Build Thread Australian Precision Plasma Build

Thread: Australian Precision Plasma Build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Australian Precision Plasma Build

Hello,

Sorry for the long post, and no photos

After a long and bumpy road of CNC Plasma cutting, I am starting a new machine which will hopefully put all the other trials and tribulation behind me.

But first a bit about myself.
    My name is Daniel, i live in Melbourne, Australia and run my own small one man Fabrication business.

I've been interested in CNC for a number of years (having an engine machining background) and have always been in awe of all things CNC/Robotics.
    So one day I decided that I would build a 3D printer to try and get my head around the idea of CNC.
    With that successfully behind me the next logical step was a CNC plasma.
    I search this and other forums looking for a design to make my own.It was hard trying to find something that would fit into the things that I could make.
    I only have welding equipment, and after looking at many build logs it was staring to thinkt that I would need some way of machining parts for the plasma.

Then I came across this design from instructables CNC Plasma Table
    Australian Precision Plasma Build-2-jpg

I thought I had found the holly grail (for me anyways) this design involved NO machining and was built from laser cut parts. Boy was I wrong/naive..
    While it was a good machine to get my toes wet, it soon became apparent that this machine was not going to do what I needed, It didn't have the accuracy and was always in need of attention.

So here we are, In need of a new machine, Something more robust, accurate, repeatable and somewhat left to cut on its own

I've been researching for a few months now, Trying to piece something together that will work for me.
    Its mainly been compromises tho.
    Being in Australia really makes it hard, most items do not ship to Australia and those that do after exchange rate, import tax and shipping are ridiculously priced.
    But I have been somewhat happy in what I have been able to piece together.

I was looking at precision plasma's website, and boy do they have some nice stuff that would be perfect for me (ie. no machining, bolt together kit) but THEY DO NOT SHIP..
    After some hunting around I found a ebay seller that had a iplasma gantry kit for sale.
    now its one of the older style ones that uses cold rolled steel. As much as I'd love to go with linear rails, Beggars cant be choosy.

So I snapped it up.
    Even managed to find some local imperial steel sizes that would work..

This is where we are at ATM:
    Australian Precision Plasma Build-3-jpg

Frame build with rails bolted down.
    I've pretty much followed the prints given to me, although I have made the cutting bed about 100mm (4") longer in both directions.
    And will be making a water table. will most likely add a air operated tank as well but that will be after its setup and cutting.

Now with the motion.
    I have contacted Candcnc and they will be shipping a dragoncut 620 with hyt very soon (thank god they ship otherwise this would be a whole month of extra research)
    With electronics sorted needed to figure out what mechanical motion we would use.
    Now from what I've read a 3-1 reduction is the way to go. Problem is I cannot find one that will ship to Australia. And making my own without a mill just seems out of the question (unless some one has a better idea)
    So for now, direct drive is our only option.
    I found these online (sorry cant upload photo, but they are essentially a belt idler that bolt each side of the motor pulley to allow belts to be used) and I'm going to try them out, I already have all the timing belt and pulleys I need, so there is not much to loose. If it doesn't work I'll consed and more to rack and pinion.

As with the Z axis, I was looking at the velox (I think it is) floating Z, but to get it shipped here was going to be hwy robbery. then i found a company in Australia that do magnetic break away mounts at a reasonable price. Perfect, as I'm getting the feather touch from Candcnc I believe I don"t need a floating Z.

So that"s where I'm at.
    I have a few smaller items ordered such as cable track, limit switches, and some stuff for a air scribe, but I'm waiting on the electronics to get any further.

Sorry for the long post guys, but if there is anything you think I may have over looked or something you would do differently please let me know. My decisions aren't set in concrete just trying to get the best setup I can with my limited resources.

Cheers

Daniel

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Australian Precision Plasma Build

So we have had a bit of progress.

Got the Chinese Z axis in the mail today, Its look pretty well built for the price, not that I really have anything to compare it to, But I'm pretty happy and hope it will do the job.

Australian Precision Plasma Build-20160610_145341-jpg
    Australian Precision Plasma Build-20160610_145348-jpg

I've also realized that I will need to get a plate machined that will bolt on to the Z axis and connect the breakaway torch.
    I'll have to wait for the breakaway to get measurements and see who I can get to do it.

I also received the timing belt tensioner things in the mail.
    Australian Precision Plasma Build-20160610_145928-jpg
    Australian Precision Plasma Build-20160610_145816-jpg

I hooked a motor up to the x axis and connected up to my old controller to see how it stands up.
    It seams to work ok. I'm not sure it will last and I may move to using rack and pinion (and a reduction system if I can find one)
    But for the time being I think it will suffice, plus I already have all the gear here so will cost me nothing.

