Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log

I've read alot, and learned alot, here on the forums, so when I finally pulled the trigger on a new system I decided that, I too, would document my experiences as a kind of pay-it-forward for the next guy. So.... Thanks everybody who posted before, and good luck to those still figuring it out.

Note, The events here started on 4/17/2016. If you're reading this much later, then keep in mind that information changes and products get updated.

I'll spare you the months long analysis. I decided to go with a Precision Plasma llc gantry kit. The systems look to be extremely high quality, within an affordable price range, and very very high reputation. In fact, I could not find any bad reviews. After more analysis, I decided to go with a 5x10 table, as it is the largest size of metal sheet which is reasonably available, and anything smaller would some day lead to me whining, "why didn't I just get it 2 feet longer?". I have also decided to go with the Hypertherm 85. Once again it is incredibly well supported and thought of, and (yet again) it is the largest reasonable size.

O.k., So which one? Precision Plasma's website showed 2 models, the Magnum and the 8020 HD. I am a machinist who can weld. I am not a welder. I was planning to go with the 8020 HD, as it is a more bolt together kit, and I never intend to route with it. Just a couple of days before I went to make a purchase, the site was updated to include The Speed Demon HD. The real difference is the LM76 rails. I was sold. I didn't like the idea of trying to fabricate rails from CRS, as I'm just too picky and worried I wouldn't like the result.

A few emails later, and I sent Ron at PPllc a money order. Hoping for parts soon. My parts and choices as follows:

Speed Demon HD 5x10 Gantry Kit 2995
    PPllc Z-axis 650
    Magnetic Break-away Mount 400
    300 oz Z axis motor 50
    Shipping 150
    Grand total so far.............. 4245

I chose the more expensive PPllc Z-axis over the Velox unit as it uses a ballscrew vs an acme thread. Coupled with the 300 oz motor, this should let my Z feedrates really fly! Ought to make for some spectacular crashes too! Hence the Magnetic mount.

Random Note: If you opt for the 300oz motor (from PPllc), you will still be getting 4 motors in the CandCNC kit (when you order it from them later). Makes for a spare. Also the 300oz motor comes with 15 feet wire leads. The 5x10 needs 25 feet. I'll deal with that later.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by INTJGuy; 04-21-2016 at 02:27 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log

Next Step,

I went to The Yard Store in Wichita, Ks. I purchased the steel necessary to build, per the prints, the lower frame, and the rails.

Total cost of steel:

Grand total so far:

The only change I chose to make is to build the "feet" of the table entirely under the tube / leg. The plans have it sticking out the side so that it can be bolted down. I'll be using threaded swivel adjusters through the center of the legs/feet.

Oh yeah, The Yard doesn't stock 14 gauge, so it'll all be 1/8" wall. Should be easier to weld.

Last edited by INTJGuy; 04-21-2016 at 02:29 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Making minimal progress, but it's still progress.

1.) I received my shipping confirmation on Friday from Ron at PPllc. Looks like I'll be getting goodies on Tuesday. Really looking forward to it.

2.) Went back to the yard store and picked up my steel order.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160423_132635-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160423_132635-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

3.) Picked up this cabinet to house my PC, monitor, keyboard, etc. Cost 25 dollars.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160423_132625-jpg

4.) Started the GREAT SHOP CLEANUP OF 2016. Seriously, it's not my shop and everyone in the family just dumps stuff there. Still I'm grateful to have it. Should be finished and work ready tomorrow.

I also spent some time at Boge Iron (in Wichita) trying to find a scrap milling machine that I could pull the table off of. Couldn't get one, though. I've got some leads, should have one soon enough. It's not for the Plasma Machine directly, but I want my welding to be flat, straight, and true. If I can find a large cast iron milling table and mount it on a frame, I should be able to use it (with a t-nut clamp set) to hold my pieces in near perfect alignment while welding. Or that's the hope anyway.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Shop is clean, steel moved indoors.

