Wanting to build a 4x8 plasma table

Thread: Wanting to build a 4x8 plasma table

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wanting to build a 4x8 plasma table

I am in the pre planning phase of building a CNC plasma table. I am wanting to order a little bit here and a little bit there just as I have the extra money. I'm not worried about building the table structure it self, that's the easy part lol I have mig stick and tig welders. I have a small plasma right now that I will use till I buy a suitable replacement. I am thinking about using timing belts for it seems like the cheapest solution for shipping cost and availability. But for right now I am looking at hobbycnc pro 4 axis kit with nema 23 steppers however I am unsure of is the size 130, 205 or 305.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wanting to build a 4x8 plasma table

I would not consider using timing belts on a table that large for plasma. If you did, you would want pretty large belting and then there goes any savings over R&P. I would suggest R&P for X and Y. Not sure that the electronics package will suit you for very long, but you would want the larger motors. That is about the size I have on my 4 x 4. I think most guys running a 4 x 8 table have more robust electronics than what you are looking at. Remember speed is critical with thinner materials on a plasma table. Or you will just be cutting plate.
    Good luck with it.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the response, do you know any place that is reasonably priced for R&P? I am just looking for a hobby table lol, doubt i will use it a whole lot just something to play with. I appreciate your help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Then why build a 4 x 8 table?
    Most hobby size table are 4 x 4 or smaller. My table is actually 5 x 5, so I can put oversize material on it. Even a full size sheet can be laid on the machine and the the plasma can cut in half etc.
    I will say if you have plenty a room, a 4 x 8 is probably the way to go.

I bought the R&P for my table years ago when I was first getting into cnc machines. I bought it from McMaster Carr. It was reasonable. There are other sources as well, but I don't know those off hand. Maybe someone else can help you with those.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was thinking about 4x4 but i figured if i was going to fork out the money and time to build a table I would do it big enough the first time, in my shop i have the perfect corner to fit it in. vented and 220V right there in a clean area. while I was searching on here I came across a guy who 3d printed his R&P but then he never finished his build that I have found.. i find that pretty interesting because i can buy a 3d printer for around the same as the R&P required... still tossing around ideas

Downloads
    Uploads

Unless you just want a 3D printer, I would not buy one with hopes that it could produce usable Rack. Maybe for another 3D printer, but certainly not for a 4 x 8 foot plasma cutter. Is it doable? Yes. It is usable? No, not really. The first issue is that many printed parts can warp. You would need a lot of shorter rack joined together. Nearly impossible to get and keep them straight. Then, it's plastic. You will have quite a bit of mass for the gantry and it would need to move pretty fast. When you change direction rapidly, I can see it keep on going right through plastic teeth. Just save your money and buy steel rack. You can start with a 4' section on each side and just build it so you can add additional rack as you can afford it. You really only need 3 pieces to start with.
    You are only looking at just over $100 for three pieces.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's brilliant! Build the table as a 4x8 but only have it function as a 4x4 till I can afford the rest! Great idea! What size of R&Pmshould I look at? As for the nema motors I might be better off ordering bigger ones off eBay or similar site vs hobby CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

I would not worry about the electronics just yet.
    Get the machine going with linear ways first. You have to figure out what type you will use first. You will like need some gearing as well for the motors to the racks. Your Z axis should have a ball screw. An Acme screw will work too. You need to consider if you buy the raw screw stock, you would have to turn the ends. Might be best to buy that ready to go.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/272419744906

This is what I was planning on ordering for my Z axis pre build and already in Canada. I have read a lot of reviews online and it seems to be pretty good. I'm in the ordering and planning phase right now, I have a lot of down time at work and not much at home currently. Once I finish my shop I'll have the time and space to start building, until then it takes up my time building it

Downloads
    Uploads

You are wise to get one that is prebuilt. Without the right machinery, the Z axis can be difficult to pull off nicely.
    I bought a little bigger one for my plasma. Works great.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    You are wise to get one that is prebuilt. Without the right machinery, the Z axis can be difficult to pull off nicely.
    I bought a little bigger one for my plasma. Works great.
    Will that height be high enough for mine? How much travel does yours have?

I am also looking at these to make the gantry easier

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/112276324493

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine has 12", but I only use 5 or 6 at most. There were no shorter ones on Ebay when I needed it. They do make them 6" and 8 or 9" from the company I bought mine from. It has bearings and a ball screw, but the bushings in yours should do fine. I have to periodically flush out my bearings. I just use WD40 premium plasma bearing flush in a can.

That is a nice kit and will save you a lot of time machining your own. They are not designed to use gearing on the motors though, so that will limit your speed and torque considerably by direct driving nema 23 motors.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

they also sell linear guide rails and blocks