So while I'm waiting on the magic box from Candcnc I started looking into plasma cutters.
    I have read so many threads all over the internet regarding a plasma.
    My old machine has a 100amp BOC (australian Brand) unit. and while this is a good cutter for hand held, its not great for mechanical work.
    From everything I've read hypertherm is the way to go.
    Originally I had my heart set on a powermax 65, stupid me was looking at US prices and thought yeah I could make that price work.
    Then I went to a local dealer and they told me I'd be looking at AU$5500 for a 65.
    I cant justify that price. the 65 would be nice with the new torch and the serial port that lets the computer set air pressure and amps. But its just too expensive.
    and the fact that i rarely cut anything over 12mm (1/2 in) I figured I could get away with a powermax 45.
    So I got one priced up AU$3400, Still expensive but I could manage it.
    Then I thought what if i could find a second hand unit.
    The only one I could find was a powermax1000 g3. (never heard of it)
    After some research found out its an older unit, but can be upgraded to the new duramax torch.
    Hmm now I don't know what to do, I can get the 1000 for AU$2000, just waiting on a price for the torch.

The question I have.
    I'm guessing that the price of the powermax1000 with the duramax torch is going to come very close in price to the new powermax45
    Which would be a better way to go?
    I know the duramax has fine cut consumables which could come in handy with thinner material.
    But I'n guessing that the 1000 would need a voltage divider to connect up to the Candcnc THC, plus its a second hand unit

I don't know which way to go.
    I've got a couple of weeks till my stuff from Candcnc ship so need to figure this out before then so I can organize which connection kit I will need.

Tell me your thoughts people, what would you do in my position?

Downloads
    Uploads

Great to see another Aussie on the same journey as I am on. I tried about 12 months ago and failed as I could not get my PC to talk to a breakout board and life got in the way until one day I looked at all the work I'd done sitting on my office desk so I regrouped and started again moving from a ghetto build concept to a serious machine using linear rails, LinuxCNC with a Mesa 7i76E ethernet board and their THCAD addon board.. After many many hours of design time, I started machining parts for the Z axis yesterday. I'm not sure what machine you ended up with but I purchased a 50 amp plasma from Everlast Inverter Welders For Sale Australia | Aluminium, Lincoln & Miller Welders. I also purchased a 75 amp machine torch from them. Comes complete with a 5 year warranty. Sounds like their 60 amp Powerplama 60C would be ideal for your needs as it comes with a machine torch as standard.. PowerPlasma 60C PowerPlasma Plasma Cutters

Anyway, here's where I'm at (complete with pneumatic scribe.. The gantry is a bit unconventional but am planning on using a laser cut and folded aluminium gantry with a few setscrews to align the linear rails if required. If it doesn't work, I'll try something different.

And detail of the floating head and magnetic breakaway using pairs of N & S polarised magnets with M4 countersunk holes.

Anyway, enough of my build, where's your update?

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

G'day Guys,
    I'm also building a hobby 5'x'5' CNC Plasma Table and I'm in rural South Aussie and to answer one of your questions regarding gear reduction via belt and pulley anyhow have you looked at https://www.tea.net.au They keep most of the ger you might need, and the prices re ok, but they are Oz based and will post.
    I am also looking at getting an Everlast 50S as that is what I can afford and it's still single phase.
    I will have to keep an eye on your build and PM me if you want to keep in touch via email.
    The plasma will be my fourth CNC home build with the others being routers and a mill conversion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    That Everlast 50S has pilot arc? What THC do you use? Proma?

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't got to that point yet in my build and I'm still trying to get my head around the whole THC thing
    I have read good and bad reports on every brand that I have looked at, so I think it is more up to the user and or installer how well that it works for them.
    I like the Proma's price range and I have been looking at this range Product Categories Torch Height Controls which get reasonable reports but
    I still can't decide on one that fits in my budget.
    Oh, and yes the Everlast is supposed to have Pilot Arc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Guys, good to see a bit more activity in Australia. If you are looking for a stand alone THC (like Proma), I have an unused THC3T-03 that I suspect will become surplus very shortly. See pic below. It has its own voltage divider and instructions to install under Mach3. Make me an offer....

This was my last effort 12 months ago which stalled when my little plasma cutter died and the PC refused to talk to my Breakout board. The reason for not needing the THC is that I will be using LinuxCNC and a Mesa 7i67E ethernet card. Mesa have a very reasonably priced THC module (USD $69) so I decided to get one of them while I was purchasing the interface board.

Anyway, here's where I got to on the Z axis over the weekend. It changed a little since I did the original design.

A stepper mounting bracket arrived today to get that stepper attached to the shaft and the Steel enclosure I ordered also arrived as I figure once I get the Z axis complete, setting up the hardware and PC will become the order of the day. I think it will be a few weeks before I get this axis finished which is the most time consuming part of the build.