Also, ordered 6 swivel feet from ebay. Carr Lane part number CL-3-JFL. Cost was 8.00 each, total for 6 plus shipping comes to 54.80

Including the 25.00 from the last post for the cabinet, that brings the grand total to 4763.64

Will be ordering the LM76 rails next. Just gotta move funds around first.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Everything you have sounds very familiar. I'm on the downhill side with my Magnum build. I have that same computer cabinet. My father-in-law brought it home from work because they were going to throw it away. It worked out pretty good. I wasn't a fan of the blue plus it had some rough areas so I pulled it apart and painted it. I was able to get the computer and CandCNC box mounted in the lower portion. I added a panel to the back so the lower section is fully closed off except for the gap around the front door. My plans are to add a fan where the cut-out is for the lower junction box on the back. Unfortunately there wasn't enough room below the keyboard shelf for the Powermax85 to sit so I picked up a welding cart to setup next to it. That will make it nice though when I need to pull the P85 away from the table to use the hand torch. I just need to get the P85 wired up and I'm ready to start testing my machine. Good luck with the build.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Beings.

My cabinet was nearly trash as well. I picked it up at a surplus sale from Cessna / Beech / Textron. I really only intend to put the pc in it. I'm going to run a machine style torch, so I'll be attaching the plasma cutter to / on / near the frame. The CandCNC stuff will go on frame too. I figure if I can keep it all together it'll be neater, cleaner, and less likely to get yanked loose.

I keep thinking about adding a small a/c unit to the cabinet to keep the pc cool, and more importantly, totally isolated from outside contamination, ie plasma grit. It'll be filtered at the minimum.

Today I picked up a nice (read, expensive) Wilton brand corner clamp. I think the welding table is going to have to wait until one becomes available later. However the clamp should let me do nice butt welded corners and tees.

I also tried to drill the 6 3x3 plates that will hold the swivel feet on the bottom of the legs, but I was stymied when the only 5/8 drill bit I could find looked like it had been used as a chisel. I know I bought a nice one, but I put it up so it wouldn't get destroyed. But, where? It's a problem for tomorrow.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up fighting with the welder, but got it going good now. Took the picture to show the leg bases. 3x3" steel has been sanded and drilled, then a nut was bolted into the hole to center it, then welded in place. I'll get the rest done tonight, then weld them onto the 3x3x30" square tubing that is the legs. Also my package from 80/20 showed up (Aluminum Extrusions). FedEx is running a day late with my two packages from PPllc. We had heavy rains which slowed everything down.

6 5/8-11 Nuts cost 1.00
    Grand total... 4764.64

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160427_114002-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160427_113725-jpg  
    Last edited by INTJGuy; 04-27-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thought I'd throw this in here to show the conditions I'm working in. Some of the builds I've seen done look like they're being done in pro level fab shops. I have a Miller Mig welder, an old rusty drill press, bench with a vise, oxy/acetyline torch, and a chop saw. Other than hand tools, that's about it. I highly recommend a decent, (as in not harbor freight) welder, but otherwise I don't think you need that many tools to get this done in your own garage.

Oh, and a gratuitous picture of the super clamp.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160427_114034-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160427_120649-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh man! It's Christmas in Kansas.

The 8020 showed up today, and so did both boxes from PPllc, plus the swivel feet I ordered off of ebay.

O.K. back to work.

Finished welding the other 5 nuts and then welded the leg bases to the legs.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160428_013954-jpg

Tomorrow I'll get started making the plates that weld to the top of the legs, which mate to the rails.

I noticed today that whomever cut my steel order kinda rushed the bandsaw cuts. This gives it a slight taper. I guess that's to be expected. I kinda fixated on it for awhile, but then I remember that's what I got the super-clamp for. If I use the pieces as is, there will be a slight gap along one side before welding. I just need to make sure that this isn't on the fillet weld, as it will try to close up that much harder. This isn't ideal, but it's manageable. I do intend to be super careful when welding the plates on top of the legs to get them flat, as these hold the gantry rails.

Looking forward to the weekend so I can make some real progress.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Speed Demon rails have been ordered.

Cost for 4 rollers plus 2 rails (for 10ft machine) is 1088.00 plus 5.00 residential delivery fee.

Grand total is now; 5857.64

Downloads
    Uploads

We need Pics.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tbrd69 View Post
    We need Pics.
    As soon as I get 'em in. I promise. Could be a week or more, I don't even have a tracking number yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

A couple of years ago I was seriously looking at a Torchmate. They pulled their discount for new people on another forum. It prevented me from buying one then. and rubbed me the wrong way. Glad that it happened that way, seeing how things are going with the Torchmate Growth Series now.

I have been looking at the route you are going now for a while now. I wasn't sure about the cold rolled steel guide rails myself. The Speed Demon fixed that. I just haven't decided between a 4X4 or a 4X8. Can't wait to see how yours goes.

I already have the Powermax 85. I need to upgrade my air compressor and electrical yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unless I was ONLY looking to make small stuff, like the occasional bracket, etc., I wouldn't even consider the 4x4. You will eventually need / want to cut something just a touch over 4ft. The price jump is negligible for a whole lot more real estate.

Good example: I will probably try to cut an interlocking set of grates for my material support. The grate / slats will need to be slightly longer than the cut width of the table. If I have a 4x8, then I can cut slats that are 4.5' long, by arranging them on the long axis.

Same goes for if I want skirting for the table. On my 5x10 table, skirting would be roughly 33" tall and 5' 3" wide. Can't do it on a 5x5.

The only exception would be if I just couldn't fit a 4x8 in my garage/shop. Even then I'd look hard at building an enclosed car-port for it first.

In construction news, not much progress tonight. Basically just sanded mill scale off of the plates. Kinda glad that chore is over with. Helpful Hint for everyone. Try to find cold rolled steel for all the flat plates. It'll save a whole lot of nasty work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by INTJGuy View Post
    Unless I was ONLY looking to make small stuff, like the occasional bracket, etc., I wouldn't even consider the 4x4. You will eventually need / want to cut something just a touch over 4ft. The price jump is negligible for a whole lot more real estate.

The only exception would be if I just couldn't fit a 4x8 in my garage/shop. Even then I'd look hard at building an enclosed car-port for it first.

In construction news, not much progress tonight. Basically just sanded mill scale off of the plates. Kinda glad that chore is over with. Helpful Hint for everyone. Try to find cold rolled steel for all the flat plates. It'll save a whole lot of nasty work.
    It is a room issue. A 4X8 would really make things cramped. Adding on more room for it becomes a money issue. Wish I could go 5X10.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

UH-OH.

I got an email letting me know the Speed Demon bearing blocks are backordered through May. I might have an idea for a work around that I pitched to Ron at PPllc. We'll see if he thinks it's workable.

Interesting thing: I ordered Speed Demon parts from Automation4Less, then got a couple of calls that turned out to be from Control Resources (I never actually got the calls), and the Email is from Braasco Inc. Apparently, they're all the same company?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I asked Ron about substituting 4 roller blocks in for the 3 roller blocks. They are slightly longer. Turns out that they would interfere with each other. Ron actually sat down and figured out how to cut them down and get them in there anyway, and then drew it up and sent me a print.

No wonder everyone raves about the service.

p.s. I 've decided to just wait it out. The modified blocks aren't a perfect fit, and it's just not worth the trouble to me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All the top plates were laid out, drilled, and deburred.

Then they were situated on top of the legs, and welded into place.

Next, the super clamp put in the lower crossbar.

Interesting note, the super clamp has one side that is a little narrower. That side will not allow the 3" to pass through. It still works fine, you just have to make sure to use the correct orientation.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-plates-drilled-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-plate-mount-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-super-clamp-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

With both sides welded on.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-h-bar-jpg

Then, because the upper tube sits flush, I had to grind down the welds inside the top plates.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-grind-jpg

Then, clamped and welded the upper tube in place.
    Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-full-jpg

I should note, that one of the upper tubes tapped into place, one slid into place, and one had about a 3/16" gap that I had to pull closed with a ratchet strap.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast