these lights so you can see from a distance whats going on. Here's what I mean. Some people think its cool!

Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice I was wanting to put the lights up aswell got other things to do other than stand around a machine and even tho it would go silent there's still to much noise going on that I'd notice.

Well I don't much care for sheet metal work haha. What a nightmare today has been. No matter what I did I couldn't stop it from buckling on me. I'll just have to flatten it out when I put it back in the frame.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another day done and still just working on the water tray. So I fully seam welded from underneath and put the tray back in the frame and spent most of the day getting the heat buckle out of it. I got it really close to being flat again and tomorrow I'll get the rest done and hopefully start working on the sump at the other end. Then it's on the make the slat adjusters so I can raise and lower the slats for different tasks and it gives me adjustability to get them flat.

Anyways here's some progress pics

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Worked on the sump today and started putting on the rail support brackets

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Must be a Queenslander thing that we don't do things by halves

Great looking machine there Willpower. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aussie Plasma Build-20150212_135828-jpg  
    If my post is missing an 'nt you might have to add it yourself.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It looks impressive, good luck with the project.

Downloads
    Uploads

Outstanding welds. Nice to see craftmanship in the workshop.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    I had surgery on my finger on Good Friday after I stuck a milling cutter into it
    Been there, done that ! I was alone at home at the time and did not think riding the bike to the hospital was a very good idea.

Plus the doc was shut between 12h and 14h and I had to pick the bits of ali swarf out and clean it up myself. Stuck it back together with butterfly sutures. Worked out OK for a DIY job. Barely any visible scarring and not loss of sensitivity.

Tricky bit was controlling the very fine nosed tweezers and the magnifying glass while the adrenaline was making my hands shaky.

Lucky it was a nice clean, sharp 1/4" end mill. Sounds like yours went a bit deeper.

They're great for cutting metal but make a really messy job on fingers and thumbs Hope it heals up nice and quick.

BTW , really nice welding and construction work there Will. I wish I had a barn that big for my workshop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12