I had a go at the magnetic mount last night and broke a tap on the last hole but decided the original design was not going to work so will resort to another design. Main problem was the magnets ended up being a press fit in the holes cut with a matching sized end mill.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rod,
    I like pictures, now I can see what a floating head looks like, but is it a must have feature or just insurance as I have had touch probes work on cnc routers before so what's so different ?
    I have never dabbled much with Linux and mainly been a Win & Mach3 person, I only tried once with a linux install and the thing took forever to boot up , worse than a windows pc, so I spat the dummy and went back to Windoze.
    But out of interest I will look into that Linux stuff.
    Was that THC you have a POS or did it work or more importantly how much as don't want to offend you with a $20 offer which may be overpriced, I will google THC3T-03

This is as far as I am so far building the frame and table

Australian Precision Plasma Build-rack-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I just had a quick look at Fleabay and found this doc http://www.robot3t.com/images/docume...ck_Diagram.pdf and if that is the install instructions then it's not for me I don't reckon
    as me and electrickery are not best friends or should I say that I'm as dumb as dog sh%t when it comes to electrics
    I can follow instructions that are written in english and not chinglish and that is where a lot of the "asian" products fall flat is in the translation, even though they are usually good products for the price.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you go to the proma thc site they have an animated video that shows how the floating head works.

Because I never got any hardware working, the THC never got used other than powered on to see menu options. They do have more comprehensive instructions and a manual. They gave good support via email. It still might be handy as we have a 120 amp plasma at work which could utilise it if we want to put it on a table.

Its interesting to see where different people start their projects.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I started at the bottom and I am working my way up because to me that is the most affordable and logical way to start my project.
    I received my linear rails and bearings yesterday and I have started to mount the rails to the gantry and made up the carriage plates for the Y axis bearing trucks.
    I hope to get both of them fitted and squared up tomorrow .
    I will post some pics when get something worth showing done.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got a bit done on the X & Y axis rails and everything is moving freely but it's just temporarily secured but starting to take shape slowly.
    I'm making the Z axis from left over parts which are way overkill with a 25mm. ballscrew/nut.

Australian Precision Plasma Build-xy2-jpgAustralian Precision Plasma Build-xy5-jpgAustralian Precision Plasma Build-xy7-jpgAustralian Precision Plasma Build-xy9-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Got a bit more done on the Z axis today but I still have to make the floating head mount and then cobble up the motor mounts and rest of X and Y R & P drive systems.
    Australian Precision Plasma Build-zaxis1-jpgAustralian Precision Plasma Build-zaxis3-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

It's been a while and taken a few upgrades to the electronics and added a slave A Axis as it was not up to scratch with just one.
    I also upgraded the power supply to a 48V 10A Meanwell to cater for the extra load
    I have also installed a Neuron Simplicity THC with the help of Andrew the designer of the product and the machine is finally alive and has just made it first test cut.
    I highly recommend the Neuron THC range of products and especially the customer support from Andrew, so look him up at Products a bit more pricey than a Proma, but you get what you pay for.
    The rest of the package is Mach3, SheetCam, ESS Smoothstepper running on a Win 7 HP Laptop
    M542 Drivers, Nema 24 motors, Rack & Pinion drives at 3:1 reduction drive, Z axis uses a 20mm Anti backlash Ballscrew & Nut with a home made Floating Head mount.
    Qick video of it's first cut.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey mate where did you buy the linear rail from? ebay? Is the chinese stuff ok? I'm in SA so it'd be good to find a seller thats trusted etc.

Also, any pics of your gantry carriages? Just wondering about the r&p drives etc

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes all off Ebay mate. This is my fourth CNC build and I have never had any issues with any of the Linear rails and Bearings. Just shopp around and you can usually get a bundle of the lengths for all your axis for a good price and most will cut and machine to suit if need be.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a Chinese seller on Ebay called Noulei who has a rather nice 5:1 reduction gearset with a pinion and matching gear rack. But I had to upgrade to NEMA 34 steppers

He's a bit dear on the linear rails so I paired this with some 25 mm Hiwin rails from aliexpress. I've modified them with a mount for a microphone socket for the wiring that required a bit of drilling and tapping and an ally mount.. They were about the same price as 15mm rails bought from cnc 'n cupcake world on ebay.

The rails and racks are mounted to laser cut 12mm plate steel with about 50 tapped holes in it and the gantry is 6mm ally laser cut and folded. I'm nearing the end of what will probably be a 12 month project. I have the table all cut out and am trying to work out a clear weekend to put it all together.

I spoke to TEA and also Ronson gears

Cheers guys, hope that helps.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

A bit more stuff for ideas.

Most of the linear stuff here is from cnc 'n cupcake world

If I did it again, I'd only use 1 x 25mm rail.

I built the 3:1 reduction ratio. I had to machine the shaft and its supported at the base. Kinda the reason why I went with the prebuilt gearboxes for the X axis.

And this gives you an idea of the magnetic break away. Blue proximity sensor is wired to e-stop. I have a tiny bit of play in this but have a plan B to eliminate it. I made the mount long so I could get a cover around the whole drive

Closeup of the floating head.

Sorry to hijack, I'll climb back under my rock now. If you want to see more of my build, duck over to the Linuxcnc forum.
    https://forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your...d?limitstart=0

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cheers for that, good to see some aussie builds

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk