Thread: Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log

Thanks for that mate.
    Yeah I know they need space.
    And also access to the front panel.
    But this gives me an idea of where it can fit.
    I really like your trolley and have been thinking eather go with something like that or make a box that will hinge off the front left post on the frame. That will swing out from under the table with a flip top lid for the monitor.
    Seems like alot of work though.
    Ill have to have a think about it.

Have you got the pc fired up yet?
    I'm waiting on electronics and it's killing me.
    So I'm living vicariously though your build.

Keep the updates coming

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First, I goofed a dimension on the pictures. It's fixed now, but the bolt hole width was off. What can I say, I'm better with calipers than a tape measure.

PC fired up just once, then shut it down. Don't want to mess with it until all the wires are ran. Soon....

Consider using a roll around toolbox. Or you could get a smaller top chest with one of those giant opening tops if you want it on a swing arm. Either way provides a lot of protection and storage. For that matter try looking in the storage section of one of the big home improvement stores. They can be pricey, but once you know what you want you can go scrounging / bargain hunting.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Made a plate from 14 gauge that will bolt onto the back of the box, painted it and welded into place. I really wanted it a bit higher, but the lower bolt holes interfered with the frame.

Mounted the box, then started stringing the machine torch through. Looks like I've got enough extra that I could put the P85 in front of the machine if I wanted. Definitely not going to have issues with it being short.

Motors to be installed next, I think.

Bought 14ga plate and 10-32 machine screws for 17.12 (from metal rack at lowes, kinda pricey, but I had limited options.)

Bought another can of spray paint for 4.15

Grand Total 13863.22

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160620_011154-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160620_015209-jpg  
    Last edited by INTJGuy; 06-21-2016 at 02:27 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I trial fitted the three motors for X and Y, then loctited the pulleys and mounted them and pulled their wires through the rack.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-wire-track-jpg

Way back in my first post I mentioned that I bought a high speed motor for Z axis, but it only came with 15' wires, instead of the 25' that the 5x10 table needs. I planned to rewire it, but I noticed that I had a lot of excess on the first three motors so I decided to pull it through and see. There was probably only 2-3" to spare, but it fits just fine. No need to mess with getting longer wiring for it.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-behind-y-jpg

I also notched the plastic covers that go on each end of the 8020 extrusion. This let me run the wire for the farthest X motor through the gantry.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160621_010449-jpg

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160621_010413-jpg

Next task: I need to get up to speed on the smaller peripheral pieces of the CandCNC setup. Also gotta find something to set the Hypertherm on.

Sparks by this weekend????

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Picked up an aquarium stand, of all things, to hold the hypertherm up off the floor.

Started by installing the PWM module. Pretty simple, the adapter cable plugs into the big round connector (CPC or Central Plastic Connector) on the back of the Hypertherm, then into the PWM module. I should probably note, that there's a jumper on the back of the PWM module that you have to move to make it compatible with the Hypertherm. Pretty obvious when you look at it, as it's clearly labeled.

Then you run the an ethernet cable from the PWM module to the Control box. Easy, enough.

Decided to hook up the rs485 connection next. The module and the green connector are from CandCNC, the black connector is identical to the green one, but was installed in the Hypertherm from the factory. Kinda confused me for a bit.

I also had to watch the CandCNC videos to see which way the module mounted as you could rotate it 180 degrees and get it wrong.

Then it's another ethernet cable, but run to the hub, which is going to mount near the PC as it has a short USB cable to connect it. NOTE, only port 1 can be used for the RS485 connection.

Then I connected the two control box to hub ethernet cables, which are conveniently color coded on the control box.

I figure I'm probably going to get something wrong here, so if you spot something lemme know, and I'll get it sorted out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-pwm-box-cable-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160622_012705-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-confusing-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-rs485-hub-jpg  

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-3-wire-box-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-3-wire-hub-jpg  
    Last edited by INTJGuy; 06-22-2016 at 04:18 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This little dude senses the cutting amps. It sits on the ground lead near the Hypertherm. It basically just slips over the cable and clamps down.

There's a grey wire (RJ45, same as a telephone wire) that connects to the PWM module.

And here's a better picture of the setup with the aquarium stand.

BTW, that stand set me back 31.84 which brings the Grand Total to 13895.06

I don't really care for the cable mess. I may shorten the unnecessary length on the motor wires, and replace some of the ethernet cables with lengths that will be more appropriate to my build. (not curled up around everything).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-current-probe-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160622_025456-jpg   Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-stand-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Getting closer.

This is the ohmic sensing module. It attaches to the side of Z with velcro. In the picture I've run the cable to the control box via the cable racks, but still need to find a way to support them so they don't get tangled up. Just need some grommet / brackets to locate them with.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-feathertouch-module-jpg

There are 4 wires not hooked up, one goes to the machine body (think ground), one goes to the torch tip, and the other two go to the Z axis microswitch to act as a last ditch estop in case the ohmic touch fails to sense. Unfortunately as you can see, they are a solder on type, and my soldering iron bit the dust awhile back. I'll hafta get another one tomorrow.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-switch-spares-jpg

I found that baggie of parts in with the ohmic sensor stuff. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be mounting tabs for the control box, I just didn't find them until after the box was mounted.

After I ran the cable for the ohmic sensing module, I had to connect it into the control box. You can see the cable (blue) where it connects and the black wires right next to it are for it's own separate power source.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-box-connections-jpg

Last item is just a minor thing. I hadn't yet installed these galvanized covers on top of the x axis speed demon bearings. I think they're mostly to keep out water, on water tray tables. However, I think that anything that keeps trash out of the bearings is a great idea. They just stick on with double sided tape.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-shields-jpg

Velcro cost 4.49

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finished the last couple of wires for the ohmic sensing.

And then I powered it up. LED's make me so happy.

Looks like it's time to dig into the software. Gonna have to figure it out. I also need to get a power cord plug for the Hypertherm and maybe a ground clamp for it too. Otherwise, I think I'm ready for sparks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by INTJGuy View Post

I figure I'm probably going to get something wrong here, so if you spot something lemme know, and I'll get it sorted out.
    This is WRONG, the green cable goes to the ethernet port on the back of the PC. In related news, I found the manual on CandCNC's website. I was looking at the wrong one, and it wasn't helping.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm having some troubles getting things to move. I've got a thread going on CandCNC's support forum to try and figure it out. Flummoxed for now.

Gonna go ahead and document a coupla minor things.

First, The Hypertherm P85 comes pre-wired for 3 phase, but will run off of single phase. It also comes without a plug. So I removed the case and disconnected one of the power wires (the red one), just like it says to in the hypertherm manual, and added a plug on the end of the cord.

Velcro from a coupla posts ago and a roll of 16ga wire was 12.06
    I got an assorted pack of metal/rubber clamps so I could put one on the wires near the ohmic sensor. 3.26
    220 plug for the hypertherm's power cable 22.88

Grand total 13901.34

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160625_215437-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like the control box is going to have to go back for repairs. Sucks, but what're ya gonna do?

I don't like where I've put the control box on the machine. I've decided to move it to the front leg on the same side. Basically, it's because I have to have access to it in order to work the machine. But I also want to run ducting out that side, and I'm going to end up climbing over it constantly to get to the box. Not cool. I think everything will be long enough, except Z axis motor wiring, and the wires for the ohmic sensor which are cut to length. I can fix both easily.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well it's been 3 weeks, I probably ought to let you know where I'm at. I'm having major issues with the CandCNC control box. One of the reasons I haven't posted is that I couldn't nail down just exactly what my problem was. So, in a very abbreviated form.....

1. Couldn't get motors to move. CP light is dim to nonexistent. PC usually won't start the software due to "communication issues".

2. Returned the control box for warranty. They couldn't find anything wrong with it.

3. Returned the PC and all cables. Still couldn't find a problem.

4. Received everything back, still has all the problems, except now it has a flashing voltage light, intermittent of course.

5. Due to a faulty Multi-Meter, I sent the power company on a wild goose chase, twice. Long story short, I have good power, the muti-meter went in the trash compactor, and I'd bet the power company isn't real happy with me.

6. Picked up the control box, and heard it "clunk". WTF? Looks like there's a capacitor just floating around loose in there. I can barely see it where it's at, but it's definitely loose and free ranging.

7. I've filled out another RMA and will be returning it again in the morning.

Other than that I've bought some steel for the slat table, but haven't started working on it yet.
    Steel from the Yard Store 195.47
    Grand Total is 14,096.81

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I received the unit back from the second RMA and they've fixed the loose and roaming capacitors. The paperwork that came back with it stated that they had shaken the unit after the repair to check it. The reason I mention that is that when I picked it up, I could hear something (much smaller) loose in there. I opened the cover and a ball of solder fell out. I don't know how you'd miss that, especially when a customer is sending his brand new unit back for it's SECOND rma in a row.

Plugged it in, and it still doesn't work. Tom, on the CandCNC support board is telling me it's a communication problem. I'm trying to arrange taking a day off of work so that I can drive it down there (Kansas to Texas) so that we can quit playing the game where they tell me there's nothing wrong with it. This is has gotten ridiculous.

Ordered the system in May, received it in June, Spent July unable to get it to work and shipping it back and forth on RMA. It's nearly August and it's STILL not working.

To date I've paid out of my own pocket to ship the control box back twice, the PC once. Because it hasn't gotten fixed, now I'm going to lose one of my precious days of vacation from work so that I can roadtrip it down for show and tell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a video I made to show the CandCNC folks what was (not) happening. If you don't want to watch the pc start, after I turn it on skip to 2:05.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would be so pissed by now. To spend that kind of money and time to be so close, yet so far away from being done.

Have you tried different cables? Checked the connectors for any damage?

On electronics something crazy stupid simple will have you going around for hours sometimes,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tried different cables. Tried unhooking all the peripheral stuff just in case that was a hang up. Tried turning it on in various sequences. Have looked, checked, and verified anything I could see, test, or confirm. At this point I'd be willing to sacrifice a chicken to the Plasma Gods, if I thought it would help.

Downloads
    Uploads

When a PC does not light up the CP on the bladerunner there is a configuration that is holding it back. It my be a general configuration in your hardware settings in Linux. In the Windows Mach version it is almost always firewall or the wrong IP address. Good luck! I wish we had a shot to take care of you on the table side.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

On the settings....
    Maybe, but I don't know what'd make it come on dim.
    Also, according to the techs at candcnc, the whole rig checked out fine and ran good for them when they had everything in house.

On the table...
    Thanks. I'll keep it in mind if I ever do another (expansion happens). I gotta say I'm still pretty happy with the PPLLC stuff.

On the problems....
    Had a talk with Luke (head of repairs apparently) and I'm going to be getting a new PC and Control box. Also, some refunded shipping. Should be here Wednesday / Thursday.

Fingers Crossed!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And I just found this picture hiding underneath a widget on my desktop. Ooops, guess I forgot to put it up when I took it.

Took this to show the wiring I did. If you look closely you can also see the clamp I used to hold the wiring.

Precision Plasma 5x10 Speed Demon Build Log-20160624_005910-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

On the problems....
    Had a talk with Luke (head of repairs apparently) and I'm going to be getting a new PC and Control box. Also, some refunded shipping. Should be here Wednesday / Thursday.

Fingers Crossed!
    They put your box on the bench today (no PC came in with it so we used ours and she purred like a happy kitten. Tech called Luke an me over as a witness . Pulled it out of the box , plugged it in and fired it up. Your new unit went out WITH a new PC and new PWM modules . Make sure you use the new computer and start with our default "plasma" config. There are inneractive help screens in the Configurator.

TOMCaudle
    www.Candcnc.com

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast